Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E12 Dash Problem

DaveSR

Just want to ask if this is a problem that all new (E12) Corolla's suffer?

I had my dash replaced two weeks ago and again it has appeared - this time even worse :( !

Is there a solution/fix?

Does anybody own a Corolla without this problem?

I am starting to doubt buying my Corolla as I have had so many problems with it already (3 months).

The dash is an eye sore though, everybody that get's into my car says something about it.

I paid 10k for a car and I expect it to be a certain way. I have seen Punto's with a better finish :rolleyes: !

Someone has also meantioned rejecting the car :(

Maybe my car's just a one off - Im just getting a little fed-up :crybaby:

this is a common fault, basically you cant take out the radio without the gap appearing when you put it back in, fortunately there are two fixes that your local toyota can do for you under warranty, one involves bending the bottom mounts and cutting a little bit of the dash away, which worked wonders on the girl at works car, and the other involves a modified dash, presumably thats what you had done, best talk to toyota

best talk to toyota

Sorry should have made myself clear - I took it to Mr T to get the work done under warranty two weeks ago. They shaved the back but it still wasn't right so they ordered in a new dash and fitted it, but this one has gone exaclty the same.

It's going in tomorrow to have the clutch fixed again (was the master cylinder, now a new pin somewhere needs to be fitted).

I'll tell them how I feel tomorrow

in that case maybe try, removing the radio

remove the ashtray, pull of the gear surround then there may be a couple of screws at the bottom of the centre console (but i'm not sure), remove these if they are there and then pull of the centre console, you should now see 4 bolts under the radio unit, take these out (carefully they have a habit of falling), and remove the radio, (i apoligise if you already know how to remove the radio, but i thought i'd add it incase you didnt)

at this point try pushing it back in, it'll probably just have a huge gap still, but sometimes it can sit right, if not, bend back the metal tabs where the bolts go, but only very slightly, this is to raise the top when you fit it back in, then get a mate to apply a little pressure to the dash above the radio, as you push the radio in, it may take a few shots, or it may not even work, but it worked for me a couple of times

hope it helps

Does anybody own a Corolla without this problem?

mine is fine :thumbsup:

mine too is fine.

also i have taken my radio out no end of times and i don't get the gap. here is a guide to doing it yourself

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/Misc?page=92

what spanner monkey said is partly true but i would suggest you loosen the four screws (they actually have hex heads) then nudge the radio up and then retighten.

*You will need a 1/4" socket set with an extension to do this as the bolts at the back are a ballache to do*.

my 04 t sport had same problem

I had it heated and bent into shape then a new dash fitted and it still did it. Wife took it back as I was at work and they had the cheak to tell her how much it would cost them even though it was under warranty.

I rang them and told them its not my concern about cost as its under warranty I also pointed out that its not their concern either as they would claim it all back from Ts. so they fitted another dash and it did same but not as bad.

Anyway I now have a 2 month old SR and it has same fault although only very slight. It is going back when I get chance to get it sorted

Unfortunately it is a very common issue with the E12s and im not sure what the solution is.

Everything they did on my tsport didnt work.

Cheers for the reply guys :thumbsup: !

Just to let you know that I have/can take the dash off/apart as I fitted the OEM bluetooth kit myself ;)

Toyota are going to try another mod involving another new dash - so it's going in again next week.

I'll let them try and fix it ;) as why should I ?!?!

I have also called Toyota complaints and I am waiting for them to call me back ...... so we will wait and see <_<

Also I assume that as a new dash has been fitted this will come with a years guarantee? So if it goes again within the year of having it fitted I can get it done/fixed again? When my warranty for the car runs out?

It took 3 attempts for my local Mr.T to fix this problem on my 03 T3 recently.

They tried trimming the inside of the dash - failed.

They then replaced the top of the dash - failed.

They have now replaced the facia surrounding the radio (with the vents in it) and this appears to have worked (though there is still about a 1mm gap at the top right hand corner - I can live with that :thumbsup:

The dealership I used was not the one I bought the car from and as my warranty is due to expire in October, I cannot fault them for trying to fix it.

Insist they replace the facia as well and hopefully you will be sorted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links