Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Sparkplugs Should I Use For A Tuned Mr2 Turbo?

sweatyfox

Hiya,

I have a 1990 MR2 turbo which is currently running 370bhp and %$( knows how much boost! lol

(all propperly modded of course)

But I want to change the spark plugs and need to know what I should be using?

Im guessing as its running higher boost I need a hotter grade plug? or is it cooler?

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of something like NGK PFR6B Platinum Laser Spark Plugs as used in Impreza STi's?

Thanks,

Lawrence

NGK sounds good to me mate :thumbsup:

jerry!!

If you're running 370bhp already then replace them with what you've already got... they must be doing the job.

I guess it was already running '370' when you got it.

It needs to be a grade colder than stock... but depends on your charge temps and ignition advance.

I'm running TRD Iridium Grade 7 plugs... and I'm running approx 18 pounds of boost on a standard CT20b... but with HKS Type S intercooler, custom fabricated increased diameter hard pipes, relocated HKS SSQV, TRD thermostat and TRD high pressure rad cap, Paul Port dual pump methanol injection, HKS Racing Suction induction, Aussie downpipe, HKS Super Drager with Hayward & Scott enlarged diameter centre section... and so on...

What's been done to yours to achieve 370?

What turbo are you running? Can't be the CT26 that came with the car... ;)

Fuelling?

Intercooler?

ECU?

Internals?

Interested to find out. Sounds a beast. Powerful Rev1.

If you're running 370bhp already then replace them with what you've already got... they must be doing the job.

I guess it was already running '370' when you got it.

It needs to be a grade colder than stock... but depends on your charge temps and ignition advance.

I'm running TRD Iridium Grade 7 plugs... and I'm running approx 18 pounds of boost on a standard CT20b... but with HKS Type S intercooler, custom fabricated increased diameter hard pipes, relocated HKS SSQV, TRD thermostat and TRD high pressure rad cap, Paul Port dual pump methanol injection, HKS Racing Suction induction, Aussie downpipe, HKS Super Drager with Hayward & Scott enlarged diameter centre section... and so on...

What's been done to yours to achieve 370?

What turbo are you running? Can't be the CT26 that came with the car... ;)

Fuelling?

Intercooler?

ECU?

Internals?

Interested to find out. Sounds a beast. Powerful Rev1.

intriguing indeed.....

Hiya, the previous owner had a lot more money than sense! He blew the original engine up and handed the car over to SAS Performance in Aldershot with an open check book. Ive attached a scan of the invoice, I hope your sitting down comfortably! lol

The turbo is a Greddy one, I will find out which one in a bit.

Rebuilddoc.jpg

25 GRAND FFS. that is scary

25 GRAND FFS. that is scary

Nope. It's a bit on the light side. :(

At around 370bhp, It'll probably be something like a GT30 series. Probably T3 footprint.

Yeah pics!!!

That's a hell of a lot of money to spend on an 11 year old car, and high mileage! What sort of torque is it pulling?

Joe

Hello again,

Ive just been through the paperwork and found out the following:

374.5 BHP

301 LB-FT Torque

And its running 20 PSI :D

I will upload some pics of the car & the dyno graph later.

The plugs need to be hot enough to burn off the carbon deposits but cold enough they don't melt the plug itself.

What do the current plugs look like?

Are they very black and sooty, reasonably clean or looking like there's any damage to them?

If they look ok then stick with that grade or equivalent. If they look a bit off you'll need to modify the grade

See some more info here

http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/basic_know...ange/index.html

THe plugs were a bit black and covered in carbon, so it might be worth me going a grade hotter. Tho the plugs in there are quite old.

Heres what the car looks like.....

MR2a.jpg

MR2d.jpg

and the dyno graph....

Dyno.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links