Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4age 20v Engine Swap In Process!

siu16

Hi ppl, Having my 4age 20v silver-top installed in my 98 corolla at the moment, engines already been removed! having alot of problems but the major one is the gearbox. i bought the engine and gearbox from importers, but the mechanic i am using said the gearbox mounts are different. I want to ask anyone who's done this swap for any help on this. Does anyone know if the 4EFE gearbox will fit on a 4age 20v?

i dont know if the 4e box will fit, but i am pretty sure the 4afe will as the block is the same, so you might be able to get away with either some 4a mounts or a 4a gearbox

though if you have to get hold of a new gearbox have you thought of getting a g6 box, this should fit to the 20v lump as it fits to the 4a lump, and would be rather cool

I thought only the 4A gearbox will fit, you could use one from a 4A-FE thats what the all do overehere in the Netherlands

I got an AE82 gearbox (4AGE fitment) gearbox forsale if you want one.

Doesnt jump out of gears, no bearing noises etc £50.

You brought a 4age 20v with a 20v gearbox and they dont fit?

Or are you trying to fit a 20v engine to a 4afe gearbox?

He's talking crap about the mounts for the gearbox as they if you have a 20v gearbox and they will fit fine in an ae111 you might need to sort out gear linkages but thats all!

read his post properly. He had a 4Efe not 4Afe. (Or at least asking if a 4efe box will fit a 4A)

Surely they didnt make the 1.3 and 1.6 corolla engines bays different..... So maybe it is just a case of finding some 4afe gearbox mounts like someone said?

It would be interesting to know if a 4EFE gearbox will fit a 4A though. If so i could look for 20v 6 speed gearbox for my starlet. I dunno whether a G6R box would take the abuse of a 4EFTE

if it's a 4efe gearbox then that wont fit onto a 20v and if you do find some way to get it fitted which I doubt, it wont last long...

I take it then this was a 1.3 before you started you engine swap?

Hi ppl, thanks for all the replies! Good news, i have fitted the 4age 20v & levin gearbox on the car, the problem is still the mount for the gearbox. But after giving Kevin Clarkson a call at S&M services, he told to me to make a custom gearbox mount so it is currently in process! He also told me that only the engine loom has to be changed over not the whole loom including electrics! So that saves me a bit of time! The driveshafts fit perfectly, and the levin front disc & calipers have also been switched over! The whole engine swap process has been very emotional, as we encountered problems which we do not know how to resolve. But after you take a bit of a break & chill out, you can over come those problems.

To answer some questions, my car was originally a 1.3S with a 4EFE engine, i chose this model with the engine swap in mind as it is the most basic model, it doesn't even have a sunroof or rev meter! but that has also caused some problems as the levin has an electronic speedo, and mine has a manual one so that has to be swapped over. The drivers side engine mount doesn't fit, actually it does but there are no holes in the box section so i have to get hole drilled and inserts put in to hold!

one problem still persists which involves the airconditioning belt. My car does not have aircon so i need an auxilary belt for the engine to run, has anyone else done this or anyone know the part number for this item?

I will post some pictures soon, been very busy with the swap so havn't had the time to take any pics!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links