Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kinda Urgent Guys........

slugger

ok, so we just got back from our ireland trip [fantastic scenery by the way guys] :thumbsup:

anyhoo..... the 'T-BELT' light pops up as the odo swings past 110000 miles, well...... the beast [hiace van] needs the cam belt changing.....

rad is off, all covers off....crank pulleywheels off [man thats a bugger] :help:

cam is timed with crank and fuel pump-gear ready for cam belt removal.....

anyways, before i remove the belt, is there anything else i need to do like hold/lock off gears etc?

any advice from anyone whos done a cam-belt change would be mucho appreciated

slug :thumbsup:

Not done one on the hiace but sounds like you are on top of it. If you could I would use lock dowels to stop anything moving while belt is off. Did you change the tensioner as well?

to be honest i wanted a bit feedback [do's and dont's] before i remove old belt......then, i can assess the cond of the tentioner, altho its just a stel wheel and a baering, so unless the baerings had-it i dont spose it'll need replacing?

slug ;)

Dont move anythign with the belt off, if youve got this far and you got the bottom (crank) pully off then then youve done the hard work. If you can get dowl pins or make your own it helps keep everything locked to stop it from turning. Usually a hole in the crank pully if not just make sure you have the timing marks.

I would only use the manufacturers belt. The bearing can go on the tensioner but if you do not know how old it is I would put a new one on there just to ensure it keeps the belt at the correct tension, how do you measure the spring ?

Put the belt back on keping the long side as tight as you can, sometimes you can move a tooth putting the belt on with slack on the long side and the tensioner takes up the slack on the short side. When you have got it all back on rotate the engine a few times to ensure you do not get any resistance (valve timing resistance if it has moved from timing, as opposed to compression resistance) and that over three or four turns all the timing marks align as they should.

Hope thats what you were looking for mate :thumbsup:

all done and dusted :thumbsup:

took the time to clean-up/paint the rusty pulley-wheels and replaced all belts [pow-steer/ and 2x alt as well as cam]

been for a quick run and all is cushty..... infact ive gained a tiny bit of power simply coz the old belt was a tiny bit too slack and was affecting timing by a smidge [or at least it feels like ive gained a bit] :wacko:

anyhoo, i left my buddy in charge of getting the belts and coolant [coz he had the day off work] and he got me all "gates" belts...... never heard of em before, but he assures me there about as good as you can get ?

big thanx to all that helped

slug :thumbsup: