Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Euro Spec Transmission Ratios

wagonist

I need to do some work to the gearbox in my 96 JDM Caldina (Carina E estate to you)

As I do a lot of highway/motorway driving, I'm thinking about changing boxes to something with taller ratios to improve the fuel economy.

I was impressed with the ratios in the M reg 2.0 8v Vauxhall Cavalier I had briefly while over there recently.

ie 3000rpm in 5th was 140km/h.

While the highest speed limit here in Australia is only 110km/h, with most be 100km/h, taller ratios would still give lower rpm.

The current JDM turbo diesel gearbox I've currently got does 3000rpm at approx 125km/h.

Was there anything else available with taller stuff (especially as the petrol Vauxhall got better fuel economy than the Toyota 2C-T 2.0L turbo diesel in the Caldina)

• 1 month later...

Been looking into a taller ratio 5spd for the D4-D myself, and it is not exactly easy.

Your ratio sounds the same as my own D4-D, and to my knowledge the gearbox is an e351

Ratios are:

1st 3.538

2nd 2.045

3rd 1.333

4th 0.972

5th .0731

Final drive: 3.944

As far as I have been able to figure out the gearbox for the 2C-T and the D4-D is the same.

The only possible option is the 5spd gearbox out of a Corolla 2002+ D4-D

This gearbox has the same designation, e351, but a taller final drive, 3.583

This should give you some some 200 rpm drop for the same speed, ie 2.800 at 125 km/h

There are a few unknowns, like are the driveshaft inner CV joints the same on the Corolla and Avensis, are the linkage the same... I expect the bell housing to be the same, as both engines are a 2.0 1CD-FTV.

regards

Cruz59

I need to do some work to the gearbox in my 96 JDM Caldina (Carina E estate to you)

As I do a lot of highway/motorway driving, I'm thinking about changing boxes to something with taller ratios to improve the fuel economy.

I was impressed with the ratios in the M reg 2.0 8v Vauxhall Cavalier I had briefly while over there recently.

While the highest speed limit here in Australia is only 110km/h, with most be 100km/h, taller ratios would still give lower rpm.

The current JDM turbo diesel gearbox I've currently got does 3000rpm at approx 125km/h.

Was there anything else available with taller stuff (especially as the petrol Vauxhall got better fuel economy than the Toyota 2C-T 2.0L turbo diesel in the Caldina)

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking into a taller ratio 5spd for the D4-D myself, and it is not exactly easy.

Your ratio sounds the same as my own D4-D, and to my knowledge the gearbox is an e351

Ratios are:

1st 3.538

2nd 2.045

3rd 1.333

4th 0.972

5th .0731

Final drive: 3.944

As far as I have been able to figure out the gearbox for the 2C-T and the D4-D is the same.

The only possible option is the 5spd gearbox out of a Corolla 2002+ D4-D

This gearbox has the same designation, e351, but a taller final drive, 3.583

This should give you some some 200 rpm drop for the same speed, ie 2.800 at 125 km/h

There are a few unknowns, like are the driveshaft inner CV joints the same on the Corolla and Avensis, are the linkage the same... I expect the bell housing to be the same, as both engines are a 2.0 1CD-FTV.

regards

Cruz59

The ratios might be the same, and I suspect the gearbox may bolt up, but I have a different engine, designated 2C-T, and the Japanese Caldina that followed mine, when Europe got the Avensis is a completely different car with virtually no interchangeable parts with the Avensis, and its engine designation is 3C-TE.

Out of curiosity, what kind of fuel economy do you get?

I'm getting approximately 8.2L/100km with a mix of city motorway & city traffic commuting, but my engine is the older, non-electronic injection type.

The engine information that I have so far is the following:

2C: 2L non-Turbo, Corolla and Carina E,

2C-T: 2L Turbo, Corolla, Carina E, Avensis 1 generation.

3C-T: 2.2 L Turbo, Carina E,

1CD-FTV: 2.0L Common Rail, Avensis, facelift (2000-2002) 110hp

1CD-FTV: 2.0L Common Rail, Avensis, generation 2 (2003+) 116hp

Having read a few reviews on the Avensis I've found out that the 5th gear mph did not change when introducing the 1CD-FTV engine in 2000, which leads me to suspect that that Toyo kept the old 2C-T gearbox.

It does seem to fit with the behavior of an older diesel engine, needing to run a bit of RPM.

My Avensis would like a box with some 200 rpm less at 130km/h (3000 instead of 3200...)

Problem being that I get close to 18-1900 rpm at 80-90km/h. below 18-1900 the turbo is not working.... making the engine sluggish...

A Toyota mechanic told me that the bottom end of the 1CD-FTV that I got (2001) is the same as the old Corolla diesel, -the 2C, from which the 2C-T is derived....

Apparently the Avensis gearbox designation is e351.

If the bottom ends are the same, the block and bell housing flange are most likely as well. Then it may be that the Avensis/Caldina diesel gear box is basically the old Corolla box....

Now the Corolla 2002+ also has a 1CD-FTV (116hp) with an almost identical gear box except for the final drive ratio.

This would give us the possibility of mounting a Corolla 2002+ gear box, in case the final drive splines are compaitble with Avensis driveshafts...

The Avensis 1997-2000 (pre-face lift) looks very much like the 1999 Caldina, and the older versions resemble the Carina E in Europe.

Some Caldina parts may be possible to carry over to Avensis, and some Carina E parts might be possible to mount on the older Caldina.....

For the last 15.000km I have an average of 5.8/100km

Highway 110-130km/h ~6.2-6.7/100km

Highway 140km/h ~6.7-7.8/100km

Rural roads constant ~90km/h ~5.2 (to and from work)

City driving ~8/100km/h

Regards

Cruz59