Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tomtom Permanent Docking Kit

Nick_Simm

Has anyone installed the tomtom permanent docking kit in their Toyota? It charges the tomtom automatically, turns it on with the ignition, sends the instructions through the car Speakers etc. I was thinking of doing a complicated dash install in my Yaris, but the kit says it's for professional installation only, which means I'll need more wires than they provide to do it properly.

Anyone done it or had it done and can remember what is needed? I heard there was an install guide on celica-club, but I can't seem to find it.

I've done a permanant install of the stuff that came with my 700. Permanantly powered, but doesn't come through the car Speakers... That was the guide on Celice Club.

I've had a look on CC, and it looks like the sticky has gone. I'll take a photo of what I did when I get home and post up here later... Its pretty easy to do, but does it fulfill all of the requirements?

Also, I can't imagine doing the proper TomTom kit is going to be that hard. May be worth just buying one, and giving it a go...?

Thanks for your reply. I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to install, my worry is that the kit comes with iso connectors as far as I can tell and I reckon I'd need some kind of adaptor. I bought a go 300 off eBay, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I'll wait till then before I get the permanent installation kit.

Ahhh, if its ISO's its easy! Must just sit in line between the stereo and your car's cabling! You may need an adaptor as well, but your local Halfords'll do you one of them for more money than its worth! 5 mins work chap!

Well, let me know (pm as preference) if you decide not to get the permanant kit and do want permanant power, and I'll rip my dash apart to take photos of the frankly rather suspect cabling! :lol:

If it helps you decide which way to go, they way I have it cost me £2 and a few bits I had lying around anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the kit yesterday, but my tomtom still hasn't arrived. The connectors are iso and I've ordered an Autoleads System-on-Top lead to piggyback the sound and power from the stereo. Looks like an easy install, but I'll make it difficult by trying to sink the tomtom into the dash where the stereo controller is. Has the potential to be a total disaster. Look out for a workshop submission soon.

Well I tried to fit yesterday, but the thing makes a bit of a buzzing sound through the Speakers and doesn't turn on with the ignition. When you do try to turn it on, there's a loud repetitive clicking sound until you disconnect the tomtom from its dock. Any ideas anyone?

Sounds like you may have some power interferance there with the buzzing... Although it may be that thats as good as it gets. Having never come across the permanant docking kit I'm afraid I can't really comment.

As for the Ignition on, double check the +ve, -ve and always-on +ve through from the car, through the TomTom plug, and in to your Stereo ISO. Make sure they all match up correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you may have some power interferance there with the buzzing... Although it may be that thats as good as it gets. Having never come across the permanant docking kit I'm afraid I can't really comment.

As for the Ignition on, double check the +ve, -ve and always-on +ve through from the car, through the TomTom plug, and in to your Stereo ISO. Make sure they all match up correctly.

There is a design fault with some of the tomtom docking kits, I found pressing the connector firmly in the interface box and using some insulating tape to secure helped. As for the power there are two push fit cables on the tomtom kit yellow and orange if i remember correctly one is always on and the other comes on with the ignition. It looks like your in the always on one.

Cheers for your help. I tried the power cable on both settings, but that just changes whether I get the clicking with ignition on or not. I tried emailing tom tom, but they've just ignored me so far. I think I'll have another go installing the thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. I tried installing it again today, but the thing still doesn't seem to work. I'm going to flood tomtom support with emails until they sort it.

On the plus side I'm really deft at taking my dash apart now.