Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T-sport P0420 Catalyst

BigJon84

Hi guys, im new to this forum but i hope you can help me out!!

Recently i have had an engine warning light come on my 2002 T-Sport. Toyota checked it and told me it was calaylst or lambda sensors. They cleared the light.

The light came back again and i checked it myself with a scan tool. Sure enough it came up with P0420 low Catalyst efficiency.

I used my scan tool to check the lambda sensors. The post cat sensor voltage is varying pointing to breakthrough through the cat. I am thinking that i am gonna need a new cat.

The car is due MOT next month and im wondering if anyone has ever put a T-Sport through an MOT with this error on there car. I will clear the light and put it in for testing and hope it passes. Anyone ever done this? did they pass?

If it fails i will have to change the cat. WHile Mr T wants £650 just for the part!!!! Does anyone know where i can get a cheaper one? I have tried breakers with no luck. I have searched the internet bu can only find 1.oL cats which i assume are different to mine. I would prefer to either keep a toyota or pattern part on the car. Im not keen on sports cats but if someone knows of one that passes the MOT and is a straight replacement then i would get this if it saved me money.

Any advice is welcomed as i have run out of ideas!!!

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your troubles and welcome to TOC.

Envy Performance do a sports cat and mid section that will fit your tsport for considerably less than £650.

I have a megan racing header, envy sports cat mid section and HKS hyper muffler on mine all in stainless - so effectively for life.

Give Kevin at Envy a ring - they have their own sub forum thingy on here. Emailing them is ok, but phoning is usually quicker. As far as I know they keep the mid section in stock these days. Hope that helps

Clarky

Cheers for the tip Clarky. I will give envy a ring.

Does anyone know if the cat has changed at all from 2002 model to the present model? I know the part number from toyota is 17410 213 10. Just wondering if any T-Sport cat will be ok or if they have changed it at all.

Cheers for the help people.

No probs - but yes Im almost certain the cats changed in the facelift cars. Im pretty sure that Kimi found this out a while back.

Im sure however that the one you've been offered will fit!

Howdee Fella!

Try cleaning the air flow meter first before shelling out on a new cat. dirty air flow meters can knock out a variety of fault coded including a P0420 code. Worth checking out matey.

I will give the MAF a clean but i dont think it will make a difference. I believe that the flag for the P0420 code comes from the post cat oxygen sensor. Therefore even with a dirty MAF if the cats ok it should not flag.

I have read reports on here of it solving the problem though so i am a little confused. Anyone know the logic behind a dirty air flow sensor flagging a cat problem?

Does anyone know if the cat has changed at all from 2002 model to the present model? I know the part number from toyota is 17410 213 10. Just wondering if any T-Sport cat will be ok or if they have changed it at all.

The TS ph.1 have one cat' and the ph.2 have a "pré-cata" before the cat' and a sensor on the header... :unsure:

The TS ph.1 have one cat' and the ph.2 have a "pré-cata" before the cat' and a sensor on the header... :unsure:

I am guessing being a november 2002 car mine will be a ph1 T-Sport? Whats the sensor on the header on ph2's? surely not a 3rd Lambda sensor?????