Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Mileage

carinaman

Does anybody have any good stories of High Mileage Toyotas? I would be very interested to hear. My 5 year old Carina E 1.8 is at 120,000 miles so far. The best I heard was of an American Starlet 1.3 which at 13 years old had just topped the 1,000,000 mile mark on its original gearbox and engine. From memory it had 2 clutches, 3,000 mile oil changes, 3 sets of brake pads and discs and not much else. Amazing.:)

in my opion its not how many miles but how its got there! the engines are very strong, (when looked after) its how the vehical drives, as i drive many toyotas you really can feel the difference between a raced and rallyed one comparied to a little old ladys shopping truck! the old saying u look after them and there look after you! its true...

• 4 months later...

I do not agree. Toyota's if they are manufactured well. If you drive a citroen bx, then if it was looked after you would still have problems.

One should never change oil every 3,000 miles from new, as this can cause excessive oil consumption. Bed the engine in up to 20,000 miles and then follow a 3k oil change program.

If the carina is driven properly, I would expect 200k, but problems are likely and are costly.

Just wait and see.

I agree entirely with YarisT, if a car is well maintained, given regular oil changes and servicing (especially a Toyota) it should last you a long, long time.

Of course you will get the excption to the rule but as a whole I think Toyota put together one of the strongest packages available....

Am guessing I won't get silly high mileage out of mine as although she has regular oil changes service etc she isn't driven as nicely as she could be, but at least she's doing what she likes to be doing :D :D

Well, I have a story.

My dad worked with a bloke who cabbed' an 1989 Carina II GL. By the time he gave it to his brother, it had done 427,000 miles, with regular 5,000 oil changes. However, He need need a new clutch and starter motor along the way......

In addition, while searcing for a Toyota forum, i stumbled accross the Toyota 200,000 mile club!

http://footbridge.net/toyota/200.htm

Just copy and paste that into your browser. There is some amazing high mileages there.

Some pretty impressive mileage on that site...

Only know of one Toyota that's above the 200k mark, a mk1 MR2 owned by a member of IMOC and it still does regular track days....

I know people say that you have to look after you car to get the high mileage but to have a car that will still do track days after 200k is not bad going at all....

I've managed 198,000 miles on my old corolla gt (1985) until i killed it on a track day and i'm running on 162000 on my current corolla gti (1990) both cars came with full dealer history and both driven hard B)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think that toyota's are that brilliant.

I have three: I have a toyota camry diesel with only 256,000 miles, and it is almost dead. I changed oil every 3000 miles, serviced regularly etc. I think it will only last up to 300,000 miles, but then I have heard that the older mercedes can go on for half a million miles. So they aren't the best are they?

Well, gregory,

Ok, older Mercedes can go on for half a million miles, but you are paying more for the Merc so it got to last that much, if not more.

I think Toyota is brilliant overall. Anyone can do 'expensive but high quality' i.e. Audis, not many can do 'high quality with reasonable price' i.e. Toyota. :)

• 2 months later...

I have a 1986 extra cab, 2WD, automatic 22R, 4 cylinder , fuel injected Toyota pickup. My father bought it used from the original owner. This truck has sentimental value since my father has passed on.

I passed the 200,000 mile mark this weekend on it, and have 200,438 miles on it right now. I've basically had just minor work done on it. I just had the u-joints replaced and will need to have the crankcase seal replaced. I had a transmission front pump seal leak, and the transmission had to be dropped, but the transmission itself is in perfect condition. It has gears, rather than belts internally.

The is a work truck and has a hoist in it, and goes to construction sites so it's not a sissy truck.

I maintain it religiously; Castrol 20/50 GTX oil every 3000 miles/4 months, 4 ounces of Marvel mystery oil mixed with the gasoline every other tank, and also put in Marvel mystery oil in place of some of the oil when it's changed occasionally. I make sure the air filter is clean, always make sure coolant levels are full; in other words -- keep an eye on it. I love my little truck and I'm looking to go the distance of 400,000 to 500,000!

I've managed 198,000 miles on my old corolla gt (1985) until i killed it on a track day

reassuring to know, when mine's just past the 93k mark, with FTSH :thumbsup:

Hi everyone!

Well a have a little story. I bought a '93 Corolla liftback with 168K in sep of 2000. The car was not abused, but seemed to have suffered a hard use, if you look at the details.

When it was stolen :angry: , the ODO marked 225k in march 2001. I did not have to do much, only oil changes, timing belt and other staff like tyres or spark plugs. I had a really good experience with that rolla. Other cars couldn't resist that use in Argentina... :thumbsup:

Cee Yaa!

Coyote from BA

Argentina

I think the interior falls apart before the mechanicals on Toyotas!!! :lol:

seems to me that toyota's will do the buissness if looked after and maintained properly :thumbsup: mine had done 172,000 and only had the regular oil changes timing belt, brakes, exhaust, tyres etc.

until i started to play around with her......then things started to go horribly wrong........

first the camshafts then a whole new engine but thats another thread....... :censor: :ffs:

lets just say i dont think i shall buy another make of car (unless i win the lottery) :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

188k at 180k had to replace transmission, the replaced tranny is acting up, other than that it KICKS *****!!!!

people had the million man march, I'm going to have the million mile march!!! B)

Hmmm.... my Toyota ('92 Corolla LSX) has 315,000 km on it, roughly 200,000 miles or so.

All that's been done to her is basic maintenance (5k oil changes), as well as suspension once four years ago (damn potholes), a timing belt (original) that decided to die in a spectacular way (it was eight years old), and a plug in the block heater...

