Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance Quotes?

Bluefly

Hopefully the Forum will be able to assist me on this.

Been years since I had a scrape, but I had one back in May this year. I agreed to handle the claim personally, rather than have it go through my then insurance company, and asked the other party's insurance to provide me with several quotes from various repairers. I followed this up, but they hadn't had anything in.

Never heard nothing, until today, when a bill for the work landed on my mat! I gave them a hard time over the absence of any quotes. Can they just do this, go ahead with ANYONE'S quote, which could be way over any others that may have come in?

Any advice?

Bluey :angry:

well, if you handled it personally rather than through official channels, then they could do what they wanted...

You, of course, dont need to pay it - but then they may take you to the small claims court.

It's the other party's Insurance Compnay that has sent me the bill. I did ask them to submit quotes, but they haven't. I could see the point if the other driver and I agreed to keep it away from our insurance companies, but she didn't. So, I would have expect her company to get several quotes.

Not sure where you stand with that. Is the amount unreasonable or is it just the principle of the matter??

Don't forget you have a legal obligation to tell your insurance company about the bump even though you chose to handle it yourself. It still has to go on your accident history. :thumbsup:

Yeh, I told my then insurance co. about the accident, and that I would be dealing with it myself, and duly ticked the 'for info' box on the claims form. The marks on my car I managed to polish out, and I thought the same of the other party's car (I took a photo of it). I have just phoned the repair garage who said that they removed the rear bumper and indicators, repainted and remounted, all for £503.

I have also seen paperwork which states that I agreed to use AXA's approved repairer, which I never did. So it's cost AND principal involved here.

I had a similar thing a few years ago. I The only scrape I've had in 14 years of driving. It was to a 10 year old fiesta which was a right wreck and the only damage was to a wing (just paint) and a front light (one lense). Nothing serious at all. Didn't want to go through insurance so I asked them to send me a quote. About 3 months or so later a bill turned up for 1400 quid! :eek: I just ignored it and moved house (not because of that!!) and 3 years later I haven't heard anything so they can whistle for it! :thumbsup:

Hiya, I work in Motor Insurance Claims so might be able to help.

EDIT: removed this bit as I misunderstood the situation :D

I think it's mroe the fact that it's the other parties' car that had the accident damage, and Bluefly offered to settle it outside of a claim.

The problem now being, they've sent a bill for the work.

Ah I get it now :)

Sadly, this is something that we also see happens a lot - you can't force someone to go to various garages to get quotes and if he/she has used an Approved Repairer they would've got a guarantee and various other benefits that APR's usually offer.