Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Type Of Petrol And Oil ?

I have a MKII Turbo and was curious as to what type of petrol I should be using in it ??

I know there are differences between Jap/UK petrol etc.

I have been using Optimax, but it is a tad more expensive than unleaded.

Should I be using unleaded/super unleaded/optimax ??

Curious as to what others use.

Also what oil should I use.... I went into a shop and all the oils had different numbers on them.

thanks !!

PS: Just got the car so expect heaps more questions...... when I first got it I went to indicate and the ruddy wipers came on... lol. Stupid Jap car.... ;)

Well.. since you've got a MR2 Turbo, it'll probably need 100RON... and the closest you can get fuel wise is Optimax.. it may be expensive, but its what your car needs..

As for oil, minimum semi-synth, if your going to do ANY mods, then use fully synth...

To reach 100RON you will need a tank of optimax and a bottle of octane.

As you know mine is mapped at 100RON and regular unleaded is fine.. if you want to stretch her legs then go for Optimax.. you do get better milage on it and it is supposed to clean your engine.

PS: Just got the car so expect heaps more questions...... when I first got it I went to indicate and the ruddy wipers came on... lol. Stupid Jap car.... ;)

What are you saying?!?!?

The indicator stalk is on the propper side.. its designed so you can change gear and signal at the same time... non of that french rubbish you owned before. Oooooooooooh :rolleyes:

Petrol as above. Oil - I'm using GTX Magnatec 10W 40 - does the job well, and costs £21 for 4.5L

To reach 100RON you will need a tank of optimax and a bottle of octane.

As you know mine is mapped at 100RON and regular unleaded is fine.. if you want to stretch her legs then go for Optimax.. you do get better milage on it and it is supposed to clean your engine.

I actually did notice a bit of difference on mileage between optimax and unleaded....

or maybe it was just how I was driving the bugger ?? .. lol

BTW You need to reset the Engine's ECU if your car has been previously running on 95RON petrol - the system defaults to a safe mode and you won't hit full boost. Resetting the ECU is simple - pop the engine bay, remove the ECU fuse for a couple of mins, replace the fuse. Car will feel a little strange at first as the ECU relearns how to manage the engine, but after a number of miles, it will sort itself out and you will reap the benefits of 98ROn :)

So, if someones been using 95 unleaded the ecu will cause the car to boost in safety mode?

Does it mean that it will stay in that mode until you put some super unleaded / optimax in?

Do you have to reset the ECU yoursely or will it do it automatically ?

pls advise.

Will

If you wan't to maintain maximum boost, you need to continually use Optimax, otherwise, yes nine times out of ten the car will restrict boost for safety reasons (if 95Ron fuel is used).

You do have to reset the ECU yourself, using the instructions I gave in the last post. You also need to run a tank of Optimax through the engine before you reset the ECU - to ensure no 95RON fuel is mixing with the Optimax stuff.

I know that all of this is a bit of a pain (esp. if you're desperate for Petrol and there is no optimax available) but it will make the car run better and do more to the gallon - which is always good. This should offset the slightly higher pice you pay for Optimax.

I'm still waiting for that banana boat :rolleyes:

When it arrives, be sure that I will no doubt be asking the same questions :P

Thanks though :thumbsup:

If you want to run as close to 100RON as possible, probably best to go for a tank of super or optimax, and a bottle of millers octane booster - best place to get this at a good price is Scoobysport in Nottingham (they do mail order and have a website).

You should ***NOT*** run any high boost car on nomral pump unleaded - especially an imported one due to the fact you will kill your engine. Oh - and go to a decent petrol station as well - BP or Shell - never fill up your own car on the supermarket *******.

PS... not a lot of people know that - I saw a guy filling up a P1 in tescos with normal unleadeed... there is no helping some people!

BTW You need to reset the Engine's ECU if your car has been previously running on 95RON petrol - the system defaults to a safe mode and you won't hit full boost. Resetting the ECU is simple - pop the engine bay, remove the ECU fuse for a couple of mins, replace the fuse. Car will feel a little strange at first as the ECU relearns how to manage the engine, but after a number of miles, it will sort itself out and you will reap the benefits of 98ROn :)

Hmm, ok heres my scenario, I got the car a while back, it had 95 ron (I *THINK*) in the tank (was 3 quarters full when I got it, I didnt put it in!) on the way back I put some super in (97RON) and a couple of weeks ago I put a full tank of optimax in, then early last week did the same again with the optimax.

Which brings me to now, I have about a quarter left in the tank, next time I fill up with optimax should I reset the ECU then? I thought cars where supposed to automatically detect when the fuel was better, and gradually increase boost levels? (albeit it does take ages)

Oh and is resetting the ECU as easy as you make it out to be :) ?

just disconnect the Battery for a couple of minutes is the easy way, only prob is you lose your radio presets and have to reset the time....

You can alternatively pull the ecu fuses....

Optimax all the way with Millers Octane Plus and Magantex 10w30

only prob is you lose your radio presets and have to reset the time....

Bless, life is so hard :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links