Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Engine

Red Yaris 54

Does anyone on here know if the 3 cylinder 1.0 engine fitted in the Aygo (and the New 1.0 Yaris) has a timing chain like the previous 4 cylinder 1.0 Yaris, or a timing belt?

If it is a belt, what mileage do Toyota recommend for replacement?

its a chain, so they never need changing which will save a few quid!!! :D

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

its a chain, so they never need changing which will save a few quid!!! :D

Never?? Thought it was 100k :unsure:

As long as the oil is changed on a regular basis, there is no reason why a timing chain should last the life of the average engine. At least you don't have the worry of a timing belt fail, which need to be replaced at least every 4 years, can be expensive to fit, and even more expensive if they break (which they often do and without warning as well).

Replacement of the timing chain is not listed in the service schedule for the Aygo - I've just checked.

Manufactures are now moving away from belts and going back to chains for the reasons mentioned.

I’m all for it :thumbsup:

• 8 years later...

Toyota Aygo 998cc, 2007 model. At 49,000 miles, i'm getting an occasional sound in the engine that sounds like a chin occasionally struggling to move smoothly on its gears. At first we thought it might have been the alternator pulley, however when we removed the alternator belt the noise persists. A mechanic has advised to replace the timing chain and guides as it seems the noise is coming from there. Has anyone encountered this?

• 3 weeks later...

Manufactures are now moving away from belts and going back to chains for the reasons mentioned.

I’m all for it thumbsup.gif

One major company VAG have reverse the trend on some of their engines. There were issues with the chains breaking, so they reverted back to belt.

Toyota have not any issues unless the car has not been serviced regularly, the chains should be fine.

its a chain, so they never need changing which will save a few quid!!! biggrin.gif

only as long as you do regular oil changes and using a good quality oil ,not the £3.00 for 5ltr's from your local supermarket

The only breakage of chain or belt that I have personally experienced, was 9 years ago on a 1.3 Yaris (the MKII Yaris). Just after having the timing chain tensioner repaired / replaced under guarantee, due to a short rattle on start-up.

The circumstances were that I was decending a hill on the overrun in 3rd gear (revs about 3,500), the chain broke and wrecked the engine. There was no prior warning at all.

BMW had problems with the timing chain and tensioners on the R56 Mini. For cars outside warranty and with a Mini service history, they considered goodwill help with repairs. For cars outside warranty and without a Mini service history goodwill wasn't available.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links