Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ma-70 Clear Indicators.......

wolfie308

Hi there,

I wonder if you can help with a bit of info regarding front indicators for the facelift MA-70.

I already manufacture clear lenses for a range of enthusiast cars including the Celica ST202 and GT4 ST205 and am trying to assess the viability of this for the MA-70.

Have tried to find good close up pics to establish how they are constructed - are they screwed into the backings 'old style' or are they bonded like the Celica's where you can put the unit in the oven in order to separate the lens from the backing?

It would be very useful also to have the dimensions of the lens to calculate the cost of making the master moulds.

Any info or comments appreciated

Richard

tshirt1copy.jpg

All I have currently uplaoded is one close up ish picture...

If I were you I would try and get some stock ones off a scrapped car... unfortunately I gave away all my spares so I have none left!!!

They are bonded plastic, as with the side repeaters (I can probably find you a set of them)

Many thanks for the reply,

Please excuse my ignorance, but are the units the same for all years of the Mk3? I have seen them advertised on eBay for '86-'88 in the 'crystal clear' type like those on your car, but am not sure if they also fit later years?

However, what I'm looking to do if possible is the same as I have done for the Celica ST202 and GT4 ST205. With these, I have removed the original lenses by putting the units in the oven and then replace them with an exact copy of the original.

Many people seem to prefer this OEM look which I rather think suits the classic 80's styling of the car. So the question is are the original lenses fitted to the backings with this heat softening type mastic or are they glued together like the ones on your car look to be?

If this is possible, I would have to buy new units, as any tiny scratches and blemishes on used ones would be reproduced with the materials I use.

Any clarification appreciated

Richard

The 86-88 ones are for the prefacelift cars and are different to the ones in the pic I posted. There is no shortage of them knocking about E bay, its the facelift ones that are in serious shortage! (late 88 - 92)

I don't think you will be able to remove the lenses, very much a sealed unit glued/bonded unit...

I woun't have though scratches would be a problem? surely even used ones can be polished/filler primered to make them totally smooth?

Is you 944 a turbo or N/A???

As I've read, the main difference between the pre and post facelift lights are that the post-facelift ones are apparently slightly taller. However when I got my clear ones, I happened to have a pair of old pre-facelifts kicking around, and in a side by side comparison they were identical, so I'm not sure why vendors sell them as two different ones.

Wolfie, if you're also able to do anything to make the rear Mk3 lights looks sexy, you'd be a legend, mate. :thumbsup:

Eh??? The pre facelift ones are about 2" longer then the facelift ones!!!!!

whitesoop.jpg

Prefacelit, long side lights.

lowsupra.jpg

Facelift ;)

Eh??? The pre facelift ones are about 2" longer then the facelift ones!!!!!

Thanks for clarifying K.S.....I thought there were 2 types.

By the sound of it, this might be more difficult than I thought if the lens and backing are not easily separable.

However, I am trying something for the U.S Elan owners which if successful could be applied to other projects :thumbsup:

I have on order a Federal side marker(not in stock at Lotus - of course) which I intend to cut apart and cast the rear in a different resin which should simulate the properties/ feel of P.P (Polypropolene) or A.B.S which original backings are made of. I will then cast the lenses as normal and rebond with a water clear epoxy or cynaoacrylate glue( to be tested)

The reason for doing this is to complete the full set of clears all round to make my other products even more attractive to the U.S market. If this works O.K then I can of course apply the procedure to a whole lot of other unobtainable items :D :D My interest in these is also they fit a number of '90's Ferraris and Lambos B)

So, back on topic are clear units for the face lift model available as well albeit the 'crystal clear' type for the '86-'88 model?

Thanks for your help cos it's only with owners input I can find new niche items to produce.

Cheers,

Richard

Yes, clear (crystal clear) facelift indicator sidelights are avalaible (see my car!), but they come in batches....

there has not beena fresh batch for months and right now they are a complete nighmare to get hold of!!! My car was off the road (still is lol) and my girlfriend nicked the clears for her car... not to worry I thought, I'll just get another pair when I need them..... There are no other pairs.. all the suppliers are "awaiting stock"

There is a chap on eBay that sells all sorts of clear lighting (granted, mainly crystal) called JDMhondaparts. I am sure as an "interested customer" you could ask him about prices and avaliablity. I have not seen him with facelift oens for months though.