Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ae92 3sgte - 4agze

aarong420

im wondering for the time, and money i will have to put out, what would youll recomend i do., ive got an ae92 hatch 4 door. and want something reliable and fast, on a strait but mostly around corners was thinking of the 3sgte but with the work ill have to do, mounts, brakes, suspension, gear box hunting, axle modding. sound like stress since Im doing the conversion myself. also i believe the 3s might be too heavy to wrap corners with. but those are my optiong, ...oh and the 20V of course, but we only get the silver tops here.

so. 3SGTE, 4AGZE or 20V Slvr Top?

a properly converted 3s-gte will set you back about £6k doing the work your self. that will incl suspension and brakes. you use an MR2 turbo box so they arnt that hard to come by. drive shafts are a bit harder as you need levin supercharger ones. if your going the 3s route then only look at rev 3 engines from ST205 gt4's dont bother with mr2 ones as there are a lot of bits you will need from the GT4 lump for it to fit in a FWD car. bang for buck its prolly the best conversion

4A-GZE is a lot easier to do as it pretty much bolts in, with the only headache being the wiring changes. however getting over the magical 200bhp mark seems to be difficult.

20V personaly i wouldnt bother as there isnt enough about in this country to get the power up. parts are availiable in australia and the US but then there is the cost of shipping.

not really noticed a problem with handling with the 3s other than boost induced understeer.

as with any conversion it will end up costin about double what you budgeted ! :P

Thanks for the info..this is a really tough decision i have to make..the reason im stuck on the 3S is because im getting one for 1150$US complete with computer harnest bla bla.., dont know if thats a WOW price, but it seems nice to me..Also i can get coil overs for about 100US. so all that leaves is brakes, the gear box, axles and material for installation...im not sure if its the engine from a MR2 or ST205, but it's comnig with a 4WD box, so im thinking its not from a MR2. If i had some pictures of the installation, ill be able to make my decision easier, as ill know what im up against. What ill like to know, is what was the hardest part of the installation? Re-Locating the mounts, finding the parts, fitting the parts?.

Any pictures of this conversion will be very apriciated. Bless

if you click the link in my siggy itll take you to my (in great need of updating)web site. price sounds good. gearbox and axles shouldnt be too hard to find.

hardest part for me was the wiring, but having done another conversion since ive found its not that bad. as liong as your fairly handy at fabrication you'll be ok.

ill try and get some pics of my engine bay while the engines out to give you some ideas

Yo thanks alot man, this will definately get me going. I was hopeing to go with the 3S. My only concern is that I get the mounts in the correct place and angle, and hopefully I wont burn a hole in any thin metal while doing so. Pics of the mounts from top & side angles will be great to solve this.

If this pulls off, full credit to you man, ill send you pictures of the project as it goes along, and keep you updated.

Bless

no problems dude.

its quit hard to get the engine in wrong to be honest.and the chassis rails are fairly thick so no welding probs,

ill try and get the pics for you to give you an idea

Well i went to the place to see the engine and it turns out that its from the ST185, the guy there said it will work in the 92, but i cant take his word for it. wha do u say

• 3 weeks later...

the engine will fit in but you would be better trying to get a REV3 motor as youll have 45bhp more straight out the bag.

i will get those pics for you, sorry been up to my neck in it with the beast ATM

• 1 month later...

Yo dude it's been a while, i've been patiently waiting for a ST205 engine to come in, but after two months i'm giving up hope. Ill just use the ST185, no matter for the extra 45 bhp, although it will make a big difference. However the MR2 RWD box is hard to find, I can only seem to get the the 4WD box, is there any other option for this or should I continue searching?. Im determined to put the 3S, Im not wasting my time on the 4AGZE. Thanks

i think an st185 engine would do coz your still gettin around 200+bhp.and thats a lot in a front wheel drive,i bought a mr2 engine and box and just moved the mounts a little and droped it in.

Nice, MR2 engine and box...should work well... Dawesy suggested using the st205 3S, but where I live it will be almost twice the price of the ST185 3S, and im having trouble finding the rwd MR2 box (i believe thats what you use?) All the 3S engines ive seen here are coming with the 4WD box.

What about axles, what axles did you use for your conversion?

And is there any other gear box I can use in my 92?

i have heard the camry 2.2 manual box will fit but cant confirm this.

if you can get hold of an MR2 diff you can convert the 4WD box to 2WD. you will need the diff the end plat (availiable from toyota dealers and a drive shaft seal.

for drive shafts you can use either the levin supercharger shafts or with some mods an mr2/ gt4 hybrid shaft set up. you will need the shafts shortening by aprox 15mm though

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links