Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk3 Twin Turbo Options?

MarkMcQ

I just started a new job and hopefully, if all goes to plan, in a month I'll be looking to ditch my N/A and get a Twin Turbo. Can anyone give me some pointers on the options available?

From what I've read various places, there are 2 engine types, the 2ltr (The 1GE, yeah?), and the 1JZ 2.5, is this right?

I've seen a few of the 2ltr ones advertised and they seem to all be pre-facelift (Well, the ones I've seen anyways). All the 2.5's have been facelift models, which is my preference. Also, did they actually do those buggers in any colour other than black?! Not that I'd mind one in that colour, but another colour would be nice. I've seen the 2ltr in white a few times, but never the 2.5, although I remember seeing that thread on here not long ago from the fella who picked up that stunning metallic red one, can't recall which model that was though.

What are the interior options as well? I saw on one of the UK Supra sites that there was a model with Recarro's, in black, with a grey centre section. Was that standard on all the import ones, or is it a certain model? And I've read that converting the digital display from kmh to mph is pretty hard to impossible, so would it be wise to avoid those ones?

And finally, in the back of my mind is the thought to perhaps get one imported myself, rather than spend a while hoping the right one pops up for sale. Can anyone give me an idea of what the costs are for this kind of thing, and what the timescale generally is? And good import company reccomendations would be much appreciated too, in case I do decide to go that route (If it's within my budget).

Cheers for any help you guys can give me. :thumbsup:

The 2.0l car is the GA-70 and has the 1GE engine, the 1JZ powered one is the JZA-70. There are post facelift GA-70s, but no pre-facelift JZAs.

JZA-70s come in 3 trim levels, GT, GT LTD and GT 'R'. There's a load more information about them here , but the GT is the most basic model, GT LTDs have more toys (and occasionally leather interior) and the R is the 'lightweight' model with the Recaro interior. GTs and LTDs are also available as aerotop, but these tend to be autos (manuals do exist, but I spent ages looking for one on the Japanese auctions and gave up). GTs and LTDs are available in quite a few colours, but black and white seem popular. Rs have a smaller choice of colour and they all seem to be black or DSG.

Rs never have the digitial dash, I think it was an option on GTs and LTDs as some have it and some don't. I think Thor can supply a speedo converter that works properly with the JZA-70 dashboard setup and doesn't mess with your power steering or auto gearbox shift pattern (I don't think it being a digidash or not is important to this).

I'm in the process of importing an 'R' now, its on a boat on its way over here at the moment... Here's a few pics of it.

http://www.struck-out.co.uk/158401_F_Large.jpg

http://www.struck-out.co.uk/158401_I_Large.jpg

http://www.struck-out.co.uk/158401_R_Large.jpg

http://www.struck-out.co.uk/158401_19_large.jpg

http://www.struck-out.co.uk/158401_30_large.jpg

http://www.struck-out.co.uk/158401_31_large.jpg

http://www.struck-out.co.uk/158401_32_large.jpg

I'm using an import company called IBC. You can get them to place bids on cars via their website, which covers most of the major auctions in Japan. It automatically works out what shipping and agent fees will be and adds them onto your bid price so you can see what you'll be paying to get the car to the UK. Once it arrives you have to pay VAT (17.5%) and duty (10%), then a registration fee, road tax, MOT etc. You'll probably need to fit a decent Thatcham approved alarm to get insurance too.

My car is a 1991 model, auction grade 4.0 and has done 62,000 miles. It's relatively standard (induction kit, exhaust, dodgy looking wheels and adjustable suspension). The landed UK price was 382,901 Yen, which with the strength of the pound at the moment works out at £1,741.45. Add VAT and duty to give £2250. Then it'll need a speedo conversion, alarm, tax etc and maybe a bit of tidying. I hope to get it on the road in a sensible state for £3k.

Hope that's some help :)

Hope that's some help :)

It was very helpful.

Tried to register at the IBC site, but's giving an error just now. I'll try again later.

That R you're getting is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking to go for, and my budget is between 2.5k to 3, so it looks like this might be an option.

How often does the R model tend to come up on auction? Will I be looking at a wait till one appears?

And also, what's the time from winning the bid to when the car finally comes to this country?

