Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Door Strap

clawhamer

Hello everybody. I have just purchased a Rav4 D4D X-TR 2005 (not the latest shape) I wonder if anybody could tell me what shape is the longer rear door check strap ( is there a bend on it) as it would seem to be a simple matter of cutting the short one that is on my car and welding in a small piece to lengthn the present one to allow the door to open back more. Thank you.

Hello everybody. I have just purchased a Rav4 D4D X-TR 2005 (not the latest shape) I wonder if anybody could tell me what shape is the longer rear door check strap ( is there a bend on it) as it would seem to be a simple matter of cutting the short one that is on my car and welding in a small piece to lengthn the present one to allow the door to open back more. Thank you.

To my knowledge, there is only a longer strap for the new shape model. The door opening is restricted to stop the spare wheel from obscuring the light but the T180 has run flat tyres and no spare wheel so it opens right up.

It is straight and plastic coated. I have ordered the longer one from Toyota (£52) and have offered to let my mate with the old shape model like yours try my old one to see if it offers a bit more opening.

You can try welding a bit in but I would be nervous that it might break and if the wind pushes it back into the bodywork it will make a real mess of the door and the Shell.

If it ever gets here and my mate tries my old one I will let you know if it succesful.

Regards

Hi

Thank you for info. I wil inquire more into it before I start cutting.

Forgot about the wind catching it. Maybe £50 would look cheap enough afterwards

Cheers

Hi

Thank you for info. I wil inquire more into it before I start cutting.

Forgot about the wind catching it. Maybe £50 would look cheap enough afterwards

Cheers

:thumbsup: Try www.japarts.co.uk Rav 90o back door strap, think i paid about £40 + free p&p

08450 66 44 22 make sure you ask for correct model. Baz :thumbsup:

vac6_tn.gif

• 10 months later...

Hi

Does anyone have the part number of the longer strap?

It is worth cross referencing the part number as it may be fitted as standard to any one of the toyota car/van/pickup range... then a trip to the breakers will have it for next to nothing...

Worth checking???

DJ

Hi

It is worth cross referencing the part number as it may be fitted as standard to any one of the toyota car/van/pickup range... then a trip to the breakers will have it for next to nothing...

Worth checking???

DJ

Best-Gear

Not much chance of finding any here.....As most are not standard fit. The new T180 and X-TR have them (4.3 models) as standard, as they have no rear spare hanging off the back..... best bet is FleeBay or some dealers.....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi

don't have the part number but heres a link

>> Ebay Link - Click me <<

to somebody selling some on ebay I think it may be the same people Easy mentioned

regards

Chris

Hi all,

I bought one of these for my 4.2, fitted in about 15 minutes. Cost about £50 from this company

and worth every penny. (BTW the 4.2 is different from the 4.3 they are not interchangeable).

Cheers,

Dave :thumbsup:

Hi

don't have the part number but heres a link

>> Ebay Link - Click me <<

to somebody selling some on ebay I think it may be the same people Easy mentioned

regards

Chris

Hi all,

I bought one of these for my 4.2, fitted in about 15 minutes. Cost about £50 from this company

and worth every penny. (BTW the 4.2 is different from the 4.3 they are not interchangeable).

Cheers,

Dave :thumbsup:

Also shows the US 7 seat version 4.3 version on the photo's....

Hi

Worth checking???

DJ

Best-G ear

Not much chance of finding any here.....As most are not standard fit. The new T180 and X-TR have them (4.3 models) as standard, as they have no rear spare hanging off the back..... best bet is FleeBay or some dealers.....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You can buy this check strap from your local dealer, it is the strap for the left hand drive model. The strap is longer, fits easily, and you dont have to mess about cutting and welding, they are £50 odd quid plus the VAT I think. As mentioned previously, it is shorter on RHD models to stop the rear lights from becoming obscured when the back door is open. If you do fit the LHD version, think about fitting a reflective strip on the end of the door, so it can be seen when open. Kingo :thumbsup:

You can buy this check strap from your local dealer, it is the strap for the left hand drive model. The strap is longer, fits easily, and you dont have to mess about cutting and welding, they are £50 odd quid plus the VAT I think. As mentioned previously, it is shorter on RHD models to stop the rear lights from becoming obscured when the back door is open. If you do fit the LHD version, think about fitting a reflective strip on the end of the door, so it can be seen when open. Kingo :thumbsup:

Great minds think alike!

The Toyota check strap (part No 68650-42070) cost £57.33 + VAT but with a bit of haggling you should get it for £61 all in. It is very well made and is self lubricating like the original. To fit it requires the removal of the rear door panel and I can provide info on doing that if anybody needs it. Then there is 1 bolt and 2 nuts as shown and it is done. It takes about 20 minuts and the difference can be seen.

I have added strips of high viz red tape to the frame and by forcing the flash it has shown up. Imagine how effective it is in the dark.

In my opinion it was well worth the money and has made the rear access far more practical.

door.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Cheers

• 2 months later...

:) Hi, Could you please give me some guidance on the removal of the rear door panel.

Thanks

the4muskateers

Great minds think alike!

The Toyota check strap (part No 68650-42070) cost £57.33 + VAT but with a bit of haggling you should get it for £61 all in. It is very well made and is self lubricating like the original. To fit it requires the removal of the rear door panel and I can provide info on doing that if anybody needs it. Then there is 1 bolt and 2 nuts as shown and it is done. It takes about 20 minuts and the difference can be seen.

I have added strips of high viz red tape to the frame and by forcing the flash it has shown up. Imagine how effective it is in the dark.

In my opinion it was well worth the money and has made the rear access far more practical.

door.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Cheers

Hi Mate

Welcome to the club.

Which model are looking at?

:) Hi, Could you please give me some guidance on the removal of the rear door panel.

Thanks

the4muskateers

Hi Muskateer,

Welcome to the TOC! :thumbsup:

The full description of fitting the 90 degree check stray to a RAV 4.3 is given by top expert Anchorman in this pinned thread.

Rear check strap.

You can also find other useful hints and tips in the pinned section at the top of the RAV forum.

• 1 year later...

Just stumbled upon this snippet if its any use to someone - copied from: Pete (UK)'s 2001 Rav4 Rear Door Modification Details

(UK Version)

The USA version is about seven inches long compared to six inches or so for the UK version. The Toyota part number of the USA (Global?) version is 68650-42040 and its designation is 'Check Assembly, Back Door'. The part cost me approx 80 dollars (US) and shipping and insurance was about 17 dollars (US). My part was obtained through friends of mine in the USA who was kind enough to purchase the part on my behalf at a USA Toyota dealer and ship it to me. I have checked with my local dealer today (6th Nov 2001), and the part number 68659-42040 does not appear on the UK Toyota parts listing. It therefore looks although an overseas source for the part was indeed necessary be that stateside or in Continental Europe.

Also japartsltd £49.99 free p&p on eBay (8left)

Just had to have the coilpack replaced so I won't be converting my back door before Christmas !

Times and prices have moved on a tad ;) This thread was started two years ago!

The part is available in the UK and the price is now £68 PM me if anybody wants one

Kingo :thumbsup:

Will a Toyota dealer do the fitting? I think I read somewhere that they wouldn't because it would obscure the lights -notwithstanding what has been said about reflective strips.

it reallty is an extremely simple thing to fit. If you don't want to fit it yourself, an independant garage should charge you no more then 1 hours labour to install.

We have fitted several, mostly to people wanting to have easy access to put buggies and wheelchairs in the back of their car. The reflective strip is a good idea, a bit of belt and braces, just in case

Kingo :thumbsup: