Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Getting A Yaris

paulus

Im thinking of getting a 1ltr 3dr yaris in the next few weeks and I have a few questions for you all :help:

1. Is it worth paying the extra thousand to get the T3 over the T2 as im not fussed about the cd player

2. Does it really make as much noise at 70mph as the reviews say

3. Does the restricted rear view cause any of you problems

4. What price would you expect to pay for the T2 1ltr 3dr and what extras would you try to get thrown in ( it already has free insurance)

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

edit: Im in the uk

i'll answer in order :)

1. Can't comment, I have the old yaris and don't know much about the new T2 and T3 etc

2. Yes it makes alot of noise at 70mph, it's a tiny engine being strained alot

3. I don't find the rear view restrictive at all, it's alot better than new clio's

4. Not sure on price for these, check www.motorpoint.co.uk for a price and www.drivethedeal.com ... once u have the price target u can take the quote to a toyota dealer (if thats what u wanna do) and throw down the gauntlet for them to match it

hope that answers some of ur questions

ive driven loads of little yaris' they give me one every time i get my car in the garage.

there great little engines.

1. only get the upgrade if you want all the extras. can you live without a cd player, air con, alloy wheels etc. the engine is exactly the same throughout the ranges.

2. i personally used to rag the life out of the 1.0 (coz it wasnt mine) and i dont think its that bad. its a nice noise coz its a 16 valve. dont make it out to sound poo!

3. rear view isnt restrictive at all. whoever told you that is a ******

4. price wise. go and buy what car. and always, always, always blag yourself free matts, flaps, full tank of petrol, and at least 100 quid off what car' recommended price. at the end of the day, theres no great demand for the car, and they still earn money..

Im thinking of getting a 1ltr 3dr yaris in the next few weeks and I have a few questions for you all :help:

1. Is it worth paying the extra thousand to get the T3 over the T2 as im not fussed about the cd player

2. Does it really make as much noise at 70mph as the reviews say

3. Does the restricted rear view cause any of you problems

4. What price would you expect to pay for the T2 1ltr 3dr and what extras would you try to get thrown in ( it already has free insurance)

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

edit: Im in the uk

yeah your local toyotas will match prices currently with drivethedeal.com. I saved myself £1074 for the tsports from the dealers.

The t2, t3 and tspirit are all available in th 1.0 engine

t3 comes with electric windows and 4 Speakers, cd player remote central locking and airbags.

you wont find this on t2

tspirit has the same as t3 and color bumpers, alloys, air con, fog lamps and a few other things i cant remember.

I think that the t2 is too basic youll really need to get your moneys worth. go for the t3 at least possibly the t spirit.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup: just one more question :D

Does anyone know if the tape player can take any external inputs at the back. I want to connect my Pocket PC through it but I dont want to use one of those tape converter things.

not that i know if mate.

but, i recon you could somehow mod a cd changer cable to run an external source, but ive never tried it. but in theory its dooable with a little sparky skills.

I bought a Yaris a few months ago. I now wish that I hadn't. I have had minor problems with an ill fitting door, trim that has come off and a irritating noise in the engine (dealer cannot diagnose).

I don't know if the French made Yaris are worse than the original Jap ones but personally I would look at the Honda Jazz as an alternative.

YMMV - but be warned....

I used to own a 1.0l GLS Yaris as my first car, and it was a great car to learn how to drive in etc. The only problems I had, was with the power of the engine - it was fine with just me and front passenger in it, but when you try and go up a hill with more than two people or with luggage in it, it struggled pretty embarrassingly!

The engine is great for a 1.0l, but it wasn't long before I had to chop it in for something that could cope with my everyday life a little better.

Visibility is great out of the Yaris, so there's nothing in that story.

My Yaris's have both been Japanese-built, and have run perfectly. I have heard other corresponding stories about these French-built cars though, and I'm glad that I have what I have!

Good luck with your new car, and I hope that it proves no problems for you.

