Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard Light Question...

My MR2 finally arrived ! It's a 1990 MK II GT Turbo Tbar...

There is a light on the dash though which is on and concerning me. It is in the bottom left cluster of lights. It is the top right one. It looks like a pipe with a fat bit in the middle with some wavy lines coming off the top.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be ? I went to toyota and they said the had never seen that light before and I would need to book it in. ( Think they were just trying to get ££ out of me )

Someone else said it could be a Catalytic converter light ??

It goes off now and again, but comes back on. It has just passed MOT etc, so surely the CAT should be alright ??

Any help greatfully received !!

thanks

no reply ?

thought rhaines would have popped his head in by now...

have looked on the net but found nothing. Does anyone have a Enlgish manual ?? .. lol

Don't want to drive the thing around if it's gonna do more damage... :unsure:

hmm the cat converter does ring a bell.

decat it... will sound alot better! and it will be legal on a 1990 car too!

I'll take a pic as soon as I find my camera...

I live in Pumpherston to the person who asked... not far from you.

How much would it cost to get de-cat 'd ? Could any exhaust place do it ?

Why not hand draw the light symbol, scan it and post that on the site, someone may recognise it......

Um..... No image..... you can send it to me if you like - damiencgreen@hotmail.com

Thanks, nothing springs to mind, though looks like something is overheating. I'll take a look at my owner's manual when I go back home next (two weeks time) and see if I can find it there.

In the meantime.....

1. Check coolent level

2. Check that all radiator fans are working - listen

3. Check temp gauge sits in the middle.

4. Check intercooler fan operates by taking car for a longish burn, leaving engine running and popping the bonnet to see if the fan (righthand side of engine bay if you stood behind the car) is going.

Don't do 4. until your sure 1-3 are ok.

Perfect time to carry out these tests - lovely hot weather :)

Thanks, nothing springs to mind, though looks like something is overheating. I'll take a look at my owner's manual when I go back home next (two weeks time) and see if I can find it there.

In the meantime.....

1. Check coolent level

2. Check that all radiator fans are working - listen

3. Check temp gauge sits in the middle.

4. Check intercooler fan operates by taking car for a longish burn, leaving engine running and popping the bonnet to see if the fan (righthand side of engine bay if you stood behind the car) is going.

Don't do 4. until your sure 1-3 are ok.

Perfect time to carry out these tests - lovely hot weather :)

I'm gonna sound thick here....

but...

1) how

2) Erm...... ??

3) yip it sits in the middle

4) can't do first 3

Sorry.... the only thing I know about cars is how to make them go.. and that's it. :(

1. Coolent filler is in engine bay, left rear corner (if standing behind car) Black cap, white plastic funnel leading down into the expansion tank. Remove cap, check water level - I believe there is a marker on the funnel.

2. Run the car for a while (without any fans turned on. You should hear a fan start up after a while. this can take some time. Probably best to check after a longish journey - leave the engine running turn off any fans i.e. air con etc from inside the car is a radiator fan operating??

3. Good - car isn't overheating, but check 1. and 2. anyway.

Sorry.... the only thing I know about cars is how to make them go.. and that's it.

Stick around here for a while, you won't be able to say that anymore :)

I have the light on my my GLTD it does look like some kind of over heating. Seems to be a import only light.

Could be an idea to use a paperclip to find out what error code is being returned from the ECU, this may shed some light on the situation...

My owners manual is for the imports (US) cars, specifiacally Turbos - so hopefully it will be in there. Can't look until 16th August though.

It's your cat overheat warning light

So that's what it is :)

Good excuse to get the car de-catted if ever I heard one :)

oh well then... I'll just get the bugger de-catted then...

May as well instead of prob paying Mr Toyota £££ to do probably nowt...

Any idea how much it would cost to get the cat removed from a garage somewhere ?

If I was you , I'd get a cat replacement pipe, that way if you get any MOT problems you can slap the cat back in. I'm not sure where to get these, but take a look at the links at http://www.imoc.co.uk, I'm sure you'll find something there.....

If I was you , I'd get a cat replacement pipe, that way if you get any MOT problems you can slap the cat back in. I'm not sure where to get these, but take a look at the links at http://www.imoc.co.uk, I'm sure you'll find something there.....

Decat pipes cost between £150 - £200 I believe but I'm not sure if you can buy one to replace the cat on the existing system. It would seem that you nned to buy a Mongoose exhaust to use the decat - exhaust costs approx £400 add the decat pipe and you're looking at around £600 (I think) quite expensive for what they are IMHO.

You could have a knackered CAT sensor (installed inside the Cat) not sure if these can be replaced. Other than that the cat could be blocked/knackered which could be why it is overheating.

I'm not too knowledegable about exhausts, Ryan might know more about this, so over to you Ryan.....