Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Racing On The Road.....

tomaddo

It depends on what exactly you mean

If you mean around towns, then I think it's Immature, dangerous and downright stupid...

If it's in heavy traffic.. then your an idiot..

I saw a SLK 55AMG racing a 911 down a packed street in Paris one night! I couldn't believe the stuff those idiots were doing just to prove "mines bigger than yours!"

The occasional 'blast' away from the lights, on a quiet dual carrigeway, as long as you don't break the speed limit, or do anything that could endanger anyone else, then fair enough..

IMHO you wanna race, take it to the track.. it's cheap, and a hell of a lot safer.

The opinions expressed in this post are the opinions of an individual and not Toyota Owners Club.

Depends what you mean by "racing" if you mean the odd bit of porsche baiting then it's ok. lol. Otherwise- save it for the track, it's other people lives/property you're messin with, not just your own.

If it's in heavy traffic.. then your an idiot..

Agreed, if anyone has ever been to the glorious land that is Croydon then they will know it is full of dodgy Novas who think that overtaking on a blind corner outside a school at 315 is a good idea.

I have always thought that aslong as i am not endangering anyone its ok to have a quick blast. To be honest im not exactly up for losing my license like 2 of mates (one for 94 in a 40 zone and the other 124 on the m11). Having said that the one who got caught doing 124 still hasnt learned. He has now got a mk4 supra tt (you might have seen it at JAE he had a carbon fibre bonnet) and he got 178 out of it on the M25.

Save it for Santa Pod i say. And when i finally get my new turbo ill have to teach those pesky supras a lesson :D .

I'm all for having fun in your car.. but there is a time and place, and takes a little common sense too..

Again, all my own opinions..

Yeh agreed. When he told me about it its ridiculous. It was 3 in the morning but when your doing 3 miles a minute all it takes is a dozy lorry driver to pull out and your dead. No ifs, no buts and your taking others with you.

Sorry mate, no offense, but 170mph on the M25... IMO your mate should be locked up.

interesting one really. if it's deemed legal (so presumably safe) in germany, why is it not so here on a quiet motorway in the middle of the night? Admittedly, 170mph is pretty excessive, and daft, but i know a lot of people would argue that the 70 limit should disappear from 12pm to 6am, or whatever. i know german cars are limited to 155, but even so, i wouldn't like to go any quicker than that on a UK road - imagine hitting a pothole at that speed! i still can't make my mind up on it.

as for racing, if you're not daft (eg, doing it in rush hour in a built up area etc) i dont have a problem. it's always gone on, and no matter what anyone says or does it always will. and anyway, it's not speed that kills, it's lack of ability - which is exactly why the driving test should be a lot harder, and should teach you relavent information. you could argue all day, really! :D

have been known to have the odd street battle but i do not get involved if there is a lot of traffic or in built up areas only open dual carrigeways and if things look like they're getting out of control the ill back off to its a mixed answer. but i do enjoy racing a the pod cos you know the guy next to you is going to go for it and your not going to look like an idiot for blasting off while the other guy cruises away in a laid back way

The best way to have fun is to buy a set of used tyres and get the car into a track!

You will able to know your car better and who to react when it is sliding/oversteering/understeering.

Also if you do that than you wont like to race on the streets.

If you feel alone tell a friend with his car to do the same.

I have done illegal races at 3am with friends it is very dangerous.(Anyway I prooved that Yaris is faster than Punto 1.2 Sporting) so what did I find out? I wish that my country had many tracks and could do all this things in there.

When you are setting up a race better do it in a track.The police may be at the other corner and pointing you with the laser-radar.

Why old air-ports dont give their area for dragster not championship etc but for weekend-events which people could go and race their car just for fun,of course all the safety reasons.

Never drive fast in a civil-area you could understand that buy transporting Miles/h to Km/h and then to m/s then you can realise who many meters your car does in a second!

Sorry for my poor English

I have a pretty straight forward view.

there is never a time or a place for racing on the public highway.

ever

you want to race - take it to a track.

how many innocent motorists and pedestrians have been killed by immature fools driving like idots?

Just wondering what everyones opinion about it is?

Tom

Have attended a 'race accident' when I was in the forces. Not a pretty sight, what was left of them - baaaaad idea, take it on the track fella!

funny how many people said something along the lines of 'its ok if you on your own late at night.....blah blah' but how can you RACE on your own ? dont you need a competitor to race, otherwise its just speeding.

I would never 'race' or intentionally speed with a passenger in the car.

but thats just me.

I agree about the 70mph limit thing, its an old law that needs looking at, also the stopping distances need looking at in the highway code too.......

