Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lpg Convert?

PeterIsbister

Hi everyone.

As a new (soon-to-be owner of a RAV4) I thought, after skimming through the forum, that owning a LPG/Petrol converted dual fuel 4x4 SUV for three years, our observations may be useful.

Our 2.4 Mitsubishi Outlander did 20MPG round and about and 24mpg on a run using LPG.

It costs, where we live, 49.7p per litre.It used to be 34p when we bought the vehicle already converted as a demonstrator.

At most filling stations, the pump is always combined with the petrol/diesel so choice is retricted. If that pump is in use you have to wait, you just can't drive to another.

Some Petrol stations don't have it at all.

It takes a long time to fill up, 3-4 minutes for 40 litres with your palm pressing a button all the time.

Ladies do not like the bayonet action, trigger locking, filler nozzle or the blow back on release, some filling stations supply gloves to prevent burning when this occurs.

The guage varies wildly according to the ambient temperature and can cause problems with the fuel range left.

The road fund is slightly cheaper but the Government don't seem very keen to encourage its use anymore.

Save the planet if you must but we have found the advantages dwindling as the cost has risen to be roughly the same mile for mile.

We hope this has been useful for those considering a conversion but we have opted for a conventional petrol fueled RAV 4. We hope we enjoy the drive!!

ATB Peter and Adrienne

Yep ok all your points are valid

I had 2 lpg ford granada's, a 2.9 scorpio and a 2.0l giha x collectively I had the cars for about 10 years. I was doing close to 18 thousand miles per year and for running those cars i was more than happy to fill the tank with the querks you rightly mention. In fact it was more difficult as none of my local petrol stations had LPG. I actually used to source it from a builders merchant lol

Anyway I did like the idea of saving the planet and the lower cost of fuel was a bonus (about 50 - 60 percent lower than petrol), Most conversions are dual fuel which means seamless switching over to petrol when required, mine were.

I will not be converting the celica but if I was driving a gas guzziling car agin (im getting about 35 mpg) then I would think about it. If I was buying a car and could get a manufacturers conversion then I would go for that. From memory the cost of conversion was recovered after about 10 thousand miles on lpg, so both cars achieved a saving in the same year I converted them.

Aye were a tight bunch up here :lol:

one thing ive always wondered is can you do it to a turbo? i was told lpg had high octane. also apart from the law, whats to stop you filling up off your house main for much less, or is it not the same gas? my forktruck i use every day at work runs on gas, it has 2 of the big orange gas bottles strapped to the back

one thing ive always wondered is can you do it to a turbo? i was told lpg had high octane. also apart from the law, whats to stop you filling up off your house main for much less, or is it not the same gas? my forktruck i use every day at work runs on gas, it has 2 of the big orange gas bottles strapped to the back

House gas is not the same gas. LPG is Liquified Petroleum Gas. LPG would cook your dinner quite fast :D

Can be put on a turbo, the older conversions were a bit rough but the latest conversions come with fuel mapping and you can get injectors fitted into the inlet manifold. This reduces the potential for blow backs which do happen and you kneed blow off valves. Not sure how the turbo is protected during that scenario

Did have a mate that had his sab 9000 turbo converted, he seemed happy enough, although his was a low pressure turbo.

I am sure someone is capable of giving us the technical info but if you can get the gas into the tank the car will run. The household gas and the forklift gases are not as refined as autogas so the car may not run as nice as on autogas. I would not reccomend it for a technical engine but for something like a landrover v8 or such like that had agricultural or other off road work then I dont honestly see why not.

How you would get the gas out of the house tank and into the vehicle tank I do not know. The primary reason that no one will allow you or assist you to do this is the price and tax. It's aslo dodgey stuff to be mucking around with, you do not want a leek or spillage from high pressure lpg, highly flamable and capable of freezing your fingers till they become brittle and snap off, ouch :huh:

I've seen a couple of vids for LPG vehicles and what happens if the car catches fire - that alone means I will not purchase an lpg car regardless of savings.

If a fire of this kind happened on a motorway I'm sure the fire service would close the motorway and all nearby roads that is before they retreated to a place of safety!!!