Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Resonator Box

MIP

I've just changed my air filter for a blitz one (same size as the original, keeping the original air box and cool air feed):

filter.jpg

Its probably more down to the fact that the old filter was a bit old, clogged n' blackened, n fluffy (down to moisture I guess), but the impact has been good. No great power hike or anything, but it revs much more freely, and responds much more instantly. It does sounds a bit nicer as well, but I'd like to remove the resonator box and see what difference that makes to the sound of the engine.

Its a fairly straight forward thing I'm trying to do, but what could I actually use to plug the hole if I removed the resonator box? Ideally I'd want some kind of 'lid' that fits in the hole with a kind of rim to stop it actually being sucked in, but what to use?

try a pea tin or similar , inserted with the base pointing outwards.

Get an old pair of tights and cover the hole with them , layering them 2 or 3 times and seal them over it :D trim and voila !

Question: What actually happens if you remove the resonator? What does the resonator actually do? And there is also a small pipe connected... what does that do?

As for a plug well use a pringles lid.

Can you tell me what the results are like and post a pic when your done MIP?

Oh yeah! What's that running down he side of your air box and Battery? I have a SS2 and I don't have that?

Question: What actually happens if you remove the resonator? What does the resonator actually do? And there is also a small pipe connected... what does that do?

As for a plug well use a pringles lid.

Can you tell me what the results are like and post a pic when your done MIP?

Oh yeah! What's that running down he side of your air box and battery? I have a SS2 and I don't have that?

Well, that bit running down the side of the air box and Battery is the thing I'm talking about removing, it leads to nothing, its just for dampening engine sound I think. I can't imagine it having any other effect. As for the other box coming off the back with the pipe's, I'd guess thats for recirculating some exhaust for emmisions reasons.

I have one of those on my SS1. Will be good to know what effect it has.

On a recent run of 380miles I averaged 37.2 mpg doing 70mph when traffic and road works would allow. Almost compensates for being the slowest of the family... so take a note of what impact you think it has on your mpg. Dont fall guilty to stamping your foot down all the time due to the different engine tone you'll never be out of the petrol station lol, my mate did this and wondered why he was burning so much fuel.

I removed the resonator box from my GT last week, but I didn't notice anything special apart from the slight increase in engine sound when revving. I'm planning to install a dedicated cold air intake kit next, but the hoses connecting to the intake pipe as well as the temperature sensor are giving me some headache..

By the way, anyone know if there's an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve somewhere?

Hmm, it's only now that I took a better look at the pic posted by MIP.

What's that large black box left to the air filter? I don't have that on my GT, but it looks more like a resonator box than the small one near the edge of the engine bay I removed.. :P

my GT doesn't have the large box to the left of the air box/ Battery. It only has the smaller box at the top coming from the air box pipe, is THAT not a resonator box? i was going to remove that :huh:

The facelift model got the newer bodywork, more sound proofing, a larger exhaust manifold to improve throttle response (and a little more power), more exhaust recirculation to reduce emmisions, and that extra resonator box to reduce engine noise.

Well, having just stuffed myself full of the best (and largest) Balti I've ever made, I've got an empty "tesco value chopped tomato's" tin. Will remove the resonator and see if it fits the hole tommorow.

As for removing the other box, um dunno, might hurt emmisions and passing the M.O.T.

i removed the 2 resonator boxes and the air box... replaced with an induction kit and removed all the standard pipework to replace with a piece of samco ;)

just attach a breather filter to the pipe going to the smaller resonator box... and im pretty sure it will have no effect on emissions

Well, I used a 75p peice of plumming from homebase to fit the hole. If it does make a difference to sound, its too subtle for me to notice. So, waste of time there, if your thinking about doing this, I wouldn't bother.

resonator.jpg

i removed the 2 resonator boxes and the air box... replaced with an induction kit and removed all the standard pipework to replace with a piece of samco

just attach a breather filter to the pipe going to the smaller resonator box... and im pretty sure it will have no effect on emissions

Yea, I'm not spending cash to that extent on this car, I want a GT four :yes:

However, would't a little breather filter on that pipe just allow exhaust to go directly into the engine bay?

no it isnt exhaust, just air.

You wont notice the sound difference as you still have the original air box.

Ah right, I just guessed that those pipes where for sending a small amount of exhaust back round to clear some of the unburnt petrol due to emmision laws. I think thats what the additional yellow pipe on the left of the image above is to do with (only on the later facelift model, I guess the law got more strict). What are those pipes going into the back resonator box for then?

It does sound a little better with the new filter, just smoother, it sounded like it was pinking a bit under acceleration at low revs before. It's a very quiet engine at low revs, I'm not really after making it sound like a race car, otherwise I'd change the exhaust, I just fancied being able to hear it a bit better low down in the revs, but its no big deal really. I'm keeping the air box mainly to avoid heatsoak. The GT4's engine bay seems better ventilated so I guess its not so much a problem. That and its probably no where near as worth while doing on mine as it is on your beast of a motor. :drool:

Wait a second.. are there pipes going to the small resonator box (the one fitted to all models)? I don't remember disconnecting any pipes when I removed mine.

Time to visit the garage, I guess.. :P

Well, I used a 75p peice of plumming from homebase to fit the hole. If it does make a difference to sound, its too subtle for me to notice. So, waste of time there, if your thinking about doing this, I wouldn't bother.

resonator.jpg

Is that white thing hollow? If so, you've still got a resonator chamber (of some description) there. You really need to blank it off flush, or get a new pipe without the hole their. Is it really worth all the messing about?

I've sealed that bit of tube at both ends. Just with no idea of how much suction you'd get from the engine, I thought I'd be paranoid and use somthing that couldn't physically go round that corner.

I've come to the conclusion that its not really worth messing about with no. Its not much effort to change though. I just figure that if toyota decided to put it on there, it must have some kind of impact, but apparently not.