Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do Sat Nav's Work Through Rav4 Windscreen?

tufty9

I've heard some cars have windscreens that block the GPS signals on portable sat nav untis. Does anyone know if the markII RAV4's windscreen is compatible with sat navs?

Can anyone recommend a Sat Nav unit which also includes speed camera location warnings? Or has anyone tried the Talex speed camera location unit, and is it any good? Thanks.

I've heard some cars have windscreens that block the GPS signals on portable sat nav untis. Does anyone know if the markII RAV4's windscreen is compatible with sat navs?

Can anyone recommend a Sat Nav unit which also includes speed camera location warnings? Or has anyone tried the Talex speed camera location unit, and is it any good? Thanks.

Hi,

I have a RAV4 D4D GX 02 plate and I use a Tom Tom Go 510 :thumbsup: , this has features such as bluetooth, major european roads and safety camera's as standard, and details the speed limits on major roads so no nasty surprises if your are unfamiliar with an area.....I believe that you can also download futher speed camera information for a cost. There have been no problems with the windscreen on this model, tunnels can be a bit patchy.

The benefits of the Tom Tom is being portable it can be transfered to different vehicles and also include cycle and walking routes as well.

Cheers

RAV4Girl

I have a Tom Tom One which works great in my '55 XTR. The Speed Camera database can be downloaded here. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ Hope this helps.

Mate, I have a 2000 model RAV4 and have recently bought a Tom Tom One Sat Nav and it works spot on. All I've heard is fantastic reviews and pure reliabilty. I find it straight forward and perfect in every way.

£199 at the moment in PCWorld. You can pay a small subscription and upload all the speed camera locations etc.... but all the points of interest such as petrol stations, parking and resteraunts etc are already installed free. :thumbsup:

I have a TomTom Nav5 for the PDA and works fine in mine. It has a seperate gps receiver about size of a swan match box. Can be placed any where in car. Have trouble in wifes car though as she has the heat reflecting screen in her 206cc and I have to place the receiver in the back so it signals through the rear screen.

Speed camera db is available from the gpsworld web site, but you have to pay for it..Very accurate though also worth getting the POI (Points Of Interest) installer as you can install various other poi from there site as well.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I concur with you guys - have an 05 XTR, TomTom works a treat. Speedcamera data can be updated regularly.

The only drawback is the female voice sounds just like my ex-wife...

:huh:

I think the only cars with windscreen that are a problem are those with heated elements for defrosting (fords, mainly).

Don't think this has ever been an option on the RAV - I've a Tom Tom Go (classic) and it is great.

Cheers,

Ali