Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Help Me Identify These Wheels

jonlawes

Hi there to fellow Jap Car owners, I'm not a toyota owner (though I did have a GT-Four for some time) but have an MX5. The wheels I have recently fitted are a little hard to trace; at first I thought they were Watanabe but can't see the three crane logo anywhere, so its not that. The spoke pattern does not look right for a panasport or Minilite, but the only other person I have met with these exact wheels got them off an imported AE86, hence I'm here! Could anyone assist me with identifying the manufacturer of these wheels? No-one on the MX5 forum has managed and whilst it won't exactly revolotionise my life I am keen to check their provenance. The spokes are hollow, they are 14" and incredibly light (possibly even Magnesium). Even if they are cheapo copies I am not too worried, they cost me £50 the set.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Jon.

(P.s. Moderators, these pics may be large but have small file size for dial-up people so shouldn't need resizing, many thanks).

wheels0028eo.jpg

wheels0030cy.jpg

wheels0047tm.jpg

I reckon there one of these

RS Watanabe

Watanabe Type F8

loads of info on wheels here http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pa...eel%20Guide.htm

they could also be speed stars

Could be, though I can't find the Three Crane logo so presumed they were not the Wanatabe. However I will do more research on the speed stars, thanks. I have been suspecting Black Racing wheels but again, no makers markings.

Thanks for the help.

They could be BR racing. They have been doing replica Watanabe's for some time now, i had both BR's & Watanabe's before and they looked identical. Watanbe's have the three crance logo & BR have a similar logo but it has an embossed BR logo. With these wheels i can only assume they have had the logo smoothed off!

They could be BR racing. They have been doing replica Watanabe's for some time now, i had both BR's & Watanabe's before and they looked identical. Watanbe's have the three crance logo & BR have a similar logo but it has an embossed BR logo. With these wheels i can only assume they have had the logo smoothed off!

I did wonder about that, but the embossed surface texture seems perfectly even all over. Its kind of like orange peel (but intentional, not the same as I get when I spray things! )

Many thanks for all the help guys, I think whoever made them just wasn't keen on showing off their name!

AE86 wheels wont fit an MX5 though as AE86's are 114.3mm and MX5's are 100mm.

But that doesnt change anything for you, i just felt i had to state that! haha.

have you ever had the tyres off them, to see if there is any hint on the inside of thr rim?!?!

AE86 wheels wont fit an MX5 though as AE86's are 114.3mm and MX5's are 100mm.

But that doesnt change anything for you, i just felt i had to state that! haha.

have you ever had the tyres off them, to see if there is any hint on the inside of thr rim?!?!

Good point! I had assumed AE86 was 100 as well as the only other person I have seen with wheels identical to mine claimed to have got them from a corrolla. Now I now differently...

Thanks for setting me straight. I will look inside them next time I have the tyres changed.

4 STUD p.c.d wheel info:

4 x 114.3mm (4.5”) - 70’s and 80’s RWD Toyotas (inc. Corollas and Celicas) and Datsuns (and MGB, Triumph Stag, Austin A60/Morris Oxford etc.!), although some early 70’s RWD Corolla KE10’s were 4 X 110mm.

4 x 100 - Toyota FWD Corolla, Paseo, Starlet, Yaris and MK1(pre 90) MR2 (MK1 MR2 is only rwd Toyota to have pcd of 4X100). Also Honda Civic, Mazda MX5.

Although p.c.d may be same remember to check offset and centre bore size when changing/trying out wheels