I agree about the 70mph limit thing, its an old law that needs looking at, also the stopping distances need looking at in the highway code too.......

before this is looked at though

better skill training for the roads needs implementing

having lived and worked in Germany now for 14 years, the standrd of road dicipline on the autobahns puts the UK drivers to shame

ourt motorways are better by 100%

our inner city driving skills are 100% better, but put a UK driver on a motorway......crap

sort the way we drive on a motorway before raising the limits.

saying all this though..................

maybe its the higher speeds that have forced the better road skills in germany

you decide :thumbsup:

I have a pretty straight forward view.

there is never a time or a place for racing on the public highway.

ever............

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

i agree 100% with that,even the speeding thing at 3am or when ever is a fools game. :cacker:

i don't care how cool anybody thinks their car is at the end of the day its only a piece of tin.

tin can be fixed if it gets destroyed,lives can not :angry:

Just wondering what everyones opinion about it is?

Tom

Have attended a 'race accident' when I was in the forces. Not a pretty sight, what was left of them - baaaaad idea, take it on the track fella!

Don't know how true it is but i been told that Germany is pushing through legislation to make all their 'bahns 80mph. DSon't know if anyone can shed any light on this!

The issue is not the speed limit - the issue is the quality of cars / drivers.

I would rather see people stopped / ticketed / banned for

- doing 65 in a clapped out Fiesta, 4 foot behind an articulated lorry (a very common sight) than for doing 90 in a decent car.

- bad lane discipline

- tailgating

- high beams / fogs blinding other drivers

it should be harder to get on the road (with lots of compulsory motorway miles), and easier to be taken off the road for bad driving, not necessarily fast.

don't think we should raise the speed limit either - until the people who are incapable of driving safely at 70 mph are removed from the equation, then the limit needs to stay

Don't know how true it is but i been told that Germany is pushing through legislation to make all their 'bahns 80mph. DSon't know if anyone can shed any light on this!

its been tried by the good ol GREEN PARTY

however the german automotive industry is fairly powerfull here.........it wont happen

oh....another point not all of the autobahns are de-restricted, the speed limit posted on the Autobahns is 120 kmh

the allowed limit is 130kmh

the tollerated limit.....well if its got a posted sign then you stick to that.

but i have been on the autobahn in posted areas where people are driving at 160 kmh, aswell as the police

the speed cameras in germany that are placed at the side of the road are operated by the "landkreis"(local gov't)

the police are happy for you to be "over" the limit on the autobahn, aslong as all traffic is flowing at similer speeds

the un-restricted parts...well basically a free for all....but still suprisingly safe :thumbsup:

on the issue of speed limits i'd think most people would agree that it's the bikers who are possibly the biggest offenders :cacker:

saw two guys raceing each other yesterday on a main road the two lads were doing at least 140mph,i was in my buddys del sol s.i.r,he was doing 60 the lads passed us like we were parked,and within 2-3 seconds they were out of sight :wacko:

I think the UK driving test is dead EASY.

Give certain people a pass and they believe they qualify to race Shumacher.

What the test doesn't teach is how to drive at speed. And I don't mean dual carriageways. They should teach motorway skills including, overtaking, sudden braking & driving above the speed limits to prepare people for the REAL world.

Do they really expect us all to adhere to the 70mph signs.

Why don't they make a skid-pan test compulsary aswell???

So we may have cars that can do 200mph but only a few people can ever say they could be confident at those speeds. But confidence cannot get you out of a sudden dilema.

SO NO, I do not like to see racing on streets. Get it supervised on properly organised tracks where safety is paramount.

It can never be stopped but it can be helped.

To anyone hitting those mad speeds - one blip and you are DEAD.

Matt,

Sounds good to me, when are you moving into politics....

Matt McNally, FSB Party ;)

vote for me!

I don't race very often but I'm not going to lie to u all just to "fit in" So, u all have these wicked cars, u spend lots of cash insuring them, lowering them, chipping them, upping the boost etc.. and all for 1 or 2 days a year when u can use the track!! Even on the track its FAR from a race as we have disscussed before as u can't over take on the corners or drive close to cars blah blah.. :meet: blah, Ok, I now all of u don't race or speed but comon! So if ur out driving and a u see a scooby or a Prelude up ur ***** u don't speed up just a tiny bit :yes: I NEVER RACE IN BUSY TRAFFIC OR BUILT UP AREA'S!!! :o But on a fast road when its very quiet I do, and I think more of us do than are really saying :thumbsup:

I don't race very often but I'm not going to lie to u all just to "fit in" So, u all have these wicked cars, u spend lots of cash insuring them, lowering them, chipping them, upping the boost etc.. and all for 1 or 2 days a year when u can use the track!! Even on the track its FAR from a race as we have disscussed before as u can't over take on the corners or drive close to cars blah blah.. :meet: blah, Ok, I now all of u don't race or speed but comon! So if ur out driving and a u see a scooby or a Prelude up ur ***** u don't speed up just a tiny bit :yes: I NEVER RACE IN BUSY TRAFFIC OR BUILT UP AREA'S!!! :o But on a fast road when its very quiet I do, and I think more of us do than are really saying :thumbsup:

totally agree :thumbsup: