Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Factory Radio Hilux Surf

Patdundee

Hi Guys

1993 Import (K Reg) Hilux Surf SSR-G Automatic

It has an original factory fitted Radio/Cassette/CD Player and I need to connect a band expander for english radio stations. There is no room at the back under the dash to do this and I do not realy want to start removing the Paneling if at all possible.

My Question

Is the large fronted standard fit radio the same as other makes (Ford etc) where you have two thin metal slides to unlock and remopve the radio? Or do I have to find another way of removing the radio to fit this expander

you have to remove it as its bolted in with 4 threaded screw/bolts.

this guide will help you - http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Toyota/PDF/869017.pdf

personally i'd opt for an aftermarket head unit , if you go to the trouble of removing the jap unit. :thumbsup:

Band expanders work okay (I'm using one now) but you have to guess what station your listening to because the display still says the wrong frequency. But if you change you headunit you end up with a big hole in the dash!

So pot luck with your radio stations, or big hole in dash ... you decide!!!

no need for a big hole either , you simply install a plastic pocket to go from double din to single din with no hole.

i have a stock radio cassette with band expander plus a single din pocket open to sensible offers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links