Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Got Toyota Recall Letter Today

Bosnjo

Avensis 1.8 VVTi, Saloon 2005, Traction Control, Automatic AC

Just got Recall Letter from Toyota to take the car there so they can do the work on my steering rack. Letter says:

"... We have verified some Avensis cars equiped with EMPS (Electric Motor Assisted Power Steering) with possibility of gaining unwanted space between intermedium shaft and adjustable cardan that connect steering wheel with steering rack. If there was an excessive force applied on the steering, these parts may get loose or even separated, that might result in loosing the control of the vehicle..."

I guess (and hope) they are going to change the steering rack.

Dealer is official Toyota dealer Portugal.

Uhhhh, just thinking about what might happen if those parts get separate makes me wishing to keep the car parked untill going to the dealer. :crutchy:

This is :censor: pain. Have heard of 03 new models burning oil after 40k miles and now steering rack issues again. Had both problems on my last 01, although steering rack was different problem.

Thanks for update.

Avensis 1.8 VVTi, Saloon 2005, Traction Control, Automatic AC

Just got Recall Letter from Toyota to take the car there so they can do the work on my steering rack. Letter says:

"... We have verified some Avensis cars equiped with EMPS (Electric Motor Assisted Power Steering) with possibility of gaining unwanted space between intermedium shaft and adjustable cardan that connect steering wheel with steering rack. If there was an excessive force applied on the steering, these parts may get loose or even separated, that might result in loosing the control of the vehicle..."

I guess (and hope) they are going to change the steering rack.

Dealer is official Toyota dealer Portugal.

Uhhhh, just thinking about what might happen if those parts get separate makes me wishing to keep the car parked untill going to the dealer. :crutchy:

Looks like the same recall in the United States... but this notice tells you what they are going to do to fix it.

Recall Date:

MAY 31, 2006

Summary:

THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT AND SLIDING YOKE IN THE ELECTRIC POWER STEERING SYSTEM CAN CRACK WHEN LARGE FORCES ARE APPLIED AND THE CONNECTION MAY SEPARATE OR THE SLEEVE MAY FRACTURE.

Consequence:

THIS COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE.

Remedy:

TOYOTA WILL REPLACE THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT AND INSPECT THE SLIDING YOKE AND REPLACE IT IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:

TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. 60C

Went to Toyota today. They said to leave the car next week and they are going to inspect all parts and "DO REPLACEMENT ONLY IF SOMETHING WAS NOT OK!"

I asked what if everything was ok and the said they'll not replace anything in that case.

I'M SERIOUSLY THINKING NOT TO BUY TOYOTA AGAIN. They don't seem serious to me.

O.k. buy VW :clown:

I've got a 54 plate avensis with the electronic power steering. I've not recived a letter so i guess mine is ok, on the other hand tho it was not brought from a toyota dealer. I'm gussing tho toyota should be checking records with the DVLA to find who owns affected cars, or do they just go off there database, so cars brought outside of the toyota network get left out of the recall. Anyone shed any light on this, would help cos i'm going on holiday end of the week last thing i want is to end up going over the edge of the road in wales its a long drop of the hill roads. I've heard of early avensis models fitted with the electric power steering being effected but i was under the impression it was all sorted by mid 2004.

I've got a 54 plate avensis with the electronic power steering. I've not recived a letter so i guess mine is ok, on the other hand tho it was not brought from a toyota dealer. I'm gussing tho toyota should be checking records with the DVLA to find who owns affected cars, or do they just go off there database, so cars brought outside of the toyota network get left out of the recall. Anyone shed any light on this, would help cos i'm going on holiday end of the week last thing i want is to end up going over the edge of the road in wales its a long drop of the hill roads. I've heard of early avensis models fitted with the electric power steering being effected but i was under the impression it was all sorted by mid 2004.

Well, mine is 2005 and the letter I've got was from Toyota Imports Co. not from Toyota dealer who sold me the car.

Took mine into toyota other day has i noticed a rattle on the steering. Got there and the car would not rattle but the dealer ran a check on the vin number and mine has come back ok with no recalls against my vin number. Just to add my car is a September 2004

This is :censor: pain. Have heard of 03 new models burning oil after 40k miles and now steering rack issues again. Had both problems on my last 01, although steering rack was different problem.

Thanks for update.

Hi Aven man,

Has your 03 1.8 been buring oil, or have you hit the magic 45k miles or so yet?

