Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ae92 Broke Down For 1st Time! (any Help Appreciated)

branney

I was driving along in a 30mph zone and suddenly the engine lost all power. I thought it had stalled so i changed down to 2nd and all I got was more engine braking. I had to coast to a stop. The starter/battery seem ok when i turn the ignition, but it seems the engine is not igniting any petrol.

The spark plugs are fairly new. I was wondering does this sound like the distributor?

It seems I can take the cap off with 2 flathead screws, except they are a bit rusted and also the radiator is getting in the way. I've been quoted £40 to tow to a garage. How much would a new distibutor be, or is there anything else I should try first?

I think the timing belt was replaced not too long ago (maybe 3 or 4 years). Could it be that?

I had the same problem on one of my MR2's=, it turned out to be the EFI fuse, I don;t know if the AE92 has EFI but if its a fuse could be worth trying :D

I had a similar problem before with my ae92. It was my fuel pump which had loosened and the wire had come off. Do you see petrol under the car?

I had a similar problem before with my ae92. It was my fuel pump which had loosened and the wire had come off. Do you see petrol under the car?

Maybe your timingbelt is broken :help:

I tried swapping some fuses around to no avail. Turns out it was the timing belt!

I thought it had been done recently, but 'recently' was about 55,000 miles ago...

I was pretty sure I didn't have to worry as this is not an 'interference engine' (so no valves should be bent). But the garage I took it to looked in their book and said it is an interference engine.

This is the 1990 non-TVIS (red top from memory). Anyone know for sure before they try and charge me £400?

Maybe your timingbelt is broken :help:

I tried swapping some fuses around to no avail. Turns out it was the timing belt!

I thought it had been done recently, but 'recently' was about 55,000 miles ago...

I was pretty sure I didn't have to worry as this is not an 'interference engine' (so no valves should be bent). But the garage I took it to looked in their book and said it is an interference engine.

This is the 1990 non-TVIS (red top from memory). Anyone know for sure before they try and charge me £400?

Just what i sayed the timing belt might be broken :thumbsup: :!Removed!: