Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt

TonyRay

The timing belt on our ageing Honda failed the other day, fortunately it failed as I tried to start the engine (& not while I was enroute to work).

But it got me thinking about our Verso, after 18 months it's just clocked 24,000 miles and I can't find any reference in the manual about when it's best to change or inspect it. 60,000 miles is average for most cars, but it varies from model to model and can be as low as 30,000 miles. Has anyone come across info regarding this?

TR

60K or 6yrs whichever is sooner, though if you have a VVTi engine it'll be chain driven anyway.

The timing belt on our ageing Honda failed the other day, fortunately it failed as I tried to start the engine (& not while I was enroute to work).

But it got me thinking about our Verso, after 18 months it's just clocked 24,000 miles and I can't find any reference in the manual about when it's best to change or inspect it. 60,000 miles is average for most cars, but it varies from model to model and can be as low as 30,000 miles. Has anyone come across info regarding this?

TR

Hi -

Being a chain, I've heard that it never requires replacement. Only after about 120000 km should it be inspected, mainly for tension.

Erwin

Cheers folks, that's one less thing to worry about.

Footnote:

The Honda's being towed this week, my local mechanic is certain there'll be damage to the rods - it's an Interference engine(?). He reckons a bill of..., second thoughts it's too painful to mention :!Removed!: . Given the options, it's still a good runner and might be worth salvaging.

• 5 months later...

Hi, it depends if its the older shape 1.6 then that has a belt (60-65k), the rest have chains which generaly only need inspecting for tension.