The R model isn't especially rare at auction, in fact I'd say that most of the manual cars are Rs. Finding a decent one can take a little while though, probably 2-3 weeks (I spent a lot of time faffing about, so it took me considerably longer;) ). Low mileage cars tend to command a premium, mine is high considering its a grade 4.0. It also only has a grade C interior, which might have put some people off. I got the auction sheet translated and could see there wasn't anything seriously up with the interior and decided to go ahead and bid anyway. The side bolsters on the recaro seats are terrible for splitting though, I've seen lots of pictures of cars with horribly torn seats there. I think mine was probably a 'C' because of the worn steering wheel and centre console and the incredibly rubbish gear knob... All easy to fix :)

All in all, I have to say there are better cars comsetically than the one I've bought available. They do command quite a premium though and mine looks like it'll be tidy enough considering I'm going to end up using it almost every day.

I won the car at the auction just before JAE this year, so the end of July sometime. Its due in Liverpool docks in the middle of September, 6-8 weeks seems normal :)

BTW if you do get registered on the IBC site, the 'Auctions in Japan - iDirect' link is the one you want to use to get access to the full set of auctions. I think its some kind of public holiday in Japan for the next couple of days, so there might not be a whole lot doing until the middle of the week. Site seems to be working fine for me at the moment though (I do sometimes get some sort of timeout error message when trying to log on, but it normally sorts itself pretty fast). I can't unreservedly recommend IBC yet as I don't actually have the car ;) but they've been a pleasure to deal with so far and seem to be contactable day or night Japanese time. Their 'live' help thing seems a bit slow though, so if I wanted auction sheets translated I always just click the live translation and then immediately choose not to wait any longer and email instead, normally get it within the hour.

Sorry I haven't been about ;)

Good info Flat pack ;)

The 2.0l car is the GA-70 and has the 1GE engine,

There were actually three versions of GA-70, the 1G-FE, 1G-GE and the twin turbo version 1G-GTE. to confuse matters further there were two different versions of the 1G-GTE, the facelift ones had more power ;)

Another option is fit a mkiv 3.0 Twin turbo.. this is actually a lot easier then most people make out... and will give you twin turbo power, on a car that you know ;)

Please don't import any more 2.0s ;) the 2.5 is faster, possibly more reliable and gives better fuel economy, the 2.0 has rarity in its favour.... but thats about it... and people keep on importing more :censor:

Adi is making noises about selling his 2.5 TT limited aero ;) it is the top end of the mkiii market and priced accordingly, but if you are really after one might be worth enquiring!

Edit: the daft bint has left her account signed in on my PC again :P

Another option is fit a mkiv 3.0 Twin turbo.. this is actually a lot easier then most people make out... and will give you twin turbo power, on a car that you know ;)

This was something that was lurking in the back of my mind. Wasn't sure of the viability of it, but now that you've brought it up, it makes it an appealing option. The one thing that really made me want to do it was the power you can get out of a 2jz before you even have to touch the internals. I'm not even looking at major horsies either, maybe about 350-400 somewhere down the road.

What would be required for a total conversion? (Aside from the engine, gearbox and ecu/loom of course :P )

And who would the best company to approach about taking on the work (And prefferably sourcing the engine and stuff). Ideally someone close(ish) to Scotland or the North.

The engine itself will go straight in, use JZA-70 mounts, and thats it...

you will need a custom fabbed downpipe, and there is a bit of eletrical wiring to do... if you want it auto the mkiv gearbox will fit, I would personally run it manual with an R154 gearbox, using a 2.5 twin turbo bell housing (all off the shelf parts!)..

there is more info on my site about it.. as I had this entire conversion mapped out in my head to do on my grey car, which I have since sold... :crybaby:

Adi is making noises about selling his 2.5 TT limited aero ;) it is the top end of the mkiii market and priced accordingly, but if you are really after one might be worth enquiring!

Is it a manual, and if so, any idea what kind of price he's after?

Its an auto, and i think more than what you're prepared to pay...

Dont be put off by autos, they are generally only shunned by people who have never driven a decent one. There is SOOOOOO much more to an auto than push and go...

http://www.forum.mkiiisupra.net/showthread.php?t=13513

But is in excellent condition, comes with a spare engine (which i was going to do up but never bothered), it has 2 grands worth of turbo technics hybrids on it, and is one of the last mk3's (K reg), top spec model, with rare pearl white paint option. Its a bit of a rareity.

Oh, and its got a shiny engine bay :D

Its an auto, and i think more than what you're prepared to pay...

Dont be put off by autos, they are generally only shunned by people who have never driven a decent one. There is SOOOOOO much more to an auto than push and go...

My first Supra was an auto, but I never really enjoyed driving it. I prefer manuals over them, can't really describe what it is that makes me prefer them though.

If yours had been a manual, I think I would have making eyes at my bank manager for a wee loan.

okay not to worry :D

To be honest i like the auto, but the slow launch annoys me...

Manual conversion can be done on these for about £300.. lot of work though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links