Okay, so hitting a moose with it should count as well (scratch one windshield and driver mirror)... Damn, still can't believe the windshield held against a 700lb moose... (But the poor thing's silhouette in the windshield was quite the laughing matter later on...

They build 'em toyotas to take quite the abuse... Engine's still purring away, although she has aquired a taste for oil (a quart or so ever 5000 km). Beyond those minor things, I've had no problems with her... ;)

I've bought an oil-consuming 1986 Corolla 1.3 in 1997, then it had 190 000km on it. I didnt expect the car to last more than a couple of years, so I didnt bother to change oil and other maintenance, except washing it once every year.

The engine has been through countless cold winter starts, and many hours of cruising above 4000rpm (because of the 4 speed transmission). I've never experienced any problems with the engine, allways easy to start.

4 months ago I finally retired the car, with 300 000km on the meter!

So I guess I still could have had the car for several years if I'd only treated it nicer, but on the other side who wants to drive a 1.3 corolla for the rest of their life??

• 6 months later...
Does anybody have any good stories of High Mileage Toyotas? I would be very interested to hear. My 5 year old Carina E 1.8 is at 120,000 miles so far. The best I heard was of an American Starlet 1.3 which at 13 years old had just topped the 1,000,000 mile mark on its original gearbox and engine. From memory it had 2 clutches, 3,000 mile oil changes, 3 sets of brake pads and discs and not much else. Amazing.:)

<_< Hey I have a 1986 toyota SR5 Pickup with 254,000+ Miles on it I love it I replaced the clutch in it due to the throw out bearing Going out. ANyway I love that damn thing I purchased a Honda (CAR) finding out cars really aren't my thing so I will for sure go back to a toyota pickup again (this time a king/etx cab) anyway I still have the truck cant seem to find the will to sale it.

I attached a pic of the truck!

At the shop I work for we have a 1993 Corolla with over 700,000 km (435,000 miles) still coming in just for regular maintanence. I see lots of Toyota's with over 300,000 km still going strong. Sold my 1986 Corolla with 250,000 km to buy my 2003 Echo and the Corolla sold the first day I had it advertised.

Toyotas last forever! ive done 138,000. amazing as my dad neglected it for 2 years (no service, nothing!). Nothing has gone wrong... yet! Got the oil changed last saturday and replaced with a semi-synthetic to make sure ot runs sweet. The only repairing needed after a 2 year thrash appears to be the engine mounts, as the engine tries to climb out of the car every time its started and stopped. :ffs:

I havent been driving that long so unevitably i ended up making a mistake and reversing into a ford fiesta :censor: Damage to her car: wrecked bumper, ****** up trims. Damage to my toyota: 'Slight' scratch on the towbar. Just goes to show how bullet proof toyotas are. Im looking forward to the day when my 12 year old car passes 200,000 and my friends hatches are in pieces after 50k!!! :thumbsup:

:group-cuddles: when I was 16, (i'm 28 now) a friend of mine had a few toyotas in his collection of backyard junk. The first one was a 86 or maybe even older carolla or something, his old man said here you guys have fun with it, so we did. The first time I sat in it I remember the odometer stating 378,000 kms, I thought man that's alot, But we took the rustbucket out in the bush and just trashed the thing, I mean getting stuck in thick bush, jumping creeks (small ones), climbing cliffs, everything. 4 weeks later the thing died but not because of the engine. We came down an embankment at about 70 degrees or so for about 200 ft hit the bottom going about 80 with 6 people in the car. The car bounced off the ground, flew about 5 ft in the air, slid sideways and end up on its side on a pile of broken up ashphalt. FUNNY. We laughed so damn hard. "what's that smell", someone said. Sure enough smoke filled the car instantly, we all got out quick! There was the "carolla bomb", on fire, no water around to put it out, we let it burn, stood back, boom she went. One girl cried. Damn hilariuos! Later that night we went back to where the car was 15 miles in the bush and had a huge bonfire on top of the burnt out car. Some of the best days of my life. Thanx for reading, hope you got a laugh.

• 3 months later...

I have just cracked 163,000 in a '93 carina e (1.6xli) and she just passed a fresh mot on friday, apart from consumables it is all original, and the only negative is the top end is starting to sound a bit agricultural. Toyotas are renowned for there longevity :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

my tercel's body is fallin apart but at 198,000 the engine is still growing strong. it has had the doors and seats replaced, and a new seal put on the engine about 5 years ago.. but other than the fact that there are rust holes in the back 3 inches wide... it is a great car....and most of its problems are easly fixed with duct tape... :thumbsup:

My brother drove an '89 Toyota pickup that had over 220,000 miles in '98 when he totalled it in the rain... truck still drove, but it had frame damage... overall length was reduced by at least 2 feet... Slow as molasses (22R-E, A340E 4-speed automatic, extended cab), but got the job done. He now drives a 2000 Tacoma PreRunner extended cab with the 5VZ-FE V6 with over 107,000 miles.

My '93 Corolla is doing just fine at over 143,000 miles, still on original clutch. Burns close to a quart of oil every 5,000 miles due to worn valve stem seals and valve guides, but otherwise runs well except for the sizeable cloud of smoke it emits at cold startup (a product of the aforementioned worn items). On the other hand, my mum's '96 LS400 burns not a drop of oil at 104,000 miles, which is more than can be said even for brand new Cadillac Northstar V8s! :thumbsup:

We did end up with one of Toyota's lemons... my mum's '96 4Runner with the 5VZ-FE V6 suffered a rod bearing failure at 55,000 miles (I can't complain [much] about this, as it was so kind as to do it within the warranty period!). A 2½-inch hole in the side of your car's engine block can most definitely ruin your day! :crybaby::rolleyes: