Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud (cat Like) Noise From Mr2 Mk11 Engine

mark.pearce

Hi,

I have just had the alternator replaced on my mk11 mr2 20i, after which the engine makes a loud wine, the only way to describe it is like an 'angry cat'' it drives perfect, but was wonder if anyone would know if this is related to the fan belt being to tight, etc....???

Call me paranoid but....

Or the belt is too loose. Does the sound stop when you rev the engine? There is a belt tension nut you can adjust in the engine bay. You have to loosen the locking nut first thought, otherwise you'll stretch/potentially snap the bolt.

Sounds like it could be too tight - what does the tension feel like on the belt - there should be a little play. If it feels very stiff - you need to loosen it ASAP since too much tension will strain the bearings on the Alternator, and they will soon fail - meaning recon/new alternator - an expensive prospect!!

no idea! havent even checked yet new to these cars, but taking it down to ol mans tommorrow night and will go through what youve written earlier.

Don't suppose you know if theres somewhere I can get step by step instructions of how to check/adjust all that needs adjusting and checking?

Could take it to Toyota garage to get it checked but they'd take the ***** with labour charges.

Mark send me a message - damiencgreen@hotmail.com - I will send you the information you require by return email.