I have the same model and year with 60k miles. Burning close on a litre of 5w/30 oil (recommended by toyota) per 1000 miles. Having a "trial" at the moment (Beware: Costs €70 for the priviledge of toyota changing your oil even in between services!!! Another story!) They used 10w/40 oil and so consumption now seems about half what it was. So i'm sure there wont be anything done with the car. In fact, I think I'll just trade and let some other dealer have the problem and get away from this rubbish altogether. At least I would feel like I am begging toyota for something!

I really have had it with this car and with Toyota. If they replace much more in it, it'll be a 05/06, a long litiny of problems and while the warranty is good, I have spent more time in the dealers than I care to recall. This is one long time and loyal toyota fan who has had enough!

(Feels better after the rant!)

Took mine into toyota other day has i noticed a rattle on the steering. Got there and the car would not rattle but the dealer ran a check on the vin number and mine has come back ok with no recalls against my vin number. Just to add my car is a September 2004

Steve84,

My steering got rattle at 1500 miles on the clock. I've done many visits to my dealer and cheef engineer finaly checked with Toyota Database and found out that it was normal and it was not to be treated as a fault. I've asked if it was normal how come the car didn't have it when I got it first and they said again: "It was normal. We can show you other Avensis cars comming here and you'll see your rattle is nothing compared to them." EXCUSE ME??? Camplaining that car in this class or any other just can't have that kind of noise simply didn't help. They said: "Don't worry, it's just air-bag spiral (coil) making that noise while turning the steering wheel because it has no enough space to fit well. But, it will not brake so NO to changing steering rack". I love those guys in Toyota, great comedians, they talk to the customers like we don't know anything about cars and I was even mechanic many years ago.

Let me tell you this one. Alarm mounted by Toyota as the optional request when I was buying my Avensis worked well for about a year. After that it started to go off by itself in the middle of the night. Took the car to the dealer and they said: "It's your fault because it's normal". FOR THEM EVERY FAULT IS NORMAL. "You are using it wrong way. When you go out of the car you have to wait untill light inside the car switches off and just then you may lock it using key remote". EXCUSE ME? (again). So, for them that was it. I took the car out and was ready to make complain to customer's service but just few miles after I got out of the dealer engine shut itself off (imobiliser), alarm sirene went off and car stucked in the middle of the road. I got back on foot to the dealer and just handed them a key and said: "It's few miles down the road. Go and pick it up and call me when you get the alarm problem solved". They called me the same day to go to get the car. They took the alarm off and ordered a new one. New one arrived a month and a half latter and they mounted it and now it's OK. It was 4-5 months ago.

Just one more thing. I've seen how it works if you do complain to customer's service of Toyota. They send the copy of your letter (with your name and licence plate number) to the cheef engineer to investigate the case and then he takes it to the cheef mechanic. At that point cheef engineer is angry and both of them go to look for the mechanic who treated your vehicle. After investigation concluded cheef engineer has to write the letter back to customer's service explaining what happened with apology. The problem is - all of them (from garage) get angry with you because you revealed their level of competence. So, next time you come for service... :hammer:

By the way, I asked if they get steering rack changed because of recall duty would that solve the rattle and they said no, it wouldn't because it's not that area to be changed.

Cheers

Bosnjo, Thanks for the reply, i was too told by the dealer that they have had a few avensis' with rattles, from the steering area. They said it was anything from a joint in the steering column where it goes into the engine bay, or it could be the steering gears chattering. The noise only developed about 100 miles ago, with 14400 miles on the clock. The airbag coil noise, my dads old model avensis had its replaced has it has a sound like rubber against plastic sound, when turning the wheel. The new airbag coil solved his problem, but the rattle i get is from the floorpan area just at the base of the steering column. the noise is most common when turning out of junctions or when slowing down with a slight lock either way applied. Also it happens when parking into tight spaces. But its not there all the time it may do it 5-6 times a day or not at all for a day or 2. Its not rattle from road surface change has i take the same route to work and back and it may happen some days and others not.

Hi Steve, i have the old model too (2000). The steering colom first had a small sound of cracking rubber when the engine was warm. This is solved by my dealer by lubricating a seal. There is still another sound sometimes on low speed manouveres when turning fast. This sounds more like screaming plastic to plastic ore rubber. The origin seems to be just under the dash. Sounds this familiar to the sound of your dads car?

Rene

For relevant UK recall info. check out a previous posting by uumode. I checked this out, printed off the remarks from the VOSA website and showed the dealer when I recently took my 2003 T3-X for a service. Worringly dealer didn't know about it and when I collected the car, they said the technician had spent only about 15 minutes on it so it wasn't a problem! I must remind my wife to sue Toyota if I go off a bend. Great car though, I am very satisfied with it. Recently got 40mpg at average above speed limit, with 4 up and boot full of luggage. Not bad for a 1.8 auto.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links