Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pluto No Longer A Planet...

Fidgits

Ahhh - but Matt, it was only officially announced today (after much deliberation from the powers-that-be)...

Of course, I posted this, and the link to the BBC story as I thought it was interesting, and will make a few headaches when it comes to teaching the solar system...

But, with 7 replies, only 1 of which was on-topic, let alone sensible, it just reminded me why I spend so little time on TOC nowadays...

But, with 7 replies, only 1 of which was on-topic, let alone sensible, it just reminded me why I spend so little time on TOC nowadays...

Don't be a grumpy old git Ian ;) :lol::lol:

Hey, i have nothing against a bit of levity and humour, and since it is general discussions, I dont even mind a thread wandering off topic, or the odd parallel discussion...

But when the first reply is utter nonesense, and the rest continue in the same vain... well, what can i say...

I have a sense of humour... but the 'get a room' comments were funnier than you posting a picture of a cartoon dog when the thread is obviously about a planet...

As i said, i dont really care, I just find it a sign of the times...

I think it's a sign of the times when scientists name something '2003 UB313'. What's wrong with a bit of imagination and the classic mythology reference? :)

An unmanned US spacecraft, New Horizons, is due to fly by Pluto and the Kuiper Belt in 2015.

This should be interesting. :thumbsup:

There is more news today. Appears the decision didn't go down too well. They're even selling 'Honk if Pluto is still a Planet' bumper stickers! :lol:

Pluto Revolt

I think it's a sign of the times when scientists name something '2003 UB313'. What's wrong with a bit of imagination and the classic mythology reference? :)

You just know whoever named that spent far too many years working in an Admin job! :lol:

That probe sounds interesting... i wonder if it is ust a big block of ice?

Apparently size does matter then... :o

I find it quite amazing though, that Pluto has been a "planet" for so long, and only now it loses it's title.

What's it to be called now then? A moon, or giant floating rock thingy? :D

Apparently size does matter then... :o

I find it quite amazing though, that Pluto has been a "planet" for so long, and only now it loses it's title.

What's it to be called now then? A moon, or giant floating rock thingy? :D

Apparantly the newer technology over the years has enabled people to find around 50 things that are similar/more planet-like than Pluto so they've redefined what a planet actually is. I reckon learning that there used to be 9 planets but now there are 8 would be a hell of a lot easier than learning the name of 50-odd planets