Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Is My Maf?

funkyg

Ok, finally got round to cleaning my MAF sensor yesterday and struggled to find it!

Using the following link as a reference

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...p;id=50&c=9

The only sensor in the airbox looks like the air temp sensor. Followed the air pipe from the air box, and there is nothing on there at all. At the opposite end of the air pipe, (I had to take the plastic engine cover off to see this) it connects to something at the back of the engine, and on the front of this it looks like it could be the MAF but I'm not sure.

Is this it?

MAF.jpg

When I took the air flow pipe off at this end there was what looked like a brass shutter valve that was closed.

Oh, BTW, it's a 2001 2.0 vvti

If it is I couldn't take it off anyway because it is held in place with what looks like Torx/star driver screws but they have a 'nipple' in the middle to stop you using a normal Torx/star bit. Does anyone know where I could get a screw driver or Torx bit to fit this?

Cheers.

Mike.

I asked the question a couple of days ago, but didn't get a response. I may just ask my dealer (parts dept) to tell me.

Your MAF is in the Air filter box. The MAF and Air temperature sensor is integrated in the same device. It is held wit two screws in the box.

Your MAF is in the Air filter box. The MAF and Air temperature sensor is integrated in the same device. It is held wit two screws in the box.

Beardie:

So what's this!? I'm confused.. are there two air temp sensors, one individual, one integrated with the MAF? :wacko:

Sorry to doubt your knowledge, but where abouts in the airbox?

I took the top off the air box, and there was just a simple air temp sensor in the top half, nothing else. Took out the filter and there is nothing in the bottom half of the air box either. The only thing I could find that looked like a MAF from the outside is the the thing I took a picture of.

Mike.

Then your Avensis must be different than mine (and others). Can you post a picture of your air temperature sensor?

Hi,

I can add to this ..although mines a 1.8 vvt-i 2001 .

i cleaned mine last night, if you take the airbox as a start point, the wide rubber pipe that runs from it,were they connect to each other..you should see the outer cover of the Maf sensor ,this can be took out ,with the two cross head srews, mine was a bit mucky and was cleaned with a cotton bud and some proper cleaner.

i hope this helps, the only thing i cant confirm is if the 1.8 and the 2.0 maf sensor is in the same place?

cheers Mavrik2k3

Then your Avensis must be different than mine (and others). Can you post a picture of your air temperature sensor?

OK these pictures are a bit better.

There is deffo no MAF sensor on the air filter box, as seen in the first picture. ANd I also highlighted where I think the MAF is.

The second pic is a zoomed in pic of what I think is the MAF.

It looks like the one on the Lexus site, which is on the air box.

I've linked them cos they are a higher res than my original pic.

http://www.funkyg.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1.jpg

http://www.funkyg.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2.jpg

Is this my MAF???

Cheers guys.

Your highlighted area is far away from the air filter box.

Too the right in Pic 1, what is the connector for below the "RELAY & FUSE" box? I bet that is your MAF. :)

Your highlighted area is far away from the air filter box.

Too the right in Pic 1, what is the connector for below the "RELAY & FUSE" box? I bet that is your MAF. :)

That is the air temperature sensor I refered to in my above post.

I have been informed today that my avensis does not have a MAF sensor. I don't know if this applies to the MK2 aswell.

Breaking news !!! You can stop trying to find your MAF because the MK1 (and Mk 2 I think) with the 2L D4 engine does not have a MAF sensor.

Instead it senses the vacuum in the intake manifold in order to calculate the intake air volume. This is refered to as a "D-Type" injection. The latest Avensis with the same engine does have a MAF as well as the manifold vacuum sensor. This is refered to as "L-Type" injection.

The 1.8 l VVTi engine does all have a MAF sensor.

Yep you're right on that one.

The 3S-FE, 7A-FE (1.8 and 2.0) engines don't have a MAF sensor. Not sure weather i've remembered the engine codes there exactly but you get the picture. Basically these are the older none VVTi engines.

These use a combination of a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) and IAT (intake air temp) sensors to do the job. The map is a little sensor with a vacuum hose connected to it straight from the inlet manifold. They are usually mounted on the bulkhead or there abouts. The IAT is normally just pushed into the airbox secured with a rubber grommit.

On most cars the MAF sensors are mounted in such a way that the airflow to or from the airbox flows directly through them. This is required as it passes a fine element.

Hope that clears that one up a little!!

Now i'll stop going on! :thumbsup:

Yep you're right on that one.

The 3S-FE, 7A-FE (1.8 and 2.0) engines don't have a MAF sensor. Not sure weather i've remembered the engine codes there exactly but you get the picture. Basically these are the older none VVTi engines.

So does my 2001 2.0 vvti 1az-fse have a MAF?

It's deffo not on the air box.

Cheers!