Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I Rip Of Insulation Under Bonnet

andyGT4

HI THERE I WAS WONDERING IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT STILL AS THE INSULATION FIXED TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE BONNET OR CAN IT BE REMOVED WAT CAN IT POSSIBLY DO ITS NOT A HOUSE IS IT

HI THERE I WAS WONDERING IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT STILL AS THE INSULATION FIXED TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE BONNET OR CAN IT BE REMOVED WAT CAN IT POSSIBLY DO ITS NOT A HOUSE IS IT

Most people take it off including the vent cover as it allows better removal of hot air produced by the turbo, just make sure you keep the funnel bit that connects to the cam vent thingy...

yeah i have removed mine too. Makes turbo and DV sound much louder :D and you get a cool heat haze at the lights B)

I dont want the heat damage the paint though

it wont. there have been topics on this on gt4oc. Keeps your engine bay alot cooler as all the heat escapes straight out the vent ;) people who have removed it years ago still have perfect paint :yes:

Maybe next summer il take it off, but for winter i'll leave it

im interested in doing this myself, but i still aint sure whether it will damage my paintwork or not! :!Removed!:

im interested in doing this myself, but i still aint sure whether it will damage my paintwork or not! :!Removed!:

never did mine any harm

Mike. I took mine off when i fitted the stainless manifold. The manifold literally sits an inch below the bonnet. Granted it gets a tidgy bit warm but it`s not affected the paintwork at all. So with a standard manifold and tubby shield in place you won`t have a problem. :thumbsup:

never did mine any harm

Mike. I took mine off when i fitted the stainless manifold. The manifold literally sits an inch below the bonnet. Granted it gets a tidgy bit warm but it`s not affected the paintwork at all. So with a standard manifold and tubby shield in place you won`t have a problem. :thumbsup:

Oh well in that case...... :D :D :lol:

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Mine is ok. As i said, people on gt4oc have had it removed for years with no problems.

Just think of all that hot air your trapping in under there! :!Removed!: take it off and let the heat escape!! I recon it is actually better for your car to remove it... toyota olny put it there to stop engine sound being so loud as that is apparently what people want when they buy a new car.... not me tho :rolleyes:

Most people take it off including the vent cover as it allows better removal of hot air produced by the turbo, just make sure you keep the funnel bit that connects to the cam vent thingy...

which vent cover are you referring to?

I have all mine removed already apart from the part that is under the bonnet mesh and the cam intake thinngy..

The 2 vents either side still have the little plastic things in place as well...

And regarding the funnel Sketchy - you say keep it; fine I have the whole lot in the garage. I take it you're referring to the little square black rubber duct that is fitted to the insulation and routes the air through to the cam belt?

Keep it and do what with it exactly - are you suggesting it should be left on the car? I'm not sure how it would fit without the insulation in place?

Cheers

Tony

And regarding the funnel Sketchy - you say keep it; fine I have the whole lot in the garage. I take it you're referring to the little square black rubber duct that is fitted to the insulation and routes the air through to the cam belt?

Keep it and do what with it exactly - are you suggesting it should be left on the car? I'm not sure how it would fit without the insulation in place?

Cheers

Tony

Yes keep it on the car, it fits exactly the same as when the insulation was there just without the insulation...

Not attached to the Insulation on any of the ones i've seen.

Yes keep it on the car, it fits exactly the same as when the insulation was there just without the insulation...

The thing I'm thinking of is stapled to the insulation; not sure if that was done by Toyota or a previous owner, but it would remove quite easily. This is on a CS, not a faff. I'll get some pictures posted some time, and check out a faff one next time I get the chance, then decide whether the bit on mine needs replacing.

Only running standard bhp (less a bit I think as the car has a couple of minor problems) so I doubt the cam belt is under the stresses that caused Toyota to fit the vent to Carlos's car.

The thing I'm thinking of is stapled to the insulation; not sure if that was done by Toyota or a previous owner, but it would remove quite easily. This is on a CS, not a faff. I'll get some pictures posted some time, and check out a faff one next time I get the chance, then decide whether the bit on mine needs replacing.

Only running standard bhp (less a bit I think as the car has a couple of minor problems) so I doubt the cam belt is under the stresses that caused Toyota to fit the vent to Carlos's car.

Could well be that toyota stapled it on for the CS never look at one to be honest.

On the faff the plug thingys that hold the insulation on just go through the plastic round the vent, through the insulation then into the mounting holes on the bonnet... :thumbsup:

Could well be that toyota stapled it on for the CS never look at one to be honest.

On the faff the plug thingys that hold the insulation on just go through the plastic round the vent, through the insulation then into the mounting holes on the bonnet... :thumbsup:

Ah, that makes sense - therefore I guess the clip can be used to hold it onto the bonnet, even when the insulation's removed. Not so lucky with the 185.

Is there anyone out there with a ST185 who has fitted this thing back onto the car, or have you all just chucked it away with the insulaton?

Thanks for all the info Sketchy :thumbsup: