Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Questions

JEMARCH

Have had our '91 celica G.T.-R's engine reconditioned after being "had over"when we bought it,in so far as:The engine had been sealed[cracked block n head cooked]& the water dropped so nowt could be seen in the rad.,

Also,the car had been tracked out so as we went through a set of tyres in 3 months.When the track was corrected a noise on the d/side that could just be heard @ 80-90m.p.h.became obvious,to say the least,@30-40.

This was done after we went on hols 2 wales and the car was tested properly for the 1st time and the obvious happened.

It was summer 2004.Since then it's stood garaged a year n under a tree the rest.

Finally,we got the money together to sort it out and after being asked not to use my block,they did,consequently it's had to go back in,so we missed the return to wales we'd planned.

Since this is the case i asked the gaffer @ this place how big she could be bored out to[3sGE engine]since i/we don't know how deep the sleeves are & how cooling is affected,if at all.He reckons apart from 1 oversize it's not safe.

We hope the noise is only a wheel bearing,one guy says it's the diff bearing & a quote was £600 to re con the diff only!

So,the wheel bearing & the rear g/box mounting[which is perished]please!

We & kids love the car n couldn't afford to have wasted the £1900 we were ripped off for.It's already cost us nearly the same with tax n insurance.

All advise,opinions etc.,welcome[& needed] ta,Dan & Jem.

Have had our '91 celica G.T.-R's engine reconditioned after being "had over"when we bought it,in so far as:The engine had been sealed[cracked block n head cooked]& the water dropped so nowt could be seen in the rad.,

Also,the car had been tracked out so as we went through a set of tyres in 3 months.When the track was corrected a noise on the d/side that could just be heard @ 80-90m.p.h.became obvious,to say the least,@30-40.

This was done after we went on hols 2 wales and the car was tested properly for the 1st time and the obvious happened.

It was summer 2004.Since then it's stood garaged a year n under a tree the rest.

Finally,we got the money together to sort it out and after being asked not to use my block,they did,consequently it's had to go back in,so we missed the return to wales we'd planned.

Since this is the case i asked the gaffer @ this place how big she could be bored out to[3sGE engine]since i/we don't know how deep the sleeves are & how cooling is affected,if at all.He reckons apart from 1 oversize it's not safe.

We hope the noise is only a wheel bearing,one guy says it's the diff bearing & a quote was £600 to re con the diff only!

So,the wheel bearing & the rear g/box mounting[which is perished]please!

We & kids love the car n couldn't afford to have wasted the £1900 we were ripped off for.It's already cost us nearly the same with tax n insurance.

All advise,opinions etc.,welcome[& needed] ta,Dan & Jem.

My personal opinon would be to go to the breakers and look for a rear end write off... Check the engine for cracks and check the iol for water... Not sure what you would pay for an engine and box wherever you are but I'm sure it wouldn't be more then 150 if you take it out yourself... As for the bearing?? Does the noise go away when you turn a left or right corner??? jack the car up and see if the wheel wobbles up and down and left to right.. If it wobbles left to right it could be a track rod end... Possible seeing as the tracking was so far out... If up and down then it's probably the bearing... If you get an engine and box from the breakers you can strip both before fitting to make sure all is well...

Sorry I can't be any more help but I hope this helps a little...

Cris