Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Recall

Bosnjo

As I've posted earlier, I've got Recall Letter for possible steering failure.

It's been marked for today. I've picked the car up in the afternoon and they said they'll phone me as the part to be changed has just been ordered (see my previous post about Recall Letter). They said steering system is damaged.

Sad, isn't it? My Avensis is from January 2005, 1.8 VVTi Saloon, AND WITH ONLY 17.500 KM ON THE CLOCK. I've never hit the sidewalk, any big hole, no hard steering driving.

I've been so carefull with the car.

As I've posted earlier, I've got Recall Letter for possible steering failure.

It's been marked for today. I've picked the car up in the afternoon and they said they'll phone me as the part to be changed has just been ordered (see my previous post about Recall Letter). They said steering system is damaged.

Said, isn't it. My Avensis is from January 2005, 1.8 VVTi Saloon, AND WITH ONLY 17.500 KM ON THE CLOCK. I've never hit the sidewalk, any big hole, no hard steering driving.

I've been so carefull with the car.

So, are they not repairing it under recall, because they said you damaged the steering?

So, are they not repairing it under recall, because they said you damaged the steering?

No, that's not the point. They will take care of everything as Recall. They don't blame me at all, but the letter said that damage can happen only if hitting sidewalk few times or heavy duty driving. Even then, they'll take care of it free of charge.

The point is that it happened anyway, even I haven't done anything described in "Recall Letter".

When I got the car as new, I was so hapy and felt that I have strong, reliable and long lasting car. Now I feel very bad about it and going to sell it at beginning of 2007. I don't even enjoy driving it anymore. It gave me so many problems and I'm just fed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thay've just called me and marked for 12th of October as just then they're gonna have the parts. I hope the steering will not fall all apart till then.

Have mine booked in next Monday week for the same recall. Will let you know how I get on.

Have mine booked in next Monday week for the same recall. Will let you know how I get on.

Do you have it booked for part inspection or to change the part already?

Mine has been inspected two weeks ago but part takes long time to come because there are too many orders (they said).

My concern was what if they said the part was ok and then it fails few months later. But the part was damaged so they'll change it. I wasn't able to feel any problem on the steering. Now I drive it carefully because I fear it may fall apart. I have to wait until 12th of October.

Cheers

what models ???? need a new rack

Mine is 2005 1.8 VVTi Saloon

It's not whole the rack, it's one shaft on the bottom that Toyota says may loose tightness or even fall apart and cause loosing of the control over the vehicle (according to the Recall Letter). That's why I got worried and drive carefully waiting for the part replacement, as they already checked mine out and said it's damaged and not tight anymore.

what models ???? need a new rack

Its splines on the steering shaft i was told. It only 1.8's effected has they use the electric power steering. Had mine checked mines a 04 54 plate and my chassis number has come back has clear. I knew there was a problem on the 2003 1.8's but i was under the impression it was all sorted by 2004. Looks like i was wrong, took mine to dealer last month cos i'd noticed a rattel on the steering from the colunm area, turns out to be chattering steering gears quite common problen no cause for concern. Thats what the tech said and hes a good friend of a work mate so i'd doubt he'd try to fob me off.

'Concern : STEERING - WEAR OF THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT SPLINE

Description : It is possible on certain Avensis models fitted with Electric Motor assisted Power Steering (EMPS), that the intermediate steering shaft was incorrectly assembled, this can result in premature wear of the shaft splines. This is identified by the abnormal noise produced, however, if the vehicle continues to be driven in this condition, it may become difficult, or in the worst case impossible to steer.'

Odd thing is that VOSA's Recalls Database still has no record of the 2006 announcement????

(It does have records of previous steering recalls, but not 2006)

for those in the UK who have had the 2006 'fix' what is the recall number??

"This database records all UK recalls from manufacturers. If a manufacturer has reason to recall a vehicle it will contact the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) who then assign it a unique recall number, which is also transmitted to the DVLA should the manufacturer need the vehicle keeper information."

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices...ineservices.htm

Odd thing is that VOSA's Recalls Database still has no record of the 2006 announcement????

(It does have records of previous steering recalls, but not 2006)

for those in the UK who have had the 2006 'fix' what is the recall number??

"This database records all UK recalls from manufacturers. If a manufacturer has reason to recall a vehicle it will contact the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) who then assign it a unique recall number, which is also transmitted to the DVLA should the manufacturer need the vehicle keeper information."

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices...ineservices.htm

Working in the motor trade we get alot of info about vosa and to be honest alot of reviews from motor trader mag is very poor. They say how for a government body they are slow to react and how a big shake up of the recall database is much needed.

it will be all fine except when a crash occurs ummm ummm

typical sales first no and at best poor aftercare

i was at a stealership when toyota arrived for an inspection

BUT all the staff knew they were coming and the youg lady said who she was and why she was at the stealership ???

a bit pointless and a wast of money and a false sense of things being done correct

Reading this thread doesn't inspire any confidence. :unsure:

I actually read about a massive recall a few months ago, to do with the steering.

I'd only owned my 05 plate T3-S for a couple of weeks, so I called the dealership

to see if I was affected.

Their receptionist wasn't even aware of a recall. She eventually found a recall notice

and when she checked my vehicles VIN against the recall she said I was not on it.

I thought all Avensis' were built in the same place and I'm not sure why one 05 plate

would be recalled and not another. Suppose I'll consider myself lucky, until I get a

letter in the post ;)

Recall's can be affected by parts sourced externally, if a batch of parts were faulty it would only affect those parts limiting the cars recalled even though they are built on the same line...

Do you have it booked for part inspection or to change the part already?

Mine has been inspected two weeks ago but part takes long time to come because there are too many orders (they said).

My concern was what if they said the part was ok and then it fails few months later. But the part was damaged so they'll change it. I wasn't able to feel any problem on the steering. Now I drive it carefully because I fear it may fall apart. I have to wait until 12th of October.

Cheers

Dealer checked car out (took 2 hrs) and nothing had to be replaced. There must have been around 10 other 03 cars there that morning for the same steering check. Service guy told me that so far nothing has been found in all of the cars checked to date but a lot more have to be done. I think you have been very unlucky.

Makes you think though, a problem this serious took 2 years to come out. Thats a lot of miles under potential steering failure :eek:

My Avensis 1.8 SW had that recall last month, never had any steering related problems though, and got interior and exterior cleaning for free!

Today it went for the 45000 km revision, the lamp "holders" were burnt (luckily I decided this morning to change for a 20% brighter Toyota lamps!) , they will receive them only tomorrow for replacement under warranty.

Tomorrow I'll pick it and pay...

Best regards,

Pedro

Reading this thread doesn't inspire any confidence. :unsure:

I actually read about a massive recall a few months ago, to do with the steering.

I'd only owned my 05 plate T3-S for a couple of weeks, so I called the dealership

to see if I was affected.

Their receptionist wasn't even aware of a recall. She eventually found a recall notice

and when she checked my vehicles VIN against the recall she said I was not on it.

I thought all Avensis' were built in the same place and I'm not sure why one 05 plate

would be recalled and not another. Suppose I'll consider myself lucky, until I get a

letter in the post ;)

That like me in a way i've got an 04-54 plate thats had its vin checked and come back clear but i've heard that cars before and after mine may have an issue with the steering.