Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hill Assist

themanhimself

how good is the hill assist control ? if you lift your foot off the brake pedal on a hill how long do you get before vechicle starts to roll back or will it sit there until you move. Any thoughts thank you

If it's anything like the Jaguar Cars version, the handbrake simply releases when you touch the accelerator.

thank you sjrainsford

my last 4/5 cars have all been automatic and was wondering how the t180 would do on hill starts.

You press the brake pedal hard until you hear one beep. The system holds the vehicle for 2 seconds at which time you hear two beeps and the brake is released.

The system disengages as soon as you take up the drive before 2 seconds has elapsed.

It works Ok and is more convenient than the handbrake IF you can remeber to use it!

thank you very much sounds ok As i have been used to automatics it will come in handy

• 4 weeks later...

You press the brake pedal hard until you hear one beep. The system holds the vehicle for 2 seconds at which time you hear two beeps and the brake is released.

The system disengages as soon as you take up the drive before 2 seconds has elapsed.

It works Ok and is more convenient than the handbrake IF you can remeber to use it!

Heh, ok, total n00b question this because of the way I've been taught to drive I ALWAYS use the handbrake. What state does the car have to be in for this to work? Does it have to be on an incline? do you have to be in gear? what about the handbrake? does it auto release?

Unforuntatly, I dont think I can use the system because I find the handbrake easier and more secure, its what ive had drilled into me in order to pass my test two years ago.

Still, I tried it in my T180 last night, and It didnt seem to work (even tho I dont plan on using it, I like using all the toys atleast once :P )

so could anyone point me in the right direction of how it works from step one etc. and under what circumstances does the t180 have to be in? (like angles... hand brake etc..)

thansk in advance :)

Heh, ok, total n00b question this because of the way I've been taught to drive I ALWAYS use the handbrake. What state does the car have to be in for this to work? Does it have to be on an incline? do you have to be in gear? what about the handbrake? does it auto release?

Unforuntatly, I dont think I can use the system because I find the handbrake easier and more secure, its what ive had drilled into me in order to pass my test two years ago.

Still, I tried it in my T180 last night, and It didnt seem to work (even tho I dont plan on using it, I like using all the toys atleast once :P )

so could anyone point me in the right direction of how it works from step one etc. and under what circumstances does the t180 have to be in? (like angles... hand brake etc..)

thansk in advance :)

The car can be on any angle as long as the handbrake is off.

Press the brake HARD until you hear the beep. You then have two seconds to make your hill start. It is very good and despite your apprehension is just the same as the handbrake with the exception that it works on all four wheels. If you are on loose gravel it is far less likely to skid backwards.

The moment the car senses forward torque it releases the footbrake and you will get very smooth hill starts.

You have two seconds until you hear two beeps to signify the brake is being released which is done so gradually (but fairly swiftly). It doesn't sound like long but it is quite sufficient. To reset it if you run out of time press the brake HARD again.

Once you have got used to using it you will use it all the time. Applying the handbrake turns it off.

Good luck!

PS Your hand book gives quite a good explanation! ;)

I just want to add an important detail on how hill assist works which I only found out about yesterday (it's not decribed in the manual).

You can actually have much longer than 2 seconds before the brakes release - you simply press the pedal hard until it beeps and then just keep your foot gently on the brake pedal until your ready to move off - the 2 seconds starts from when you let go of the pedal.

I think this makes it much more useful to use in traffic as you don't have the added complication of having to press the brake pedal hard at the moment you want to move off.

Of course, this works equally well in reverse and to answer an earlier question you do you need to be on a hill for it to work.

It should be said this feature was really designed for use on the slippery stuff when using the handbrake may mean the car slides with the two rear wheels lock - I doubt many RAV4's venture that far off the road though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to add an important detail on how hill assist works which I only found out about yesterday (it's not decribed in the manual).

You can actually have much longer than 2 seconds before the brakes release - you simply press the pedal hard until it beeps and then just keep your foot gently on the brake pedal until your ready to move off - the 2 seconds starts from when you let go of the pedal.

I think this makes it much more useful to use in traffic as you don't have the added complication of having to press the brake pedal hard at the moment you want to move off.

Of course, this works equally well in reverse and to answer an earlier question you do you need to be on a hill for it to work.

It should be said this feature was really designed for use on the slippery stuff when using the handbrake may mean the car slides with the two rear wheels lock - I doubt many RAV4's venture that far off the road though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links