Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis-gearbox From Hell?

chez71

please help, My car has had a faint tapping noise for a few months now, only heard when you press gas pedal, however, carried on driving for many many miles and recently passed MOT. BUT.... two days ago, whilst doing 60mph, car gave out a bang and schreeched to a halt. Unable to get into gear to park in a safer place till AA came, gearbox was solid. When AA tried to tow me, the front wheels had locked, will I have to re-mortgage house to pay for repairs, Im really scared now!!!. No other probs with Gearbox in the 14months I had the car, in fact very smooth and solid stick!!. Car is 1.8VVTI, 42,000, 02 plate

Someone help me sleep tonight.

Cheryl :crybaby:

Hello Cheryl, :thumbsup:

Sorry to here of your troubles, dont mean to rub salt in the wound but for future reference when you hear something strange get it checked out soon as you possible. :crybaby:

As for sleeping tonight have you tried nytol? :lol:

Hello Cheryl, :thumbsup:

Sorry to here of your troubles, dont mean to rub salt in the wound but for future reference when you hear something strange get it checked out soon as you possible. :crybaby:

As for sleeping tonight have you tried nytol? :lol:

Thanx for that, I did ask a mechanic to check it out but because it was such a faint noise he hadnt a clue where it was coming from, plus the car was running same as usual, he told me to carry on driving it, but thanx 4 nothing anyway..... :censor:

Sounds like it was the shaft bearings that had collapsed which is a common problem. Mine is doing it now n can only be heard on over-run whilst slowing down in gear. Was gonna try some gear oil treatment but think I might be pi55ing in the wind!

Sounds like it was the shaft bearings that had collapsed which is a common problem. Mine is doing it now n can only be heard on over-run whilst slowing down in gear. Was gonna try some gear oil treatment but think I might be pi55ing in the wind!

Thanx for your help, that doesnt sound tooo dear!, at the garage at the moment, so waiting to hear, I am in bits!!!!! :blink:

Cheryl

The noise sounds like my old corolla 1.4 vvt-i did when stripped down it was found the main shaft bearing was on it way out. The car had done 49k at the time.

Thanx for your help, that doesnt sound tooo dear!, at the garage at the moment, so waiting to hear, I am in bits!!!!! :blink:

Cheryl

thanx Steve, what was the damage ,cost wise? ;)

The noise sounds like my old corolla 1.4 vvt-i did when stripped down it was found the main shaft bearing was on it way out. The car had done 49k at the time.

Thanx Steve, what was the damage, cost wise? :wacko:

Oh dear..... I dont like the sound of this thread. I got mine about a month ago (R GS 76K) and with the last few days noticed a tick noise at low speeds when working the gas peddle as well as a sticky change in and out of second. :(

Oh dear..... I dont like the sound of this thread. I got mine about a month ago (R GS 76K) and with the last few days noticed a tick noise at low speeds when working the gas peddle as well as a sticky change in and out of second. :(

Hi there Bawflinger!!!

Just out of garage, Shaft bearings collapsed in gearbox, causing gears to lock together, and then front wheels whilst on tow. Cost £385 to fix, !Removed! nightmare, mine started with faint subtle noise when pressing gas pedal, though didnt go for about 3 months and several hundred miles later!!!

Chez71 :thumbsup:

Cheryl

Cannot not help on cost front got rid and had avensis when i found out, but i should think 385 quid aint far off the mark tho.

Cheryl

Cannot not help on cost front got rid and had avensis when i found out, but i should think 385 quid aint far off the mark tho.

I've been told that was reasonable, even though that hurt :crybaby: I hope this is it for a while, thanx all, you were all spot on cheers :thumbsup: Chez71

Well heres a welcome turn up for the books. I was due to take her in for a checkup until I noticed the clicking only seemed to happen when the drivers window was all the way down on auto!!! After a bit of testing, it would appear that either the motor or something inside the panel is making the noise when puting the foot down. Remedy, bring the window up a wee touch= no noise at all. It is very faint so I am not going to worry about it. Now, that sticky gear change.........

I get the same clicking noise from the front passenger door window when it is all the way down and yep, if you bring it back up a 1/4 inch it stops. It is almost as if the sensor doesn't realise the window is already down and keeps trying to lower it. Can it be adjusted do you think ?

Then again it is electrical so I'd best leave it alone. (see thread about dodgy alarm on avensis 98)

Well heres a welcome turn up for the books. I was due to take her in for a checkup until I noticed the clicking only seemed to happen when the drivers window was all the way down on auto!!! After a bit of testing, it would appear that either the motor or something inside the panel is making the noise when puting the foot down. Remedy, bring the window up a wee touch= no noise at all. It is very faint so I am not going to worry about it. Now, that sticky gear change.........

My car still does not feel right, I do not know if i have lost all confidence or what, but I did right to Toyota UK and received a nice but quite patronsing letter back, stating that Toyota's come with a manufactuters warranty of 3 years or 60,000 miles whichever is sooner, I did state that mine had only done 49,000 miles so why the hell did the shaft bearings go?

Chez 71 :eek:

Hi m8, my 2000 avensis has 33000 on it and my g box or clutch sounds nasty, its like a whezzing sond if you know what i mean, my problem is the other way from yours though, i get the sound when cruising, it goes away though when i press my gas pedal, anyone any ideas, its driveing my crazy?, thx all TRIG;].

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links