Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina Electrical Problem - Help

slashbracket

My Toyota Carina was being driven by my son-in-law and I got a phone call to say the speedo and rev counter had stopped working along with the electric windows. I said it was probably a fuse and without a replacement he continued the journey. When he got back to his house, a friend replaced the fuse (they looked in the manual to see which fuse as the most likely). It was a 10A fuse and they replaced it with a spare 15A fuse found in the engine compartment fuse box. The fuse blown was in the steering column vicinity fuse box. The windows and instruments then worked again

Since this was done 3 weeks ago, there have been strange electrical problems. The car drives ok and all external lights work except that the hazard warning lights do not. Also the economy light is now working (having bought the car from my son 5? years ago, I have never seen it before and didn’t know there was one! Also the key fob was no longer locking or unlocking the car.

The most perplexing problem is regarding the interior light and the door open warning light. With the door open, the light and warning lights are on as they should be. When the door is shut, they both flash 4 or 5 times a second. I have turned off the interior light so that I can drive in the dark without a flashing interior light.

The Battery has been flat a few times in the past 2 weeks. The car has not been used much in that period (in fact it only gets a trip to the local shops most days anyway). I put this down to lack of a long run so charged the Battery and left it a few days. The Battery was flat again. Today, I measured the drain current and it was about 0.3 amps dropping to 0.2 after 10 seconds or so. This would be why the battery goes flat. I then started taking out the engine compartment fuses one by one and soon discovered that removing the fuse going to the interior lights (and other things), dropped the drain current to more like would expect. Removing that fuse also stopped the door open warning light flashing. The fuse also powers the radio). This fuse is NOT the same fuse that originally blew.

The only thing on the car that gives a flashing of that frequency I think is the alarm (maybe the flash of the indicator when opening or closing the door with the fob, maybe there is a short somewhere between the central locking with key fob and the interior light door switches.

I took my car to my local garage and their electrical man looked at it but said that it wouldn’t be straightforward to sort it out and might be quite costly. I took the car back and theyt didn’t charge me. I trust the garage as I have used them many times.

So where do I go from here. Has anyone got any thoughts please – tether and end are becoming closer ;-)

Sorry this is so long but it’s a getting to be a real pain in the proverbial – thanks for reading

Hi there,

It sounds to me like you have a shortage somewhere in you electrical system. As you mention yourself it is very much likely that the fault is the cables to the central locking and the doorswitches. My suggestion is to have a look at those cables that goes in to the doors. They can get broken after a while.

My Toyota Carina was being driven by my son-in-law and I got a phone call to say the speedo and rev counter had stopped working along with the electric windows. I said it was probably a fuse and without a replacement he continued the journey. When he got back to his house, a friend replaced the fuse (they looked in the manual to see which fuse as the most likely). It was a 10A fuse and they replaced it with a spare 15A fuse found in the engine compartment fuse box. The fuse blown was in the steering column vicinity fuse box. The windows and instruments then worked again

Since this was done 3 weeks ago, there have been strange electrical problems. The car drives ok and all external lights work except that the hazard warning lights do not. Also the economy light is now working (having bought the car from my son 5? years ago, I have never seen it before and didn’t know there was one! Also the key fob was no longer locking or unlocking the car.

The most perplexing problem is regarding the interior light and the door open warning light. With the door open, the light and warning lights are on as they should be. When the door is shut, they both flash 4 or 5 times a second. I have turned off the interior light so that I can drive in the dark without a flashing interior light.

The battery has been flat a few times in the past 2 weeks. The car has not been used much in that period (in fact it only gets a trip to the local shops most days anyway). I put this down to lack of a long run so charged the battery and left it a few days. The battery was flat again. Today, I measured the drain current and it was about 0.3 amps dropping to 0.2 after 10 seconds or so. This would be why the battery goes flat. I then started taking out the engine compartment fuses one by one and soon discovered that removing the fuse going to the interior lights (and other things), dropped the drain current to more like would expect. Removing that fuse also stopped the door open warning light flashing. The fuse also powers the radio). This fuse is NOT the same fuse that originally blew.

The only thing on the car that gives a flashing of that frequency I think is the alarm (maybe the flash of the indicator when opening or closing the door with the fob, maybe there is a short somewhere between the central locking with key fob and the interior light door switches.

I took my car to my local garage and their electrical man looked at it but said that it wouldn’t be straightforward to sort it out and might be quite costly. I took the car back and theyt didn’t charge me. I trust the garage as I have used them many times.

So where do I go from here. Has anyone got any thoughts please – tether and end are becoming closer ;-)

Sorry this is so long but it’s a getting to be a real pain in the proverbial – thanks for reading

• 10 months later...

I thought I had replied to my message months ago thanking the BALIKBAYAN for his reply

I gott to the bottom of the problem - or rather my garage did. I had the car in because the ABS light which was sometimes on and sometimes off when driving finally after some years was on when driving and so the MOT test failure. I took it to the dealers and the wheel sensor replaced and they simply put back the fuse which was originally taken out - it WASNT a spare - it is obvious that this was the problem. It does seem strange that removing a fuse could have the effect that it did but i suppose its all to do with modern cars.

The MOT retest was ok and then a week later the ABS light started its on off again. The garage said the other front wheel sensor was faulty as well. Sometimes its off - sometimes on. It can stay like that until the next MOT - Dont want to spend another 200 quid

failed.

Hi there,

It sounds to me like you have a shortage somewhere in you electrical system. As you mention yourself it is very much likely that the fault is the cables to the central locking and the doorswitches. My suggestion is to have a look at those cables that goes in to the doors. They can get broken after a while.

The battery has been flat a few times in the past 2 weeks. The car has not been used much in that period (in fact it only gets a trip to the local shops most days anyway). I put this down to lack of a long run so charged the battery and left it a few days. The battery was flat again. Today, I measured the drain current and it was about 0.3 amps dropping to 0.2 after 10 seconds or so. This would be why the battery goes flat. I then started taking out the engine compartment fuses one by one and soon discovered that removing the fuse going to the interior lights (and other things), dropped the drain current to more like would expect. Removing that fuse also stopped the door open warning light flashing. The fuse also powers the radio). This fuse is NOT the same fuse that originally blew.