Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Passed My Bike Test

kingdeacon

bit crazy as i know nothing on bikes and never thought about getting one, but i got some free lessons and passed my test first go no problems :thumbsup: thing is i want to get a bike now and have no idea what to get? anyone on here have bikes or know much about them?

I have a car and a van, so no need for practical bike as this will be for fun rides in the nice weather when i feel like a burn. i was thinking about a light 250 2 stroke like the aprilia rs 250 but would rather get a jap bike i think, is there any jap bikes as good as the rs 250? or should i get a bigger bike like a r1 and be done with it? bit scared of killing myself on a crazy bike like that though as im a bit mad sometimes

All depends on your budget. Also do you trust yourself on a bigger bike. A 400 is a good place to start, the Honda VFR 400 is a nice bike, with plenty of go. The Aprilia 250RS goes like stink but it drinks the 2 stroke and need regular rebuilds. If you want a real fast bike try looking at the R6's or GSXR600's these are seriously quick and can be picked up for around £3k for a respectable one. :thumbsup:

the Priller RS250 is a mental bike, serious fun - but being a stroker it can be a bit on the violent side !

Best bet ( if you just want something reliable/fun etc ) is to get yourself a CBR600. Light enough to be flickable, decent acceleration and top speed, and it's a comfortable, relaxing ride too. Don't worry about it being a bigger bike than you first planned on. They are beatuifully balanced and they only go as fast as you want them to. The Throttle goes both ways, but with a 4 stroke the power is gentler than a 2 stroke.

You can pick up some decent CBR6s for a couple of grand. ( FN model or later would be good ! )

I presume it's your DAS you've just passed?

Firstly, budget and insurance quotes spring to mind.

It's alright looking at the mid-weight super-sports, but insurance can be a fickle game.

Personally, I would recommend not diving in at the deep end on a bike to begin with.

Depends on what you're looking for from a bike really.

As above, a Honda CBR would make an ideal starter bike to progress into the super-sports world.

All round durability, easy maintenance, and running costs, I'd say something like a Bandit 600. Budget bike, (and some of it shows), but easy fixes and a bullet-proof engine mean no worries!

RS250 - good bikes. Excellent cornering tools to upset the lads on their super-sports bike, but a bit sluggish for the straights.

It's a 2-stroke, so as mentioned above, will need a lot of care and attention, and you'd soon learn how to do a full engine strip!

I'd say, stick Jap, stick 4 stroke, and get a 500/ 600. 400's are ok, but parts are rarer, etc in most cases.

thanks for the replies guys, so something like this would be a good start?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-GSX600F-Bandi...1QQcmdZViewItem

wont be bidding on that as miles away, but that is the sort of thing i want i think. but part of me still wants a rs 250 as i love the power bands of a 2 stroke, forgot to say i never had a bike, but do have a honda atc 250r trike which i blast about on in the woods and get 3rd gear wheelies :)

where is a good place for insurance?

qnome, yep it was my das i passed so being 26 i can now get anything! which is a bit crazy really.

I'm curious as to why it's an Import - Especially since the same model was available in the UK.

A friend of mine used to have one of these, and they are very capable bikes. I'd still go for the CBR myself, or a proper Bandit.

Bennets are good to try for Bike insurance, or Carol Nash.....but it's like any insurance really and benefits from a good phone round. UK spec bikes ( as opposed to grey imports ) generally present less bother with insurance - the same as cars really !

congrats on passing :thumbsup:

got my bike licence a couple of years ago now - didn't want the hassle of getting a small bike then getting used to it and looking to change and then another so i went in at the deep and got myself a GSXR600 K1 - Only bought it cos i liked the look of it - had it a few months and then got an R1 to replace it with...

Preferred the Gixxer as an all rounder -

imo if you can afford to go for a cbr600 or gixxer - you'll get bored with a 250cc within a week..!

Dont be afraid of getting a 600cc their only super quick if you throttle them - ride them easy until you get used to them then gradually ride it like your supposed to :thumbsup:

However get all your riding kit together 1st - as my instuctor used to say to me: "Get dressed for the fall - not the ride" :lol:

Rash.

p.s some pics - the gixxer - http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3295/stock004gr8.jpg

and the R1 - http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8215/stock015rj6.jpg

thanks for the replies guys, so something like this would be a good start?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-GSX600F-Bandi...1QQcmdZViewItem

wont be bidding on that as miles away, but that is the sort of thing i want i think. but part of me still wants a rs 250 as i love the power bands of a 2 stroke, forgot to say i never had a bike, but do have a honda atc 250r trike which i blast about on in the woods and get 3rd gear wheelies :)

where is a good place for insurance?

qnome, yep it was my das i passed so being 26 i can now get anything! which is a bit crazy really.

Even something like that mate, yeah.

As Boro said, I'd try and steer clear of imports, just for insurance purposes, but also some European and N.American ones are restricted compared to what we get over here.

The GSXF is basically the Bandit 600, but with a fairing. Different cams, and gearing means it's actually a bit meatier than a Bandit 600, and the full fairing is a winter/ bad weather bonus should you ever use it then.

This one's a bargain, considering it's age and low mileage: eBay Bandit 600

Bandit 600 was my Dads first bike after his test , great wee bike in black looked crackin without the fairing . Treat yourself to a nice wee mille ;)

I did my cbt but never got round to the test , regret it now . :D well done !!

Congrats on passing your test :clap:

Being into 2-Stroke karting, I love the revs and smell of 2-Stroke motors, but IMO if you can get a GSXR 600 that would be B)

thanks everyone, its crazy that i passed really as i only started few weeks ago. im going to a bike shop next week and think i will be buying a brand new bike as i think its time to treat myself, looking at the new r6, what a bike!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...ome/8/home.aspx

R6 is a stunner !.

Mind how you go with it mate. I remember when I got my first 'big' bike. All I'd ridden was a 125 till I passed my test - and there's a world of difference..........mainly in the weight . Nearly dropped it on the first low speed corner ! Take time to get used to it, remember your lifesavers etc have fun !

( I'm jealous btw........must get another bike myself ! )