Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 Corolla A/c Problem...

HotPastrami

My A/C stops blowing cold after an hours driving time....freezing up. The dealer called it a 'harness' (?) problem and that the parts have to come from Japan and it will take 3 months!?! He also said some 300 or more Corolla's have the same problem? Sounds like a recall situation to me! Any of you hear of this?

Thanx...Jerry

I've noticed mine isn't as cold as i first got it :unsure:

and i always had a strange smell emitting from the ventilation, but never sure where it comes from.

I'm considering getting the A/C and change all the filters with it, but if i remember the price i got quoted from my Toyota grage, it was something like £150

but the car is less than a year old, is it suppose to do this??? :unsure::unsure:

I'ld get Mr T to check the gas levels in the A/C and buy a spray from Halfrauds that kills the bacteria in the A/C system which causes the smell...

Assuming you're in UK, support Gaz's initiative (see the AutoExpress thread below) and email the guy at

james_baggott@dennis.co.uk

and tell him about it...dont let Toyota get off lightly !!!

The Yanks have got the same problem...Just checked out the American "Defects/Solutions" Forum at www.2003Corolla.org, and this was posted a couple of weeks back....

"My car is almost a year old now. I got it last Sep, so I didn't use the the air conditioner a lot. I have noticed my problem about 1 month ago. I seldom take road trips. For the first road trip, the A/C went dead after 2 hours of continous driving (95F outside). There is just no air flow thru the vent even I crank up the the air volume. yesterday, about 90F, same problem happend. After 1.5hrs of drving, the AC just stopped working.

Anyone has this problem? should I take it to the dealer?"

I'll bet it's yet another Corolla cost cutting measure gone seriously wrong, along with all the other design faults discussed previously on this forum..

My car a Tspirit has the same smell when you turn the A/C off the air smells for a while. I too have noticed the cold air warms up after a period of use. I don't think i could add any more problems to an already growing list!

There is an air conditioner sanitiser out there most toyota dealers should have some, it gets sprayed into the system and should eliminate all odours, i advise paying them a visit and enquiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, don't know if anyone is still reading this post, but I know what the problem is. I experienced it within the first 1000 miles on my move up to college. The problem is a resistor that has a bad value on the control board. After a certain time, it shuts the a/c off to prevent overheating or something, even though it's not even close. Just go in, it's uner a service bulletin..so they'll replace it for free, since then, drive home from college, the a/c works fine. PS, this is about a 2003 Corolla CE personally, but see if it applies to you, adios!

Evan :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links