Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4: Very Dangerous Defect?

scoops

Hello Everyone,

I am the owner of a 2005 Rav4 L (and a 2006 Camry LE... I wish I would have waited for the new body style), and ever since the first day I drove it, I have noticed a very annoying and dangerous problem:

Whenever I drive through a puddle (slow or fast, it doesn't matter), it splashes the water straight up to my windshield and I am blinded for 4-5 seconds. In the Camry, the water splashes to the sides no problem.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem?

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem, as I have a 10 month-old son that I have to worry about as well?

Do I need new tires that might channel the water away, or an aftermarket part to add on to the bumper/wheel wells/etc?

Thanks in advance!

The previous model of RAV4 had a small black plastic splash guard to reduce this problem (at the bottom of the bumper) could be worth trying to adapt them to fit the later models, i'll get a photo of one of mine later today.

Thanks for your reply! :thumbsup:

It makes sense. I'll see if I can get my wife to drive through a puddle so I can see what it looks like from the outside. Unfortunately we don't have any video cameras though. If I can manage to get a pic of what's going on, I'll post it.

Thanks again!

As promise two photo's of the splash guards , not sure if they could be made to fit a 2006 model, or weather in fact they are already fitted ? :) .

RAV4cornershot.jpg

RAV4SPLASHFLAP.jpg

I've got a 1998 Freesport and have the same problem. It took me quite by surprise it happen to me :o as it wasn't raining so didn't have my window wipers on. I was driving at night on a road I didn't know and cars coming towards me!!! I scared me quite a bit!! :eek: I'm always ready now when I see a puddle coming up! My boyfriend loves it, he's a big kid at heart really and he always says to me drive faster through it!!!! :D Would be interested though if there is something that could be fitted to reduce this.

As promise two photo's of the splash guards

RAV4cornershot.jpg

these are NOT splash guards they are an aid to stability/aerodynamics

my advice would be to slow down when going through puddles as opposed to driving through them at 40 mph

Thanks for the input! I called the toyota parts department to see if they had these for my model. The guy seemed confused when I talked to him on the phone, so I'll just have to bring in a printout of the picture.

Thanks again. If I get these, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for the input! I called the toyota parts department to see if they had these for my model. The guy seemed confused when I talked to him on the phone, so I'll just have to bring in a printout of the picture.

Thanks again. If I get these, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Matt has said they are not spash guards, so if that's the case, not sure they will be any good to you :( , its just when i looked under the front of my Rav4 they (to me) seemed like some sort of guard, if thats not their job ,it back to the drawing board then with no solution to your problem :( .

This problem is not confined to the RAV4. It blights most 4x4`s. In fact the last 3 4x4`s i`ve owned, Daihatsu Fourtrak, Mitsi Pajero and Land Rover Discovery have all been badly affected by it. The problem is simply the amount of space available within the wheelarch area for water to build up, combined with wider than average tyres and a short overhang at the front of the vehicle. This bow wave effect tends to push the water out the front and then up & over rather than out the side.

Interestingly the problem also affects a lot of BMW saloons. Again caused partly by the short front overhang and the amount of water being pushed forward by wider tyres.

You soon learn to drive slower when it`s raining. :thumbsup:

:D Hey guys, thanks for you input. I have heard the same thing in 3 different sites now - these are for airflow, not meant to be splash guards.

I guess I'll just have to drive slower since I don't know what else to do. Maybe I'll invent something for all of us to use :thumbsup:

I guess I am just confusing why no one else (besides you guys :) ) are at least letting me know they have the same problem with their Rav4. Oh well, I guess that's life! B)

I discovered this problem while bombing around the wet and windy Highlands of Scotland in June. It certainly made driving the RAV more exhilarating!

First time it happened I was doing about 55 on a single track road - the automatic reaction is to panic and brake :unsure:

After a couple of times I hit the wipers as I approached a large puddle as well as slow down a bit.

I'm unsure as to what is available to counter the problem. As others have pointed out - it is not exclusive to the RAV.

All,

The Toyota guy said he had never seen anyting like that part, and added that it is definitely not a factory part, at least in the US. Oh well, it was worth a try!

Well, I guess I'll just have to accept this small fault. Thanks for your replies everyone!

You'll get used to it! I just put my wipers on by habit now as soon as a puddle becomes aparent.

Still catches me out though! :rolleyes: