Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Celica Ta22 1972

mrbvg

Hi guys, normally I'm only surfing on the Lexus forum (I was also at JAE, with my Mica Red Is200 with the ghost flames, for the members who where there).

This evening I am going to see to a Celica TA22 from 1972. It's meant to be a daily driver for my girlfriends birthday.

Are the any critical points wich I should really check?

Ofcourse the tipical roust points i know, but maybe things tipical celica things.

Many thanx.

Tim

where are u or where is the car? what do u know about celicas? and what are u expecting? i can tell u all the places to look, but if the car is close................

hi mate, I am living in belgium and the car is also in Belgium.

I don't know much on the celica itselve, but I know that most old japanese cars could be quit rusty.

A littlebit info I got from the present owner:

The machenical part is very good, there is a littlebit work to be done on the body (minor rust), but general good.

I mostly need info about the machenical part of the car.

I know what to expect, because I am restoring a 1967 Ford Mustang at the moment, so I know oldtimers can be pretty bad. But I am interested in this one because my girl is a toyotafreak and these celica's are still pretty cheap.

thanx

Tim

Ok, i'll deal with one section at a time:

Body.

water tends to run down the inside of the front wings and collects near the sills (behind the wheel arch) so this is the first place to look. Is easily cured by extending a pipe behind the top of the wing, and taking it all the way to the bottom of the wing.

Water also runs down both front and rear windscreens and will rust underneath the chrome strips at the base of the A-pilar. So deffinatly check hear.

The rear wheel arches can rust aswell, but this will be obvious.

A place where i didnt check on mine, but have been caught out, is the bottom of the doors!!!! these can rust like buggery.

Also check in the boot, underneath the cover, where the jack is kept, and also the down the inside of the wheel arches via the boot.

Obviously check the sills themselves.

Mechanically, well, check the struts and the rest of the usual stuff. Look for oil leaks etc.

The engines are generally bullit proof, the one you'll get in a TA22 ST is called a 2T or a 2T-B.... they use solex carbs and make great paperweights. Points are ok, as long as the system hasnt been fiddled with and your not told about it.... which happend in my case. Ive changed to electronic ignition which makes cold starting and life in general easier.

i'll be back in a sec

if its a GT car, or has a GT engine fitted then this is good!!

It will be called a 2TG and be twin cam and two mikuni solex sidedraft carbs.

err.....lots more but u'll have to dig a bit, give me some more questions.............

thanx mate, as far as I know, its not a GT car.

I will check the places on the body you've mentioned.

Anything special about the brake system?

A question, is it pretty doable to drive it daily in nice condition? It would be for my girlfriend you see.

What is the average fuel consumption ?

Thanx

Greetz

Tim

I did drive mine to and from work every day (60miles) until i blew the engine on track. But would reccomend the change from points to electronic....

My average fuel consumtion is around 15mpg.... :D :D but u'd be looking at 32 from what i remember before i started to play with things :D

The brakes are disks at the front and drums at the rear. Pretty simple really, im looking to change all this, but it all takes time :crybaby:

I bought it mate.

I was talking about the price because the brakes didn't work well. We made an agreement that he would repair the brakesystem for the same price :D .

The engine is very good, started from the first time and sounded very nice. Drove it as well, drive very smooth.

The body need some attention, there is some minor rust on the right door, right back and frod wheelpieces (dont know how to say in English).

It's a red one, but we are going to respray it in Black.

Thanx again for the given info, maybe you know where I can get a book with all the info of the car, like a technical info ao.

Greetz

Tim

Hmm, i got hold of a transport source book. Also theirs a Haynes manual - but only covers the U.S so its ok for general stuff, but they use a different engine. I can help u with most things engine specific, so if you have any more questions just PM me......."front wheelpieces" dont know what u mean, is that front wings or wheel hubs.......

Great buy though, i hope your girlfriend's happy with it. I know i love mine..... so much so that i chose it over my last girlfriend :D thats probably sad though :crybaby:

the front wing is what I meant.

If I got some questions, I will pm you, thanx aleady...

I don't have any pictures of it yet. Next Tursday I am picking it up, than I will take some pics with my digicam and post them.

My girlfriend really likes black, so we are going to respray it in black. So we can immidiatly remove the rusty parts :) ...

Greetz

Tim

Hi guys had an interesting read about the TA22 Celicas,I own a 1795 1.6 st and a 1973 1.6 st, being based in Northern Ireland those cars are very rare, ive only ever seen 4 of those here and none were a genuine 2.0 gt. I bought both cars off a guy in coventry area,the 1975 is a mint example, resprayed a midnight metalic blue,all new chrome and a cream and blue leather re-trim on the interior,its a beaut of a car.Im always asked to sell and offered big money for it. The 1973 is the early flat light model. It needs restored, not a big job needed, a littlt welding on floor and new sills,some cosmetics and wee bits of trim before a paint job. its engine is its best bit, with only 53,000 miles it runs and drives sweet. maybe someday when ive the good one totally finished ill tackle the bigger job,but i know they are a rare car to get and hard to get a good one and parts for. But i love both cars i wont sell them, and its good to have something so rare and different that lots of people love and would like to have. im a big toyota fan in general with mates who own all series of Celicas, Supras and my own everyday car is a really mint wee Corolla 1.3 GL, ill post photos soon of all my cars, talk soon guys.

Thats great to hear mate, do u do any of the shows in england mate? Nice to see more oldskool boys on the forum!!! :P :P

hi guys, I'm back.

I got the car on thursday and I starded "de-assembling" it.

1 problem came over, I loosend up the front wings. But the lowest part of the wing (at the door) is (I think) embrased to the chassis.

Can I just cut this trough and embrase it back on later or is there an easier thing to do?

Thanx & greetz

"embrase" Do you mean welded? if it is for some reason, it is welded, then yes cut it carefully and re-weld it back. I'll have to check when i get home.... but im sure its just 2 bolts underneath.

there was some rust on it and the previous owner probably used some filler to "close" it.

I will check it out this evening and also check for screws. Still a lot of work to do...

Thanx mate,

greetz

Tim

put your hand underneath the wing, right where it joins the sill and their should be 2 bolts... if theirs any filler, just use paint stripper or a screwdriver and chissel it off :D

I have to say guys, this thread is really interesting! keep us posted with how you're getting on and please put some pics up! :D

I have to say guys, this thread is really interesting!

Is that sarcasm? only joking!

If theirs any practical help anybody needs, just ask :D

Is that sarcasm? only joking!

Nah mate I know, I love reading about old Celicas! :blink: