Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes On T Sport

baz t

Hi my friends

Had my sport in november and loving it to bits

BUT :help: Just starting with a problem MY BRAKES

I can't stop them squeeking

i have had the pads out and cleaned them But it has'nt stopped it .

PLEASE CAN ANYBODY HELP

BAZ :thumbsup:

Hi my friends

PLEASE CAN ANYBODY HELP

you could try a light rubbing on the brake pad face with emery paper just to take glaze of pads ,make sure you have anti-squeal shims fitted and clean any rust of disc edges and lubricate pads with copper slip on refitting :thumbsup:

Hi my friends

PLEASE CAN ANYBODY HELP

you could try a light rubbing on the brake pad face with emery paper just to take glaze of pads ,make sure you have anti-squeal shims fitted and clean any rust of disc edges and lubricate pads with copper slip on refitting :thumbsup:

thanks buddy will give it a go in the morning :yes::thumbsup:

Mine squeaked for a while being a lazy git I did nothing and its now gone... :thumbsup:

Sorry to Hi jack the thread slightly does anybody get this effect in there Corolla, if I apply the brakes then they work fine if I release the pedal then immediatly reapply the brakes the bite point is much higher and the brakes are much more powerfull....

Mine squeaked for a while being a lazy git I did nothing and its now gone... :thumbsup:

Sorry to Hi Jack the thread slightly does anybody get this effect in there Corolla, if I apply the brakes then they work fine if I release the pedal then immediatly reapply the brakes the bite point is much higher and the brakes are much more powerfull....

this is normal as you havent given the brake conponents chance to return back to there normal position therefore the brake pedal travel is less than what it would be normaly because everything has less distance to travel. :thumbsup:

Sorry to Hi Jack the thread slightly does anybody get this effect in there Corolla, if I apply the brakes then they work fine if I release the pedal then immediatly reapply the brakes the bite point is much higher and the brakes are much more powerfull....

this is normal as you havent given the brake conponents chance to return back to there normal position therefore the brake pedal travel is less than what it would be normaly because everything has less distance to travel. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: thanks every one for the advice

very much appreciated im not very good with parts and cars

so i will be booking it in for the weekend

:D thanks baz t

blacksheep, mines the same with the pedal travel it's normal :thumbsup:

blacksheep, mines the same with the pedal travel it's normal :thumbsup:

Its not so much the pedal travel I fully understand the pistons haven't returned, its the power the brakes feel much more powerfull with much less effort upon the second application that is...

could be that upon applying the brakes for the first time the pads get deglazed a little and also any dirt / water ect gets removed from the disc.... don't know, i may be wrong but i think it's a possible explanation.

:censor: It is the 2nd time in 2 weeks my car has been back to mr.T with a squeal coming from the drivers front wheel.One garage changed the front shock only to make matters worse and left it with a grinding and squealing noise,2nd time it went in they fixed the small plate behind the brake disc which sorted the grinding noise but left the squealing noise.It is still making a very loud squealing noise and i am at the point of going mad that the mechanics cant fix it! :censor: .does ANYONE have an idea what it might be?

might be a stone behind the disc shield. if the discs and pads are all new then i think this can be the only thing.

:censor: been in again still they say nothings wrong so i guess i will have to change the pads my self thanks to a thread showing how to. which leads me to ask when ordering them do i need to renew the disc's ?? and I'm i right in thinking i need to change both front wheel pads together? :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

now then everybody, ive got an 04 corolla t-sport and recently had the same problem with my breaks, took it to my local toyota garage. They said my brakes were 'scored' and that they needed 'scimming'..not exactly sure what this is but it sorted the squeaking etc etc.....

hope this helped!!

now then everybody, ive got an 04 corolla t-sport and recently had the same problem with my breaks, took it to my local toyota garage. They said my brakes were 'scored' and that they needed 'scimming'..not exactly sure what this is but it sorted the squeaking etc etc.....

hope this helped!!

hi,

scimming the discs is done buy running them true on a lathe and facing the disc using a cutting tool as the disc rotates. thus trueing the faces of the disc... you can only scim them to a minimum thickness anyway, after that they are scrap and need replacing. personally, i would always replace the discs rather than scimming them. :thumbsup:

bert

l recently changed the OE disks and pads on the from for some black diamond Combi ones.

And l have to say the next disks and pads are fantastic!!!!! :thumbsup:

But on full lock one of the disks does seem to make a strange for it metal knocking sound like the pad\disk hasnt worn fully ? And also im getting a bit of sqeaking from the same side. l followed nrgizer's guide (Which was excellent cheers for that!) exactly do you think a little more copper grease on the pads might sort out the problem?

Sry if it looks like im trying to highjack the thread with my own problems, just a little annoyed with the sqeak...

Nightrax,

a metallic scraping sound is one of two things, either the pads haven't bedded in properly yet (give it time) or there is a stone trapped in between the disc and either the shield or the caliper carrier. I suspect its probably the former. If it is the former, then there is nothing to worry about.

as for the squeak, it is caused by the pads moving when they come into contact with the disc, not much you can do about this. If you greased it properly the first time then more grease ain't going to stop it.

have a nice day

sanj

Thanks, nrgizerbunny - Trust me the pads where well greased up before they went on.

The squeaking does seem to be going so im happy !

• 2 weeks later...

I had same problem took it to toyota and they copper greased my pads. happened again and they said it was the bit behind the disc was rubbing. Still seems to squeak now and again but im upgrading my brakes soon so hopefully thatll solve it for good.

• 6 months later...

I have just had my Disc Pads replaced by myself and a friend who's worked for toyota for the last 15yrs and now has his own garage in cardiff, anyway my point is I posted on this thread last august stating I thought my brakes were not as good as they should be and I've just found out why.

My RH outside pad was stuck meaning the LH Caliper was working fine but the RH caliper only worked when I pumped the brakes, because the outside pad was stuck the inside pad was moving back to far, when I applied the brakes the pads touched the disc on the LH caliper but the inside RH pad had still not made contact with the disc, now I have new pads and we've made sure that all is working my brakes are fantastic...

Just to back up my claim the outside RH pad that was stuck is completely worn down, the inside RH is only about a 1/4 worn and the 2 LH pads about 2/3 worn, so if your brakes don't feel really powerfull then this could be the cause...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links