Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brake Hub And Gear Oil Change On 1994 Rav4

jtq4u

Hi there,

I would like to take off a rear brake hub from my 1994 rav4 to inspect the shoes. I removed the hub nut and wheel.. but couldn't seperate the hub from the axel. My hub puller wouldn't work at there are no studs opposite each other to use to press against the axel stud. Also I suspect that the hub is not attached to the studs - is this true?? This was the case on my old mini when you could lift the brake hub off, over the studs.

I see a couple of threaded holes in the hub so perhaps I am meant to screw in a M type bolt to push it off, this was the case removing the front discs on my FTO. If this is the case does anyone know which M number of bolt it is?

On the second topic I'd like to change the gear oil as it's never been changed and the car has 70k on the clock (spec says change at 30k). On looking at the hole I assume the oil goes in it says "read owners manual before adding gear oil". I dont' ahve the owners manual.. could someone advise as to the procedure? I see a drain plug below the center of the gearbox/dif.. is the gear oil shared with the front diff?

Many thanks In advance

James

Just to say I bought the haynes.

Process is simple.. remove the sideways drain plug on the rhs of the engine and drain.. then replace the plug. remove the fill plug above the oil cooler pipes (or metal pipe in and out loop if you have no cooler) on the front of the engine.. fill on level ground until it overflows out the hole. replace plug. job done!

UK Garages often do a free rear brake check which includes removing the hub.. this is likely to be the easiest way to get it loosened. As they fit them including the part for £45 at formula 1 autocenters and the part would cost me £30 delivered I may as well let them fit them too.

Cheers

James

James , you don't need to take the hub nut off to inspect the rear brakes, the drum should come off from the hub with a light tap, if not put two bolts in the two treaded holes on the drum and slowly do up, this should pull the drum off ( handbrake off :P :) ).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links