Pav

I got one of the original ones about 2 weeks after the uk launch, its fine, i am just changing the sound in it cause its starting to rattle and as its a 99 one its not got a warranty. As a first car i find it great (although i did learn to drive in a 1.3 starlet). My only complaints with it i think i caused by wanging it into a transit van on the 4th lane of the m6 but they fixed it and no-one was hurt (the air bags never even went off but thats cause it was less than 30 mph), so the gear box is a tad clunky and the front of the car (inluding the engine cause i smashed that up too) has done 20,000 miles and the rest has done 54,000.

The engine is not that slow, its got more go than its competitors (corsa and saxo) but as pavlitos said, fill it with too much and it will grumble.

Once the stickers are taken out of the back window its fine and goes well.

Try and get what u can out of the dealer, they need to make there sales figures too!! buyt then, your gettin a car at the start of the month, maybe consider waiting till the end or middles to make sure they sell u a good deal.

Mat

I have the 1.3 L version, its fast enough to play around with it!! :P If you need to make a choice between a 1 L or a 1.3 L go for the second one!!!!

I have driven both Yaris 1.3(before facelift),the japanese has better steering wheel,generally it has a better sense.The French made Yaris has an awful steering wheel very light and I believe that it is dangerous when you are running a road full of corners.

A few days before I drove the new Yaris 1.3(french made) I think that it has more torque power in the low rpm?what's your opinion?

Why dont go and test drive all cars that they are in the same category as Yaris?

thanks for the replys everyone

Im thinking of test driving the following before I go for the yaris.

Skoda Fabia

Seat Ibiza

Ford Fiesta

Clio

just about everything apart from a saxo !!!

The Skoda... good car.. depends whether the Badge worries you?

Seat Ibiza... great car... go for the 1.4/1.6 SE if possible...

Ford Fiesta... I wouldn't bother...

Clio... Nooooooooooo! it'll spend more time in the garage than on your drive...

The Yaris is the most reliable out of the bunch... plus does have an okay spec list...

i agree with fidgets.

yaris is probably the best one,

but the ibiza (new one) is great. i had one for a while before i got the yaris, the engine makes such a nice nois. and it does go some.. great little car.

skoda wil be the same as the ibiza, same engine, different Badge.

The only thing putting me off the ibiza is that you have to be 25 to get the free insurance. Im not bothered about the Badge at all so the skoda is a possibility.

I thought the new fiesta was supposed to be a good car apart from the fact it looks like the front of a squashed focus stuck to the back of a corsa.

• 6 months later...

My Wife is just chopping in her 2001 5 dr 1.0 GLS for a new T spirit with the 1.3 lump in a couple of weeks. She won't have anything else. She has done 34,000 absolutely trouble free motoring in 2 1/2 years. We all went away in it for Xmas, thats me (16 1/2 stone/17 1/2 stone on return journey), her, and 3 kids plus luggage, and the 1.0 coped just brilliantly whilst averaging 52mpg (according to computer). Her only complaint is the amount of wind drone when one of the windows is opened. Trust me the car is a gem and I can't praise it enough. Only reason for the 1.3 upgrade is the price difference is much less than it was when we bought two years ago and the kids are getting heavier. French/Japanese ?, dunno what hers is and don't really care, but whatever it's !Removed! great. Apparently any glitches on the French ones have been ironed out on the new Facelift models.

BK

Try a couple of grages because some (McCathy, Sidcup) will not haggle at all and are not all that great. You thought about the D4 1.4 looks quite good on paper and reviews seem good and better performance than 1.0. Also can be chipped.

Noise wise you get used to it and you can turn the volume up on the radio.

Well since your getting a T-spirit the wind noise wont be a problem because you won't need to open the windows now you have AirCon.

The last one had air-con, but somehow didn't have much effect when three kids in the back start farting :P

But hey, the new one's got a sunroof too, maybe that'll help LOL

BK

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links