Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2ltr Mr2

ColinC

I'm currently looking at an MR2 in the UK, it's a 1990 N/A GTI spec. The owner said it has a 2.2ltr, and that a new engine was dropped in at some point. It's a Jap import. I have a feeling that the owner doesn't know too much about cars and just liked having an MR2 (it's been well looked after and service history).

Anyone know what engine this could be, or maybe he's wrong and it's the standard 2ltr?

I think the yanks got a 5SFE engined 2.2l version instead of the 3SGE NA we got over here?

No idea if the 2.2 was sold in Japan too, but I guess it means the 5SFE would fit (was it fitted to any UK cars that it could have been swapped out of?).

yanks had the 2.2 5SFE as Flatpack said... only other thing is what Stu said... may have been stroked... but you WOULD know you have done that

yep easy way to have a 2.2turbo as well. no expensive stroker kits req.

it is possible it has had the 2.2 5S-FE droped in as its quite an easy swap IIRC

yep easy way to have a 2.2turbo as well. no expensive stroker kits req.

it is possible it has had the 2.2 5S-FE droped in as its quite an easy swap IIRC

The 5SFE is a joke... 100bhp!! why anyone would put that in an MR2 I don't know.

I'd hope it's around the standard for an NA 90 MR2, i.e. 153bhp I think with the 3SGE...

And if it's a stroker kit then what kinda bhp? thanks for the info lads.

yeah but you use the 5S-FE block, crank and rods, fit some Forged pistons and bung on a REV 3 3S-GTE head manifolds and turbo!

The 5SFE is a joke... 100bhp!! why anyone would put that in an MR2 I don't know.

Check out MikeJC's car on IMOC. It's been developed by Patrick at Rogue. It's a 5SFE and it produces over 500bhp at the rear wheels.

:P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links