Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Judder

tbourner

I've searched and found a few other people have had this problem, but it sounded like it was a clutch being cold issue - mine does it when I've been driving for ages as well.

It doesn't do it if I slip the clutch for longer when pulling away, only when I try and get off the clutch quickly, like getting off the line a bit quicker!! :P

In this thread:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27635

Minidoughty said you had a similar problem but plugs fixed it? Do you remember why it was? I have a misfire when under load as well (with air con on for example) so was worried about my ignition system anyway.

Also read in a thread it could be the ECU doing it?!?

So it could be clutch, ECU, plugs, HT leads, coil packs, Battery. Anything else?

Going into Mr T next Friday, guarantee they'll say "There's no error codes so nothing's wrong with your car." again!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah that was near the 60k service where the plugs were due for a change, found out they hadn't been changed on the 40k service!!! lucky it was the same garage, who where very apologetic, and sorted me out with new ones :thumbsup:

But since then it has happened once but only in heavy traffic, on a hot day, with lots of clutch use, which would probably happen on any car in those conditions. Probably just needs a blast down the motorway!!!

Quoting Viper7 from the previous thread:

I get this clutch judder every single morning...have always since new (3 years ago) MR T told me that they had also heard it from a few other people, as I went to get it checked...they said that they found nothing wrong on the other motors and simply said it's because the plates are cold and tend to snatch a little.

Pain in the neck for me...as I need to pull out of a tight country road onto a busy A-road each morning...it really must be knackering the transmission, most cold days as I pull away hard it's just "bang bang bang bang" as the clutch plates get a hold....then lose it...they just don't seem to "slip" as they should. Never happens after that...until the next cold morning.....

Vipes

This is exactly what I get. I only have to pull onto a 30mph road which isn't that busy usually, but if you pull away normally instead of gently, letting it slip to buggery you end up with the car shaking violently, BANG BANG BANG!!! as the clutch does who knows what.

but after that initial pull-away, I may perhaps get it juddering slightly on the roundabout nearby my house - after that, its fine.

until the next day.........

So that'll be the clutch issue. We thinking my problem is more related to power loss on high load situations, pointing to plugs or something similar?

Your's could be a clutch issue still, but not quite the same as the rest of us it would seem.

I imagine that its got nothing to do with the plates for some of us, but its something else - like a spring or something?? (I dont know enough about clutches to be sure though) because if you slip it a whole load its just fine, its always when you bring the plates together a bit harder than normal, or just not gently as when slipping them a lot.

I'll see what I can find out - I know some people who work @ Toyota.... maybe they'll have some info?

That'd be good.

Ask them just how good the onboard error code system is as well, as that's all I get from Mr T down here - they must think the codes are god or something!! I KNOW WHEN MY CAR ISN'T RIGHT why don't they just forget the codes and drive the thing!!!

You think toyota are bad with codes, don't buy yourself a VW or Audi.

those cars are rigged up with computers EVERYWHERE.

each door in a VW Golf has 2 computers in it.

a computer, for the door.. the DOOR!!! one to control the window and one for the locks.

theres 2 or 3 behind the fan controls as well, one behind the light controls - you get the idea!

but yes, thats cars these days... codes are the first thing they check as its minimum effort.

Mate at work bought a Vectra SRi, took it in with a fault after about 3 months and they phoned him up and said the onboard computer has recorded a maximum engine rpm of over 6500, which is outside the running in spec, and they can't honour the warranty!!!!!!!

ouch!

absolutely nothing wrong with running an engine in hard - in facts its the best way to get the piston rings to get a perfect seal - treat the car really bad for the first 20 miles :P

just get the brakes & engine up to temperature gently, and then thrash it!

I wonder if the ECU remembers stuff like that after you have unplugged the Battery for a while!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links