Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does This Look Alwhite?

yellowchinaman

Hi all. I've been asking a lot of questions about installing inductions and all on the 3SGE and I was never happy with mine. Now I think I'm satisfied. Great grunt and power coming from the bonnet but have I done it correctly?

Under the hood

Fullinduction.jpg

As most of you know there are 2 tubes connecting to this. One below about 1" and one behind about 0.75". I think the bigger one takes in air for when the car is warming up because I've connected it to the blue tube which is smaller like so:

Idelinletpipe.jpg

In doing so I've noticed that my rev now sits on 1.7 when warming up where as before it would rev all the way up to 2.8. I think it's better now because it'll save me a wee bit more petrol when warming up and makes less of a noise in the morning. :)

The other tube had no where to go. So I plugged a mini filter on the end like so.

Inductionbackbreather.jpg

I think this is ok. I didn't want to drill a hole in the main pipe you see.

So the whole thing looks like this:

Inductioncloseupwithminifiltercopy.jpg

Best thing of all I've shed a bit of weight.

oldairbox.jpg

I didn't realised how heavy the air box and resonator weighed.

Heh it looks very cool, ive no idea if its right tho sorry. :D

As said you need a cool air supply to the filter also I would be a Tad concerned about sucking in any Battery acid or Battery gas/fumes into the engine with the filter being mounted so close to the Battery

That's exactly what I was thinking. I took the bottom part of the air box. Removed the clips. And tried to bolt it back on and act as a shield from the heat but the cone sitting on top was too high and couldn't close the bonnet properly. I'm going to pop down a local metal works and see if I can make some kind of isolation.

it wouldnt be the fact its close to the Battery worrying me.... just the heat soak. Just about every GT4 that exists has the filter located next to the Battery and ive never heard of any problems

looks close enough to the stock air feed to me for cold air.

i prefer a trd panel filter and drilled air box to be honest

It sits about the same as mine and I've had no problem with it... I'm just letting it hang in there until I can get around to making a bracket for it...

DSCF0187.jpg

DSCF0188.jpg

if you look inside your fender you'll see more stock air box crap..take it out and run your piping into the fender and locate the filter there...you'll get colder air...right now your losing power sucking in hot air

I've never heard of Battery gas/fumes before but I know the heat is an issue.

What does Dak's custom job look like?

playr158 job looks good. Some time next week I'll figure out how to take out the fender and take a look inside. If no then I'll just have to settle for a normal cold air feed pipe from the front to force more coldd air in and plug it to the end of the cone. As for brackets to hold it up I have some. But none actually fits very well and tobe honest it's stable enough holding it's self up and it's not hitting anything or drooping.

Mine started oiff looking like this.

September200421.jpg

Went through this

8Coldairboxtrialfitting.jpg

and ended up looking like this

18042006genralpicsgt44557bf.jpg

But i did have to move the Battery.

I`m sure it wouldn`t be too hard to make an enclosure behind the Battery though. :thumbsup:

Great Job dak. I think I'll use the old air box as a template to make a mould (But a bit bigger) and make an enclosure.

Cheers Adam :thumbsup:

Yelowchinaman. If you`re feeling adventurous, you could make up a heat shield to run from the suspension turret to the front panel making a kind of seperate compartment for the Battery and the air filter. It would have the added benefit of saving the Battery from excessive heat as well. Just an idea. :D

just fyi thats not my car thats a friend's setup

i used an AEM hyundia tiburon 3" cold air intake for my setup :)

although when i'm finished my car i'll have something similar to DAK except i'll have filter mounted in fender