Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loud Rumble

StuartAr

Hi all

I hadnt actually noticed this but taking a friend out in the 4 he almost immediately commented on the loud rumbling noise from the car. Now he's mentioned it im convincing myself I can really hear a deep rumble that goes when the clutch is down/in neutral.

Is the 4 generally very loud or is something amiss (gearbox oil maybe?)

Stu

Hi all

I hadnt actually noticed this but taking a friend out in the 4 he almost immediately commented on the loud rumbling noise from the car. Now he's mentioned it im convincing myself I can really hear a deep rumble that goes when the clutch is down/in neutral.

Is the 4 generally very loud or is something amiss (gearbox oil maybe?)

Stu

Poss worn clutch release bearing?? First manifests as a sort of chirpping noise when the clutch is down...

Poss worn clutch release bearing?? First manifests as a sort of chirpping noise when the clutch is down...

Hmm, no chirping noise it just loses the rumble as you put the foot on the clutch. It may just be the whole 4wd gear and I'm getting paranoid about it now. I'll see if i can isolate it on the way home tonight.

Hmm, no chirping noise it just loses the rumble as you put the foot on the clutch. It may just be the whole 4wd gear and I'm getting paranoid about it now. I'll see if i can isolate it on the way home tonight.

When was the gearbox oil last replaced??

Oh and if you have problems finding where it's coming from, get a long piece of wood and hold one end against various parts of the engine/gearbox and your ear to the other. Very handy trick for locating where knocking/rattling/rumblings coming from... Just watch you don't get it jamed into any moving parts like alternater belt etc...

• 2 weeks later...

When was the gearbox oil last replaced??

Oh and if you have problems finding where it's coming from, get a long piece of wood and hold one end against various parts of the engine/gearbox and your ear to the other. Very handy trick for locating where knocking/rattling/rumblings coming from... Just watch you don't get it jamed into any moving parts like alternater belt etc...

hahahah Ive just had a vision of me being thrown round the car attached to a bit of wood, cartoon style. Good tip though.

It gets a *lot* louder with 4 people in the car, and its still there coasting downhill in neutral. It seems a lot worse starting from cold as well. Someone else mentioned gearbox oil (the exact advice was "lob a load of slick50 in and shut up", but thats a mini-driver for you ;-) )The car was "fully serviced" upon delivery when I bought it, although I imagine that was a fairly cheap "full service" and it may not have been changed (if its even a regular service item??)

what model is your 4?

does it make the noise when stationary?

try putting the car in gear while stationary and clutch right down if the noise is still there then its more likely to be engine related than transmission.

does the noise go away when clutch is released? if so then possible release bearing.

could also be worn thrustwashers on the crankshaft, though rare, or worn main bearings in the engine. if it seems engine related get the oil pressure checked (not just that the oil pressure light goes out, ive seen these go out on a ST-185 with only 500ml of oil in)

also worth checking the wheel bearings

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links