Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2006 Rav 4

anchorman

Hello All

I have just bought a New RAV 4 XT4 2.2 Diesel.

There are lots of good points but I wondered if anyone has picked up on my critisisms.

It pulls like a train but it has a real growl with it. It reminds me of the first direct injection Transit vans. I test drove a new Avensis with the 180 engine and it was so quiet it sounded more like a petrol. Is the RAV T180 the same? Also the gearbox on the car was very smooth and slick but the RAV is quite crude. It is particularly rough between first and second. You have to make sure the clutch is all the way to the floor before attempting to move out of first to second or it will feel like you are trying to push it out with the clutch engaged with a resultant kick and bind up of the gear lever (I know it should be pressed to the floor but I mean this is super sensitive). The clutch is anyway quite fierce. Does everyone agree with these comments or does it need to go back?

Other niggles are;

The speedo is calibrated in multiples of 20 so there is no 30 or 70 which irritates my wife quite a lot and I must admit you have to keep an eye on 30 or it might end up with a speeding ticket.

The centre brake light lights up the rear wheel in the dark which can be a distraction and the mirror controls do not light up in the dark. I am not sure if I like the optitron dash in white. On the Avensis it is orange - the same as the rest of the panel.

Seems to be doing a good 40mpg according to the computer but I will confirm this after the next fill up.

I will be changing the rear door check strap for one from the T180 which allows the door to open fully. I will worry about making sure the door doesn't get knocked of because the lights are obstructed!

Despite these observations, I am completely satisfied and if it turns out to be as good as any of my previous Toyotas I will be more than happy.

Your comments please.............

I have a '05 Rav and took it back to be checked because of the appuling first to second gear change. Garage said it was fine and after a tiny amount of moaning they replaced the gear linkages. The gear change was miles better but only for a short time then back again to being rough.

Mine has a thirty mark on the speedo but having driven cars with a digital readout there is no comparison. It is easy to float past the thirty mark and be caught out but with a digital display beaming out at you tend to be more aware of your critical speed.

I wanted to buy a diesel for its residual re-sale value but the noise inside reminded me, also, of a van and couldn't live with it. Why can't they make the Rav as quite as a car. Many on this forum have upgraded the sound-proofing of their own so it can be done!

It is also a shame they can't illuminate all the switches and include such 'luxuries' as having the interior light come on when you switch off the ignition and auto window closure.

All in all the Rav is a good car but nothing more. Toyota are now asking a lot of money for the new Rav but when you look around for a little bit more you can get a used BMW X3/ Merc ML or even a Landcuiser. All of which the Rav can't compete with on any front.

I have just recieved a letter from my local dealer with a fantastic offer for my car in exchange for a new one (apparently they are desperate for low mileage cars for their forecourt and are taken shipment of a load of new Rav's). But even this great offer isn't tempting me to get another one.

I have a '05 Rav and took it back to be checked because of the appuling first to second gear change. Garage said it was fine and after a tiny amount of moaning they replaced the gear linkages. The gear change was miles better but only for a short time then back again to being rough.

Mine has a thirty mark on the speedo but having driven cars with a digital readout there is no comparison. It is easy to float past the thirty mark and be caught out but with a digital display beaming out at you tend to be more aware of your critical speed.

I wanted to buy a diesel for its residual re-sale value but the noise inside reminded me, also, of a van and couldn't live with it. Why can't they make the Rav as quite as a car. Many on this forum have upgraded the sound-proofing of their own so it can be done!

It is also a shame they can't illuminate all the switches and include such 'luxuries' as having the interior light come on when you switch off the ignition and auto window closure.

All in all the Rav is a good car but nothing more. Toyota are now asking a lot of money for the new Rav but when you look around for a little bit more you can get a used BMW X3/ Merc ML or even a Landcuiser. All of which the Rav can't compete with on any front.

I have just recieved a letter from my local dealer with a fantastic offer for my car in exchange for a new one (apparently they are desperate for low mileage cars for their forecourt and are taken shipment of a load of new Rav's). But even this great offer isn't tempting me to get another one.

Hi

Thanks

If I understand you properly, you have the last of the old model and it is a petrol with a five speed box and not a diesel with the six.

I drove that model with the diesel before I bought the new one and let me just say that the 2.0 diesel is significantly quiter than mine so if you thought that was noisy you wouldn't believe this!

I have to say that there is no way I would buy a BMW or a Merc but I might have bought another Japanese 4X4.

It is an anologue display but it is numbered as described. You are right, you really have to keep your wits about you. I also think that a car of this value EVERYTHING should be illuminated and several items are not. It is a shame because it has the makings of a wonderful car but is let down by a few refinements. I feel comforeted by the Badge but will rid it reliability it becomes an issue.

Thanks again for your comments.