Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lifespan Of Toyota Diesel Engine

el gordo

Has anyone got a Toyota diesel engine that has done more than 150k miles? Or does anyone know roughly what sort of mileage can be expected from Toyota's diesel engines?

I have a 6 year old Vauxhall whose diesel engine has reached "end of life" after 76K miles. Absolutely unbelievable. Never again. :ffs:

I am very keen to buy an Avensis Tourer Diesel but is there anyone out there who can tell me that their Toyota engine is running good past 100K miles?

Cheers

ElGordo

Never owned a diesel Toyota, but the 3 petrol Toyotas i've owned have all ran faultlessly with 130K, 113K and now 84K :thumbsup:

My Surf has done 100k my father in laws Surf had done 85k and my neighbours Surf had done 135k and all of them never miss a beat (touch wood)

As for engines lasting over 100k it all depends on many variables like had the oil and filter and fuel filter been changed at the recommeded service intervals.

But i would say if a diesel is serviced and looked after i see no reason for it do over 150k and then some.

lol there's a mk1 mr2 with the original 1.6 petrol engine that is still doing track days with over 300k on it.... If it's been looked after should last longer than you lol :D

the average diesel engine should do 200k.

My old Vauxhall Astra 1.7D did over 350k miles :yes:

Our old petrol Carina GTi had done 170k+ with no probs :thumbsup:

TLC is needed though :D

I am no particular vauxhall fan but i think yours is paticularly harsh. The old astra diesel is a proven unit, my mates astra estate (van type) goes very well for 187k, my wifes 1999 astra is running well at 101k although that is petrol.

But ditching vauxhall for toyota is a good move anyway :thumbsup:

Has anyone got a Toyota diesel engine that has done more than 150k miles? Or does anyone know roughly what sort of mileage can be expected from Toyota's diesel engines?

I have a 6 year old Vauxhall whose diesel engine has reached "end of life" after 76K miles. Absolutely unbelievable. Never again. :ffs:

I am very keen to buy an Avensis Tourer Diesel but is there anyone out there who can tell me that their Toyota engine is running good past 100K miles?

Cheers

ElGordo

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. 250K makes me feel warm - it's more like what I'd expect if the engine's looked after. Vauxhall's quality control is so variable and if you get a bad one, it's rock bottom. Have a look at http://www.zafirauk.tk

Test drove an Avensis D4-D today and it's got a very smooth and refined drive. I can see why some would call it boring but I call it stress free driving. Smooth as silk and the engine (after warm up) is amazingly quite.

I've jumped into the Toyota world as of this afternoon. The money's down and delivery can't come soon enough. ! B)

Thanks to ya all

Gordo

• Like 1

Congratulations, hopefully it'll last as long as you need it to & longer.

Don't be a stranger to this site now, post some pics when you get it if you can & don't hesitate to ask any more questions, the things some members know is frankly amazing :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. 250K makes me feel warm - it's more like what I'd expect if the engine's looked after. Vauxhall's quality control is so variable and if you get a bad one, it's rock bottom. Have a look at http://www.zafirauk.tk

Test drove an Avensis D4-D today and it's got a very smooth and refined drive. I can see why some would call it boring but I call it stress free driving. Smooth as silk and the engine (after warm up) is amazingly quite.

I've jumped into the Toyota world as of this afternoon. The money's down and delivery can't come soon enough. ! B)

Thanks to ya all

Gordo

I had a Vauxhall Vectra diesel on a V Plate only did 106k before it started playing up, changed that for a "New" Mondeo that lasted 3 years did 148k but started to cost a lot of cash, in 3 years 2 fuel pumps, 1 Aircon pump, 1 water/power sterring pump, numerous rear brake calipers, bonnet gas struts, rear subframe front O/S spring assembly. And NO I am not an erratic driver. Would not touch Vauxhall or Fords again

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1996 Carina E diesel turbo. Its done 130k. The only thing is my sump has just rusted through - small leak at the moment, but I'm going to have to change it or the car. So is this a fault of the diesel engine or just the age of the car? Interestingly i had been thinking of a diesel astra as a replacement!

• 13 years later...

My sisters Toyota Auris (UK made) has 354.000 km on the odometer, this car has always been driven at least 50 km when started and 100 km per day or more when driven.
The car is 2007 model, it feels like there is no wear and compared to my other sisters Corolla same year with 220.000 km on it, then the Auris is like new. The Engines in both cars have been maintenance free apart from lubrication and filters. The Auris had a clutch defect when new and was repaired as warrant and free of charge. The Auris has got some brake overhaul, one set of disks and few sets of pads, but the original brakes did not need any service until about 200.000 km.
I would not hesitate to say that the 1.4 D4D turbo engine in these years was a successful engine, but I see that somewhat younger engines after October 2008 had some or various problems.

• 1 year later...

Mine has made 310 000 and a has made 420 000 with 3.0, they are still moving without any issue. D4d, 3.0, automatic transmission, double cab and a 4x4.i am enjoying this vehicle. 

In fact I have missed some words in my previous post, to say my colleague 's d4d has made 420 000 so far. 

My Avensis 2009 has 200000 miles without any issue. They are very good engines and there are a lot of Avensis for sale that have done 300000. The D4D and the D-CAT engines combines best with a manual gearbox. But as some of them age they tend to smoke and mpg goes down. This is common and they issue could be DPF Injector, DPF, reprogramming ECU. But only cars under 2009 had this problem. But i have driven a year with this problem and its still going strong.

Had a Lexus 2.2 Diesel. Never again! Engine and gearbox a big pile of poo. Massive turbo lag, mismatched short gearing and a 6th gear that laboured below 80mph. Head gasket went at 187,000 miles and I scrapped it. Build quality was good but designer who thought engine and gearbox and turbo were a good match must of been on drugs! Certainly not up to the Lexus name. Should of bought an IS 250 V6 petrol auto. 

Had a brand new 2007 Toyota Corolla 1.4D4D, 89bhp, in France and that was fine.

James.👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Auris James said:

Had a Lexus 2.2 Diesel. Never again! Engine and gearbox a big pile of poo.

I've got that engine in my Avensis. The engine and gearbox are fantastic.  The turbo comes in at about 14,500 revs and then, it pulls like a train in every gear.

Sixth gear isn't for quick acceleration.  But, it will sit at 80mph which is only 2,000rpm in 6th. And, should you need to accelerate quickly in 6th gear when you are already 10MPH  above the speed limit, it only takes half a second to put it into 5th which would be a more appropriate gear to accelerate in at that engine speed.

I would also argue a head gasket going at 187,000 miles isn't the end of the world.

The 2.0 diesel is typecally free for headgasket problen unless it overheats. 

The turbocharger makes the car so fast. Max boost at 22000 rpm. The engine can even take chiptuning. I chiptuned my Avensis to 150 hp and it was fast off the line. 

8 minutes ago, Ikram Shahar said:

Max boost at 22000 rpm

Methinks you've made a typo.

Yes. I meant max boost at 2200 rpm 🙂

I did over 180k in  Fiesta diesel in 3 years.  Only issue was the particulate problem. My mechanic used to thrash it before the MOT.  It was serviced with an oil change every 6k/6weeks.

Mercedes 220D, 185k in 15 years, I put 100k on in last 5 years.  Predicted life 300k.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I worked in Africa in the 70,s the cars that kept going, with minimal maintenance, were Toyota’s and Subarus.

I travelled in many without any worry about there reliability. Some were looked as though they were about to fall apart but they were just indestructible. Many had odometer readings of well over 300km and I bet most of those had been clocked by “ Honest John”!