Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fully Synthetic Oil In 1990 Celica

93eng

Hi

Halfords are again selling their fully synthetic oil at half the normal price which puts it only a little dearer than their basic mineral oil.

Now can I use that in my 1990 Celica? I have read somewhere that synthetic oil can perish the rubber oil seals of older engines but do not know how true that is.

Also, if I use the fully synthetic oil, can I use for it longer between oil changes? Or perhaps I should just change the filter and recycle the oil once?

Thanks.

as long as the grade is correct then you should be ok. be aware though that if it has a lower grade, IE your oil should be 10/50 and you put in 0/40 then you may notice an increase in oil consumption.

you should still change the oil at the specified intervals, synthetic oil is just more stable across the temperature range and usaly gives more protection at high temps

a 1990 motor living untill 2006 ran on normal oil just goes to show , normal oils do work . so you could also ask yourself , do you really need to go fully synthetic . ????

a 1990 motor living untill 2006 ran on normal oil just goes to show , normal oils do work . so you could also ask yourself , do you really need to go fully synthetic . ????

Good point there Batman! Probably wouldn't do any harm or any good so the choice is yours'!!

Welcome BTW :thumbsup:

TBH the only cars i would use fully synth in are cars with forced induction. Mainly to protect the turbo. Those puppies get :censor: kin hot. Oddly enough i use mineral in my 620 turbo. Thats cos it`s a Rover and its going to die soon anyway. :lol: