Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Please!

Spuffington

Hi all - I used to be a member of TOC until I sold my Celica T-Sport for an S2000 six months ago. But now looking to get back into the Toyota 'fold'!!

Anyway, the missus has now put her foot down and decided we need something practical to make up for my completely impractical 'toy', so from a long list we've whittled it down to a Rav 4, 5 door. I've driven one once, the XT-R and was pretty impressed with it, but am currently in a quandry over whether to go for the new model or the mk 2. Definately diesel, but don't think (unfortunately) I can run to the 180 :(

I've seen a load of 55 plate mk2's with <15k on the clock for around £17k, which seems like a fairly good bargain. But do you think the depreciation slide has really hit yet, or would it be a safer bet to go with the newer model? Also, any thoughts as to whether the newer model is better, or just different?

In any event, I'd probably go for something pretty well specced. Looking for XT-R-type spec or better and probably the XT4 and tech pack on the mk3. Also, is it possible to get just the parking sensors on their own rather than as part of the protection pack?

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

The new model is a vast improvement on the old one although both are superb cars, as for depreciation a new one should depreciate less as the old one you'll always hear the facelift argument when you go to sell it although it really depends on how long you normally keep your cars!!

What sort of budget are you looking to spend ?

What sort of budget are you looking to spend ?

Hmmm, that's the tricky bit. Originally I set out to spend £10k, but I don't like the early mk2's in that bracket (no offence to anyone), but I prefer the full paint combo rather than the two-tone, plus they're a bit old. So I'm now thinking about diving in and dropping around £16-17k, but looked at the new model on the basis of PCP or some kind of lease arrangement, dropping £3-4k down as a deposit and doing the rest on a monthly PCP........hmmmm, decisions. :rolleyes:

As for how long I'm intending to keep it. I'll most likely be looking at around 3 years to be honest.

Hi all - I used to be a member of TOC until I sold my Celica T-Sport for an S2000 six months ago. But now looking to get back into the Toyota 'fold'!!

Anyway, the missus has now put her foot down and decided we need something practical to make up for my completely impractical 'toy', so from a long list we've whittled it down to a Rav 4, 5 door. I've driven one once, the XT-R and was pretty impressed with it, but am currently in a quandry over whether to go for the new model or the mk 2. Definately diesel, but don't think (unfortunately) I can run to the 180 :(

I've seen a load of 55 plate mk2's with <15k on the clock for around £17k, which seems like a fairly good bargain. But do you think the depreciation slide has really hit yet, or would it be a safer bet to go with the newer model? Also, any thoughts as to whether the newer model is better, or just different?

In any event, I'd probably go for something pretty well specced. Looking for XT-R-type spec or better and probably the XT4 and tech pack on the mk3. Also, is it possible to get just the parking sensors on their own rather than as part of the protection pack?

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

First off welcome back to the TOC :) .

The MK2 (Gen2 ) is a great choice in motor, but there is a question mark over the diesel models having flywheel problems, would you not concider the petrol version in a XT-4 , XT-5 OR XT-R ?.

See this thread on the flywheel issue....

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...l+Mass+Flywheel

Thanks for that Bob - most helpful :thumbsup:

Is it a problem that seems only to have afflicted the early models or something which carries across all up the most recent models?

PCP depending your mileage is low is a superb option, under rated and often missold. CHC Don;t touch unless your not paying, accountants love this option as they get paid on what they save you but you end up with nothing after three years except the thought of where did all your money go, HP is another option for that amount, most dealers can sort out a £250 deposit and your laughing :D

Thanks for that Bob - most helpful :thumbsup:

Is it a problem that seems only to have afflicted the early models or something which carries across all up the most recent models?

I don't know if its all years of the MK2 diesel, if your heart is set on a diesel buy from a main dealer then extend the warrenty if possible :) .