Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chipped Paintwork

Surinder

hi..

how do you go about touching up chipped paintwork. I've got two spots on my bonnet that need touching up. I still have the touch up paint that came with the car, but i'm not sure how to use it.

It looks a bit thick, so i'm guessing after i have dabbed some on it wont be smooth. How do i smooth it out so that it matches the rest of the car? t-cut it back down? :unsure:

also does the laquer top coat change the shade of the colour? or is it just for protection only?

TIA

Surinder...

go and get some of that turtle wax polishes that come with the little lip stick thing, itll take you a few days to build it up. but its the next best thing to painting it again.. try that mate.

in fact if you told me last week, ive got the stuff here, in the right colour and everything, my saxo was pretty much the same colour as your car. i could have gave you it at JAE, i dont need it anymore!

I've used one of those Turtle Wax sticks on my last car, can't say I'd recomend it, seemed a bit like it was making the chips worse...also it washed off in no time at all.

Don't spose anyone knows a majc cure for the scuff mark I've just incured on my black mirror after some :censor: hit me a half hour ago.... :ffs: We clipped mirrors at about 35mph cause he was to far over... :angry:

various cutting compounds may help

i remember reading on here that brasso is meant to be good for getting scratches out of plastic - have a go with that.

you must not have been using the turtle wax properly mate. i had loads of scratches on my saxo, (some bell end thought it would be funny to place a road cone on my roof :ffs: ) and this thing got em out, admitedly it took ages. you have to work it in, let it set and keep polishing over it. and do it for a few days at least. it took me about 3 weeks, but in the end my roof looked decent again. you could only see one of the really deep ones, and that was lots fainter than before. you just have to really work at it and pack it in tight.

bugger to hear about your wing mirror mate. and if there black plastic.. shoe polish does it nicely, makes em shine aswell :D

sounds like way too much hard work, use some touch up paint and dont be too carefull with it, then when it has dried and hardened (give it about a day in the sun) go back with a sanding block and some very fine paper, about 500grit rub it flat USING A BLOCK, then go over the whole area with 1000grit and it will appear dull but super smooth, then break out the t-cut and polish it up till it matches the rest of the car.

sounds like way too much hard work, use some touch up paint and dont be too carefull with it, then when it has dried and hardened (give it about a day in the sun) go back with a sanding block and some very fine paper, about 500grit rub it flat USING A BLOCK, then go over the whole area with 1000grit and it will appear dull but super smooth, then break out the t-cut and polish it up till it matches the rest of the car.

does this apply to mettalic paint as well?

yep, doesn't make any difference, unless its BLACK metallic then you get an annoying white line around the repair section and you need to paint the whole panel..... :crybaby: